Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 11:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
That also happened in the 15th century...are you proposing that peoples and nations go back to such times?

SO a tiered society where some are valued more highly than others...well I can see how that is much different to Apartheid...

People of today should be punished for the sins of their ancestors...interesting.

Well, if invaders and their offspring in any way act against the locals, yes, they may be expelled. That is my view. Usually it does not happen as locals are outnumbered, killed off or whatever, like in Australia, the US, South America etc.

No, I am not in favor of a tiered society, BUT if it becomes necessary to discuss entitlement to land, it should be allowed to mention it, just to put things straight for the record. You know, if whites down there were decent people, they would gladly give away their excess wealth. I wonder how they can watch local blacks living in poverty when they themselves are still doing quite well by comparison, despite all the complaining. Even I have a poor conscience as I am better off than many locals here without deserving it.

You think giving back things your ancestors acquired illegally a punishment? That I find interesting in terms of morals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:34 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

You think giving back things your ancestors acquired illegally a punishment? That I find interesting in terms of morals
Illegally?
By what standard?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Illegally?
By what standard?

Mostly by our modern standards. I guess people who defend the atrocities and deeds committed during colonialism are a small minority, and I can see why. The way Europeans acted was disgusting, and even back then there were already white people who realized that, but they did not have much to say. It is not just our modern notion that what happened was wrong.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Mostly by our modern standards. I guess people who defend the atrocities and deeds committed during colonialism are a small minority, and I can see why. The way Europeans acted was disgusting, and even back then there were already white people who realized that, but they did not have much to say. It is not just our modern notion that what happened was wrong.
How can you judge the legality of something that happened hundreds of years ago by our laws today?

It might be wrong or immoral but it cannot be illegal.

The Zulu took land and killed people too,do you judge them as harshly?

Selective outrage fascinates me.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
How can you judge the legality of something that happened hundreds of years ago by our laws today?

It might be wrong or immoral but it cannot be illegal.

The Zulu took land and killed people too,do you judge them as harshly?

Selective outrage fascinates me.
Yes, I should have said immoral instead of illegal, it fits better.

Of course what the Bantus did was not much better, but that is none of my business. If I were a Zulu, I would feel different about it and be ashamed of my ancestors, too.
Being German I am ashamed of Germans when I think of the Herero in Namibia, for instance.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:48 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Illegally?
By what standard?

You really need to educate yourself about the mass relocations that happened in South Africa, some as recent as the 1970's and 80's. My husband's family received a letter at 6pm that they needed to be out of their house (that they had themselves purchased and lived in for 2 generations) by 8am the next morning. At 8am the bulldozers were there ready or not. No advanced warning, no financial compensation, anything still inside the house was destroyed. This was a common occurence. These areas were developled as "white" areas, and the properties sold to buyers fully aware of what had happened. Who has rightful claim to those properties?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Yes, I should have said immoral instead of illegal, it fits better.
yes it does,using modern standards almost EVERYTHING done by EVERY race was immoral..
Quote:
Of course what the Bantus did was not much better, but that is none of my business. If I were a Zulu, I would feel different about it and be ashamed of my ancestors, too.
Being German I am ashamed of Germans when I think of the Herero in Namibia, for instance.
Well as you are not an Afrikaner,how does what went on there any of your business?

I mean they were never Germans but Dutch.

Perhaps it is more 'white guilt'?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You really need to educate yourself about the mass relocations that happened in South Africa, some as recent as the 1970's and 80's. My husband's family received a letter at 6pm that they needed to be out of their house (that they had themselves purchased and lived in for 2 generations) by 8am the next morning. At 8am the bulldozers were there ready or not. No advanced warning, no financial compensation, anything still inside the house was destroyed. This was a common occurence. These areas were developled as "white" areas, and the properties sold to buyers fully aware of what had happened. Who has rightful claim to those properties?
You should read the thread in context...
It was in reference to events hundreds of years ago.

He would be due compensation i would imagine,just as white farmers in Zimbabwe are due compensation for the land stolen from them.Don't you agree?

Old 06-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
yes it does,using modern standards almost EVERYTHING done by EVERY race was immoral..

Well as you are not an Afrikaner,how does what went on there any of your business?

I mean they were never Germans but Dutch.

Perhaps it is more 'white guilt'?
Of course white, European guilt. If I went to Nigeria I would feel bad, too, although it was Brits in that case. From a worldwide perspective Germans, Dutch, Brits may easily be lumped together, and there is some justification to that when you look at the history of Central Europe.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Why should you feel guilty for events you had nothing to do with?

As a German do you feel guilty for murdering Jews?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies