Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 05:48 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times

Advertisements

I try to keep in mind that it's preseason and doesn't mean a thing. But I also remember the problems we saw in preseason carried over often to the start of the regular season, especially under Gruden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 09:08 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I try to keep in mind that it's preseason and doesn't mean a thing. But I also remember the problems we saw in preseason carried over often to the start of the regular season, especially under Gruden.
Yes, and that's the number one concern. And I think Alex Smith is not going to be OK "working out" the issues during the regular season as what Cousins seemed like. Maybe unfair for me to say, but Cousins didn't seem pissed off enough that the regular seasons started out bad. After about two and a half games in, Cousins would wake up as well as everybody else, but that has been a problem in the past. You'd have to think a QB like Smith and an running back like Peterson should be enough to keep the offense in the butt and say our playoffs start week one. Gruden doesn't seem like the motivator his brother is - definitely not the motivator that Joe Gibbs was. This team has the talent, they need to motivation.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:55 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yes, and that's the number one concern. And I think Alex Smith is not going to be OK "working out" the issues during the regular season as what Cousins seemed like. Maybe unfair for me to say, but Cousins didn't seem pissed off enough that the regular seasons started out bad. After about two and a half games in, Cousins would wake up as well as everybody else, but that has been a problem in the past. You'd have to think a QB like Smith and an running back like Peterson should be enough to keep the offense in the butt and say our playoffs start week one. Gruden doesn't seem like the motivator his brother is - definitely not the motivator that Joe Gibbs was. This team has the talent, they need to motivation.

I'm questioning the talent at WR and at RB. But outside of that.. I do agree with you. AP comes in and is busting off a 5.1 average.. Rob comes in and it's down to 2.8. We do NOT have a bad OL, there are no injuries on the OL, which took the heat for the lack of a run game last year.. So.. There's only one place left to point the finger.

WR.. Crowder is good.. Doctson is good.. but I don't think either one is a true #1 receiver right now.

Defense had a bad game. I'm not going to crucify them just yet. WR and RB have been consistent problems with flashes of being good at best.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:17 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times
I'm still a believer in Doctson but I really have little to base this on at this point. He needs to run precise patterns and find a way to get open, that's a receivers first priority. I think the front 7 is legit but I think there are very real concerns on the back end. Josh Norman is a pain in the ass. Every Giants game turns into a Norman/OBJ side show. Tired of all of that, his play hasn't backed his talk. Dunbar and Nickleson have not proven to be great cover guys either.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:51 AM

Have to disagree about Norman. The cornerback position is always a fickle position to discuss. If we don't hear a CB's name being called during a game, we think he's not doing anything out there, when in all reality, he's got his receiver covered and the quarterback is simply not throwing his way. Norman hasn't been the big turnover guy like we had hoped, and that would be the biggest knock on him. But otherwise, I don't have any beef with Norman, I like the guy. I like it when he gets into OBJ's head - we need that!

This is make or break for Doctson. He has shown potential and he can make some big plays. He can also drop balls as well, so let's see how he turns out. Last year, he played with Ryan Grant. Let that sink in. Ryan Grant! Richardson is a big improvement over Grant, and he can stretch the field. That will give Doctson more opportunities to make some plays. Should also help Crowder as well. I expect big things from those guys, so we'll see what happens.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Have to disagree about Norman. The cornerback position is always a fickle position to discuss. If we don't hear a CB's name being called during a game, we think he's not doing anything out there, when in all reality, he's got his receiver covered and the quarterback is simply not throwing his way. Norman hasn't been the big turnover guy like we had hoped, and that would be the biggest knock on him. But otherwise, I don't have any beef with Norman, I like the guy. I like it when he gets into OBJ's head - we need that!

His punch is good. We've gotten several turnovers from him punching the ball out of a carriers hands. Not a whole lot of DBs that can do that.

he hasn't been worth the money, but he hasn't been a bad player. It's just, in perspective.. When someone makes that much money you expect more.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:37 PM

Probably not going to watch tonight's game. No starters will be in. I'm ready for the regular season to start anyway. First up will be the Arizona Cardinals @ 4:25pm. I'll have to check and see if it's going to be on TV where I live. Usually when the Panthers are playing an opposite time, they will show the Redskins. Toward the end of the season, however, I'm usually having to find a stream online.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:05 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,039 times
I apologize in advance for digging up old business but I just had a random thought regarding Kirk Cousins and Washington.

Looking back on it, the Redskins must have obviously had a fairly high grade on Cousins coming out of Michigan State. They would not have selected him in the third round after just taking a QB in the top five if they didn't have a high grade on him. With that being the case, why did the Redskins second guess themselves on Kirk's talent and ability once he started to show it in year four? I get that his first three seasons were a bit of a struggle but if they thought he was an above average prospect when they drafted him I would have thought that his strong play starting in year four would have confirmed their original evaluation of Kirk.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I apologize in advance for digging up old business but I just had a random thought regarding Kirk Cousins and Washington.

Looking back on it, the Redskins must have obviously had a fairly high grade on Cousins coming out of Michigan State. They would not have selected him in the third round after just taking a QB in the top five if they didn't have a high grade on him. With that being the case, why did the Redskins second guess themselves on Kirk's talent and ability once he started to show it in year four? I get that his first three seasons were a bit of a struggle but if they thought he was an above average prospect when they drafted him I would have thought that his strong play starting in year four would have confirmed their original evaluation of Kirk.

I think Kirk was a Shanahan pick. The front office that came in afterwards never particularly believed in him, though I think Gruden did.

they were all fanboys of RG3 and I think that is was soured the relationship with Kirk more than anything.

Oh.. And the defense looked ugly again last night, but.. This one.. I'm rather 'meh' about. Don't think any starters played at all on either side.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:11 PM

Bill, it was front office politics. As Labonte alluded to, Kirk was Shanahan's boy. RGIII was Dan's boy. Gruden proved that Cousins was the better quarterback, but by that point, it was all about wanting to see "more" out of Cousins. In the end, the front office wasn't about to pay him and Cousins wasn't about to sign no matter how much the contract was worth. It was all a failed opportunity that has a lot to do with ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football