Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 03:33 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
With almost every breed of dog, if they are vicious, you can blame the owners or attribute it to a "fluke" in the dog's nature. However, with Pit Bulls, that is not the case. Pit Bulls are unpredictable and are genetically inclined to be aggressive.

Yep...you heard me correctly. I wouldn't have ANY problem with all Pit Bulls being euthanized.
FACT: Pit Bulls are genetically inclined to BOND with people, which is why they are the #1 therapy dogs. Even the most abusive owners and dogfight runners have bred out the trait of human aggression since the beginning of time, because they wanted to be able to manage the dogs without being turned on themselves.

FACT: Only ONE of Michael Vick's 50 abused pit bulls had to be put down for aggression. 7 of them became therapy dogs.

I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who wouldn't have any problem will all BIGOTS being euthanized. But that would be wrong as well, which is why you're still here.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,978,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Question for the pit owners and defenders. Most insurance companies don't cover your beloved little pits. Why is that?
While others gave a much better answer than my own experience allows me to give, it's important to add at this point that insurance companies are always looking for a reason not to cover something. Give them media hype or biased studies (as mentioned earlier, also) and lo and behold, they're happy to save money. Businesses like to save money... surprise! Insurance companies even try to renege on things they're supposed to cover, just to see if you're willing to take time out of your scarce free time as a hard working citizen (or ill person) to challenge them. Whether or not insurance covers something says nothing about its legitimacy. All it says is that they found a justification not to cover it.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:53 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
What a load of horses#*t this thread is based on...! Dogs are ANIMALS, for crying out loud, and if your child gets mauled or killed by one, it is YOUR fault for being stupid enough to leave it alone with an animal!
Walk down the street in San Diego and you cannot avoid Pit Bulls, what's to say that one of those dogs isn't poorly trained and wont snap at my leg as he walks by on the sidewalk. What about when I'm taking my Pug for a walk? What about those Pit Bulls people leave in their yards that kill neighborhood cats and any animal that crosses their path?

Most dog owners are irresponsible, but Pit Bulls are far more dangerous than any other breed because of their genetics, not because of their personality. They are designed to kill and to be short-tempered. That's not the case with Pomeranians or Beagles (deaths attributed to those breeds are actual flukes, not 'another Pit Bull attack' like the typical Pit Bull ones) and certainly not the case with Pugs. Say what you will, but you're far more likely to be attacked by a Pit Bull than you are by a Golden Retriever or a Pug.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:04 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Walk down the street in San Diego and you cannot avoid Pit Bulls, what's to say that one of those dogs isn't poorly trained and wont snap at my leg as he walks by on the sidewalk. What about when I'm taking my Pug for a walk? What about those Pit Bulls people leave in their yards that kill neighborhood cats and any animal that crosses their path?

Most dog owners are irresponsible, but Pit Bulls are far more dangerous than any other breed because of their genetics, not because of their personality. They are designed to kill and to be short-tempered. That's not the case with Pomeranians or Beagles (deaths attributed to those breeds are actual flukes, not 'another Pit Bull attack' like the typical Pit Bull ones) and certainly not the case with Pugs. Say what you will, but you're far more likely to be attacked by a Pit Bull than you are by a Golden Retriever or a Pug.
Most people who happen have a ridiculous hate for Pit Bulls for no reason are irresponsible. Should we put them all down? I would actually be all for it, but the law says no.

BTW, Pits are not more dangerous than other breeds. You see, you already have shown your lack of facts about this breed and about dogs in general. Go read a book or something because you have shown your lack of education concerning dogs.

Last edited by Anonymous Political Junky; 04-27-2009 at 04:22 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 04:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:

I think you need to replace 'pit bulls' with 'dogs' in your paragraphs. No, they were not bred to be vicious, they were bred to do what their owner tells them without regard to their own safety. You tell a pit to attack, they'll attack. You tell it to stop, they stop. They're extremely bright and have this insatiable need to please their owners.

Regarding the bolded statement, it seems you answered your own question... if ANY dogs are left to their own devices by themselves locked up in a backyard they will look towards 'the chase and kill' to entertain themselves. Absolutely any dog, including cute little chihuahuas will do the same thing if they're bored. Cardinal rule of training #1, a bored animal is a destructive animal regardless of breed or type.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My moms 4 pugs beat up my pit bull all the time... blood thirsty?? sheesh. You do realize that you could train an english bulldog to fight, right? Hell, I've been attacked by a yorkie that left a nice size scar on my calf.

A thug is a thug and will try whatever they can to make themselves look tough, unfortunately at the detriment of one of my favorite breeds. I'm no thug... in fact I'm a college educated professional that as of next week will own two pit bulls. Hate on the breed if you want, just don't try and forcibly take my dogs away from me by enacting legislation against them.
If you read my post, you would have seen that I said that I don't believe in banning them outright, but enacting leglisation to protect people from irresponsible Pit Bull (and other dangerous breeds) owners. Seriously, a pug attack? That's not exactly common (the stats on pug attacks don't really exist because pugs are small, friendly and peaceful dogs) and you can't be comparing Pit Bulls to Pugs.

A Pit Bull is like a gun. In proper hands it is in no way dangerous to others, but in the wrong hands it becomes a danger to anyone who crosses its path. The difference between an English Bulldog, a Yorkie and a Pit is that I can fight off the first two with minimal danger to myself, the Pit is guaranteed to take a chunk out of me if it's motivated enough.

And finally, I did not say that all Pits are blood thirsty...but a much higher % of them are than Pugs, Golden Retrievers or even Boston Terriers. That's the difference, we let kids have nerf guns because it would take an absolute fluke for the kid to get hurt...but you wouldn't give a kid a .357 Magnum because he's probably going to do some damage at some point. All animals are dangerous in one way or another, but to deny that Pit Bulls are more dangerous than other breeds is to ignore facts.

I actually like some Pit Bulls, and think they make really cute puppies, but they are dangerous, it's in their blood.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:23 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,724 times
Quote:
Walk down the street in San Diego and you cannot avoid Pit Bulls, what's to say that one of those dogs isn't poorly trained and wont snap at my leg as he walks by on the sidewalk.
Has it ever happened?
Quote:
What about when I'm taking my Pug for a walk? What about those Pit Bulls people leave in their yards that kill neighborhood cats and any animal that crosses their path?
I do not walk my chihuahuas in places that unfamiliar dogs are around, because I would not risk it for either side...if a large dog saw my little ones as prey and attacked, said dog would most likely be put down which would not bring my dogs back, it would just be a terrible scenario all the way around. I also do not go to dog parks for this reason, too many risks. We go to the mountains, for play dates with dogs we know, and have dog parties with plenty of large-breed dogs, including regulars like 2 akita/husky mix pups, a GSD, a couple of terrier mixes and yes, a pitt bull named Red who we all love dearly. The dogs being chained in yards are products of the kind of owners who mistreat and neglect their animals, and yes they can be aggressive and dangerous. The only way to fix that problem is to create and enforce laws that protect large-breed dogs from being adopted to the wrong people...sadly, with all the puppymills and BYBs out there, the situation is out of control and too many people find it easier to hate than to take a stand and help or rehabilitate these poor animals.

Quote:
I do not know where you got this information from, but it is incorrect. Pomeranians are some of the meanest dogs I have ever met, though they are very cute. We adopted a beagle when I was a kid that attacked every member of our family and had to be brought back to the shelter. One of the two times I was attacked by dogs was by a Golden Retiever. Under no circumstances would I want any of these breeds discriminated against or banned, regardless of my experiences with them...I do love Pugs, though... have not met a mean one yet, in fact we had a pug at at work who had a litter of pups that all died (she had been impregnated by a bigger dog and almost died herself) and she nursed a tiny kitten whose mother died in birth...the two were adopted out together because they became so attached.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:24 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,746 times
Quote:
I actually like some Pit Bulls, and think they make really cute puppies, but they are dangerous, it's in their blood.
NO, you are wrong though. It is not in their blood. You see, you have little to no knowledge about what you posted about when it comes to Pits. In reality, the HUMAN is the most vicious and outright nasty animal on the face of the earth. It is in their blood.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Most people who happen have a ridiculous hate for Pit Bulls for no reason are irresponsible. Should we put them all down? I would actually be all for it, but the law says no.

BTW, Pits are not more dangerous than other breeds. You see, you already have shown your lack of facts about this breed and about dogs in general. Go read a book or something because you have shown your lack of education concerning dogs.
Stop insulting me and try reading what I say in my posts. One, I have not said that Pit Bulls should be banned. Not once. And I have read facts on Pit Bulls and have enough life experience to know that the majority of significant dog attacks are by Pit Bulls.

They are physically more dangerous, their bodies are designed for fighting and they are stronger and faster and more relentless than other breeds. Even Cesar Milan will admit this. The fact is that I should not have to worry about every single Pit owner I come across being a bad owner, because his dog will attack if he is. How do you deny the stats in that post? You haven't posted anything that proves to me those stats were false. You just get catty and try to insult me when I am just stating that we need to make sure that owners of dangerous dogs are held accountable and that we enact some kind of controls to keep dangerous dogs out of the hands of people who will enable their dangerous behavior.

You can't possibly deny that a Pit Bull is more dangerous than a Golden Retriever or a Pug. Keep in mind, I have liked a number of Pit Bulls and will pet a strange Pit if their owner indicates to me that their dog is good with strangers. The statistics prove that Pit Bulls kill adults every year, not just kids. That's the difference. Kids being killed is usually because of irresponsible parenting...adults being killed is because the dog is inherently dangerous. A dog specifically bred for killing and fighting is clearly more dangerous than one designed for obedience and companionship. Seriously, you should open a book on animal behavior or genetics.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,584,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
In reality, the HUMAN is the most vicious and outright nasty animal on the face of the earth. It is in their blood.
We have certainly proved that disheartening fact throughout the ages....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies