Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:10 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,633,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Yikes...glad I live across the river in PC! It's like a giant moat.
LMAO

I'll take the crime rate on the PG side over the crime rate on the PC side any day the week.

Gary

Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
Quote:
Yikes...glad I live across the river in PC! It's like a giant moat.
Lmao, I should have kept ky condo on the east coast.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:06 AM

186 posts, read 213,430 times
We're starting to make my Chicago look bad!

Old 12-01-2015, 11:40 AM

747 posts, read 1,013,183 times
an anomaly, surely. for reference, it in no way whatsoever has any affect on our decisioning for various upcoming trips to the area, or affects our interest in eventually purchasing there.

wouldn't be surprised if all this stuff is drug-related. it's a real epidemic, affecting every socio-economic class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC1 View Post
One of the reasons we purchased in PGI was because we felt, and heard, that it is/was one of the safest places to live in SWFL. With the events recently, we're wondering if this is an anomaly or a trend.

We're hoping for the former...

Old 12-01-2015, 11:43 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,826,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliekristine629 View Post
We're starting to make my Chicago look bad!
Nah you won't see 9 yr olds being gunned down by gang members in PG

Old 12-01-2015, 11:45 AM

5,176 posts, read 4,951,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
LMAO

I'll take the crime rate on the PG side over the crime rate on the PC side any day the week.

Gary
Sadly I can't argue that! I might just have to dig out the other three sides of my property and create my own moat.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:24 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,826,656 times
Looks like the same outfit being worn as the NFM Circle K robber on Sunday

Old 12-01-2015, 06:41 PM

207 posts, read 218,082 times
Quote:
That's one of the reasons I like FL better than MD; I can carry if I so choose (yes, I do have a CCW permit). Even though I retired from law enforcement I can't carry in MD!
Agreed. I am from PA and it's an open carry state although I prefer concealed. FL is CCW friendly state. Heard MD is as bad as NY and NJ.

I rarely leave the house without my 9mm. PGI is a very safe area which is why we move here. Still, you never know. I would rather that I never ever need it.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:46 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
an anomaly, surely. for reference, it in no way whatsoever has any affect on our decisioning for various upcoming trips to the area, or affects our interest in eventually purchasing there.

wouldn't be surprised if all this stuff is drug-related. it's a real epidemic, affecting every socio-economic class.
Wouldn't be surprised. We've been told by ER staff at the hospitals that crack cocaine, and heroine is a big problem in this neck of the woods. They said they often have folks coming in from side effects of adulterated heroine, in addition to overdoses.

I don't think there is a place on this planet that doesn't have its share of criminal behavior. Seems to me, though, that violent crime in this area such as we have recently seen, while it seems to have increased lately, is still relatively infrequent enough that each incident makes the news, people know about it, talk about it as an isolated incident, and so on. That doesn't excuse it, of course, and not to diminish it, but when this type of criminal activity becomes frequent enough that each incident is no longer deemed newsworthy, or just another statistic, (like Miami where we lived for many yrs, and other big cities), that, IMO, is when we hit the big league in the way of crime.

And the sad reality of it is, that crime generally increases in proportion to the population increases. As our area becomes more and more populated ( and I include Collier, Lee, and Charlotte counties here), I'd expect the crime rates to rise as well.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:12 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,697,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

And the sad reality of it is, that crime generally increases in proportion to the population increases. As our area becomes more and more populated ( and I include Collier, Lee, and Charlotte counties here), I'd expect the crime rates to rise as well.
When we moved to SW Florida Fort Myers was a nice, small user friendly city. Over the years it has become somewhat violent and a crime frequent area.

As a suburb of Fort Myers we should expect to see our level of criminal activity raise in proportion to the changing acceptance of illegal activity.

All the more reason to encourage an anti crime police department in Punta Gorda. Less focus on MV and more on anti criminal activity is one suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte