Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 05:31 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader14 View Post
All empires come to an end just didn't see this one happening so soon. It has taken the past 65 years to come down and it happened last night.
can you say drama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 05:32 PM

184 posts, read 231,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
can you say drama?
Can you say Reality?

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It seems that some people are angry that Democrats had the nerve to take advantage of their majority and actually pass legislation. Please. If Republicans had been in control, they wouldn't have given a second thought to passing whatever they wanted to.
There were some legislation that the republicans SHOULD have passed while they were in the majority but caved into democratic pressure. At least Obama is staying true to his campaign promises.

1,650 posts, read 3,865,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
It's not just the right wingers. There are an awful lot of fairly liberal Democrats totally against this Bill as well. And more than a few who were originally against but didn't have the moral fortitude to stand up to Pelosi and Company. Most Americans want affordable health care for everyone. But not like this. When you don't have one single Republican vote. When you have lots of Democrats voting HELL NO. And when you have to engage in sleazy back-room deals and threats, you have a big problem.

Most of the country is against this bill. Not just the tea-party folks. Not just the Republicans. Not just right-wing conservatives. Any American who has even the most basic, high school level understanding of civics and law understands that this bill is unconstitutional. You cannot force individuals to purchase goods and services. Read the commerce clause.

Read the Tenth Amendment. Powers not delegated to the U.S. by the Constitution are reserved to the states. Read it again if you don't understand it. Do the research. Study the case law. The Supreme Court is probably giddy in anticipation of hearing this case. There is zero chance this will be allowed to remain a law. Zero.
The only bipartisan part of the bill was the folks who voted "no." Both Republicans and a few Democrats voted "no." Not one Republican voted "yes." Even the liberal Republicans voted "no" on this bill.

I think more Americans will be against this bill when they actually have to start reporting to the IRS every month that they have purchased "acceptable" health insurance. Gee...how many of us enjoy reporting to the IRS right now??? While it is true that car insurance is required by law, we don't have to purchase a car and you don't have the IRS knocking on your door every month verifying that you have car insurance.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
That's not quite fair to paint us all with such a broad brush. How dare you say that people don't care about someone starving. You're too intelligent to draw such a baseless conclusion, and that remark is beneath you.
The social programs during the depression did keep people from starving. I've read many a post here on CD, over the past three years, not just during the health care debate, saying that Roosevelt prolonged the depression with his social programs. No one can prove that, and there is proof that these programs helped people, and in some cases, kept some from starving, literally to death. These folks who decry Roosevelt are in effect saying it's more important to raise stock prices than to keep people from starving. I'll give some of these folks who spout this nonsense a pass in the sense that they don't understand just how bad things were then. I have heard many first hand stories from my parents and in-laws about just how bad things were then, especially if your family was poor to begin with, like my mom's. The "personal responsiblity" people weren't out there helping people out, or if they were, it wasn't enough. I stand by what I said.

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1569.html

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-22-2010 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 03-22-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Those who like to live under the yoke of an authoritarian government in exchange for "treats' are welcome to do so.
I hardly call being able to afford a life saving operation or to live healthily without fear of going far into debt and stressing my life away a "treat." I call that living in a 1st rate country.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise View Post
Can you say Reality?
Can you say fear monger? Y'all people are amazing and ridiculous.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM

184 posts, read 231,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Can you say fear monger? Y'all people are amazing and ridiculous.
Can you say, "I'm afraid"?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:54 PM

148 posts, read 169,203 times
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" Benjamin Franklin.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:58 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader14 View Post
All empires come to an end just didn't see this one happening so soon. It has taken the past 65 years to come down and it happened last night.
If you think the government mandating that you get something, or do something is the end our our Republic, then it ended a long time ago, not just last night.

However, like most things that last, with a little flexibility and change, we keep going.

There is no reason, none whatsoever, for any industrialized country the size of these United States not to take care of their citizens.

What gets me, and most people fail to see this logic, YOU WERE ALREADY PAYING FOR EVERYONE ELSES HEALTHCARE.

Now, if you want to remove the law saying that Hospitals have to care for the sick or infirm, if they don't have the means to pay for their care upfront, thats a different matter all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies