Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 12:40 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Three games with replacements. but, those games show what a great coach he was. The last game against Dallas was replacement players against most of Dallas' starters. And he was using a backup QB that was released from jail to play!
Even better that it was only three games. I kept thinking it was four. Which means, when you look at it, it was even more impressive of Gibbs. He really faced just two teams playing with scabs, and then a Dallas team that had a lot of their starters (not all of them though) in that game.

Quote:
Nah.. No way it was 13-3.. I'll have to look it up... 16-5 is what it was. I knew they had lost more than 3 games, because they made the playoffs dang near every year. Don't get me wrong.. 16-5 is still a great record. Not arguing that.. Just.. Accuracy... He was 18-7 counting the return years, which is still great.

When he retired the first time he had like the 2nd or 3rd best winning percentage of any coach.
I think you're right Labonte. Counting the Super Bowl wins would give them 16 post season wins in Gibbs' first tenure. That 1982 year had a much different post season than any other year, thus the 'skins played three playoff games instead of having a bye in round one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 01:04 PM

17,590 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Even better that it was only three games. I kept thinking it was four. Which means, when you look at it, it was even more impressive of Gibbs. He really faced just two teams playing with scabs, and then a Dallas team that had a lot of their starters (not all of them though) in that game.

I think you're right Labonte. Counting the Super Bowl wins would give them 16 post season wins in Gibbs' first tenure. That 1982 year had a much different post season than any other year, thus the 'skins played three playoff games instead of having a bye in round one.

Mm.. even the years they missed the playoffs.. They missed the playoffs with 10-6 records. Not counting, of course, the one 7-9 year and his first 8-8 year.

Had to look it up, but when he retired the first time, he had the third highest winning percentage of any coach, behind Lombardi and Madden. Pretty good company.

I was actually there at RFK for the first replacement game against the Cardinals.. Anthony Allen just lit it up that day. I remember walking by the picket line. They were polite, for the most part, to the fans who attended. We went because at that time, that was the only way you were going to see the Redskins play, because the games really were sold out.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:02 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,563,582 times
Talking about the early '8os strike season.. remember the Redskins altered their logo slightly (curling the dangling feathers). I guess to reinforce the idea that is was a Bizarro season..

I'm not sure any other teams made uniform alterations for their replacement squads (?)

Old 10-02-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Talking about the early '8os strike season.. remember the Redskins altered their logo slightly (curling the dangling feathers). I guess to reinforce the idea that is was a Bizarro season..

I'm not sure any other teams made uniform alterations for their replacement squads (?)

Here's what I got as the reason for the tucked in feather in 1982:

"Briefly, the Redskins use a tucked feather design because the decals used for the helmets aren’t sticking properly near the tail-end of the hanging feathers."

So, it was more because of a technical issue rather than a symbolic one. I like to think they knew it was going to be a special year for them and the changed feather signified that.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:03 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Yeah did that from memory, 16-5 is right and it's still damned impressive. As i said if Loehmiller (spell?) hadn't missed a shot field goal at the end of the year that 7-9 would have been 8-8. Those were the days and I remember how it much suck to be a Bucs fan back then. Well we sure found out.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:55 PM

17,590 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah did that from memory, 16-5 is right and it's still damned impressive. As i said if Loehmiller (spell?) hadn't missed a shot field goal at the end of the year that 7-9 would have been 8-8. Those were the days and I remember how it much suck to be a Bucs fan back then. Well we sure found out.

I just remember, so far as kicking problems.. Lohmiller was pretty good, as was Jess Atkinson, who lost his job as I recall by getting his leg broken in a game.. But.. After Moseley and before Atkinson.. There was Max Zendejas.

A bigger pile of crap of a kicker there has never been. I remember listening to a game in either 87 or 88 against Green Bay where it came down to a last second field goal (This is after Zendejas went to Green Bay).. Sonny, Sam and Frank were screaming in the booth "Kick like you did for us, Max!".. Sure enough, he shanked a short field goal and Washington won the game.

Looking up the games, that had to have been October 23, 1988. Redskins won 20-17.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:34 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,563,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Here's what I got as the reason for the tucked in feather in 1982:

"Briefly, the Redskins use a tucked feather design because the decals used for the helmets aren’t sticking properly near the tail-end of the hanging feathers."

So, it was more because of a technical issue rather than a symbolic one..
37, seems odd that the straight feather stickers worked before and after the strike season (?)
I have a pointless interest in uniform histories.. could u link your source (if u remember it). Never heard/considered this dubious explanation.. thanks.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:08 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Yeah I remember Max Zendejas well. Apparently all game he was standing behind the bench by a fence, mucking it up with friends and family. "Hey look at me, I'm a star" type of deal instead of acting like part of a team. When he came in with the game on the line and blew it Curtis Jordan wanted to kill him.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
37, seems odd that the straight feather stickers worked before and after the strike season (?)
I have a pointless interest in uniform histories.. could u link your source (if u remember it). Never heard/considered this dubious explanation.. thanks.
The Evolution of the Washington Redskins Logo

Here ya go, Babe. I'm sure there is probably official documentation online for the reasoning of the '82 tucked feather, but this is where I found that at. Like, you, I never could figure out why it was that they only had it in '82, but the regular logo was just fine before then and after then. Maybe it was who made the decals for them in '82? I do want to find more info on this.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I just remember, so far as kicking problems.. Lohmiller was pretty good, as was Jess Atkinson, who lost his job as I recall by getting his leg broken in a game.. But.. After Moseley and before Atkinson.. There was Max Zendejas.

A bigger pile of crap of a kicker there has never been. I remember listening to a game in either 87 or 88 against Green Bay where it came down to a last second field goal (This is after Zendejas went to Green Bay).. Sonny, Sam and Frank were screaming in the booth "Kick like you did for us, Max!".. Sure enough, he shanked a short field goal and Washington won the game.

Looking up the games, that had to have been October 23, 1988. Redskins won 20-17.
Did Zendejas come in after Ali-Haji-Sheikh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football