Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:12 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,826,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC1 View Post
Congrats...You may be the one in a hundred that IS QUALIFIED...and that's awesome!....good for you and thanks for your service...we're all indebted. You don't need to get angry though....can't we disagree without getting hostile?

Could PGI be Paris or Cali? Sure it could...is it likely? ummm I don't think so. I just refuse to live my life in fear...and if you're being honest you KNOW that there are some jokers out there carrying that don't have the first clue what they're doing.

America isn't going down the tubes...this thread is evidence of that. We can have semi-cordial, somewhat non-insulting discussion about our rights and how we choose to exercise them....and that is the essence of freedom....that I'm sure we can agree on.
Believe me he is not getting angry. He has put a lot of time in and seen a lot. And yes we can disagree that's what makes this country great,but you have to realize the things can happen in small town USA. Not to live in fear, but always be aware. As far as this country going down the tubes we have a long road to hoe to get it back! USA!

Old 12-04-2015, 07:16 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,631,008 times
I'm not looking for a pat on the back. You started making silly statements about someone wanting to carry a firearm. Then you throw the coconut comparison out. I get it you don't want people carrying concealed weapons. This is florida so you better get used to it because there are plenty of people carrying every where. You just don't see them.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:30 PM

55 posts, read 52,153 times
I don't make silly statements...I take exception to that.

You're right...I don't like the idea of untrained or inexperienced people carrying something that can hurt innocent people. I sincerely hope they don't hurt you, me or themselves.

Sorry that your emotions get in the way of an olive branch when handed to you...

Hard to reason with irrationality...

We are done here. Good luck protecting the world.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:34 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,227,297 times
Quote:
No, I haven't because I think its ridiculous to be carrying a gun around a town like PG and I don't, nor will I, pursue a carry permit.

How would that make a difference to take a CCW class? People take algebra classes...that doesn't mean they are mathematicians. People take cooking classes...that doesn't mean they are gourmet chefs...
Recently I sold a trailer on Craigslist. I didn't need it anymore, it was costing me to store it and CList is about the only way to sell something like that. Met the buyer in a public place, in PG. I didn't know him or him me. Thousands of dollars were involved so it was not ridiculous to be carrying. Especially in Florida.

Taking classes will help to make you an expert at a lot of things if you put your mind to it. If you did take a CCW class it would help you to understand the safety aspects and liabilities of choosing to carry a gun.

After meeting the buyer I have a suspicion he was carrying too - in Punta Gorda.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:53 PM

Adios. Now time to put on my superman costume and save the world.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:55 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,826,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Adios. Now time to put on my superman costume and save the world.
TMI

Old 12-04-2015, 08:56 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
I don't make silly statements...I take exception to that.

You're right...I don't like the idea of untrained or inexperienced people carrying something that can hurt innocent people. I sincerely hope they don't hurt you, me or themselves.

Sorry that your emotions get in the way of an olive branch when handed to you...

Hard to reason with irrationality...

We are done here. Good luck protecting the world.
I don't know, seems to me it's obvious where the overreaction is coming from in regard to the idea of carrying a licensed concealed weapon, as well,as some amount of condescension( or maybe it's "microaggression" to be PC) towards those who support the idea of doing so. But that is how some folks react to ideas they don't agree with, so we will leave it at that.

I will say this, and then I am done. You don't like the idea of carrying a concealed weapon, don't believe it is necessary, then don't do so. But your fear that someone who does is sure to pull it out to settle an argument or will accidentally shoot you or someone else is way overblown. You would probably be amazed at the number of people, both men and women, who do carry concealed weapons in this area everywhere they go and have done so long before you ever even heard of PG or Charlotte County. And if the area is as safe as you believe it is (or even reasonably so) you probably never will know who or how many of them do so, because there will never be an occasion for them to have to use their weapons.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:40 PM

186 posts, read 213,430 times
My belief is that America has too many guns, period. Fact is that gun manufacturers and lobbyists use fear to sell their product. Fear of violence, fear of ambush, fear of people who are different, and fear of lost access to weapons and ammo.

Unfortunately, they've sold the idea of unfettered access as a civil right and almost patriotic duty. Even today, those on the terrorist "no fly list", can purchase a high powered gun. Legislation to close this loophole was defeated in Congress this week.

Your need to virtual no holds barred access has extracted a price on our society. Guns have found their ways into the hands of felons, gang bangers, the mentally unstable and violent types. They've also caused innumerable suicides and accidents. More children than cops have been killed by guns.

America isn't 1950 anymore. We live in times of domestic copy cat mass shootings fed by 24 hour news and social media. We live in a time of home grown jihad and great income inequality.

The answer isn't more guns, nor the right to carry. The answer is less guns and better social policies. Help disband the inner city gangs with jobs and opportunities. Close the income gap through education and training.

If I were queen for a day, I'd use a fraction of our war on terror and drugs budgets to buy back all the weapons on the streets and hidden in cars and homes. We'd start fresh, and make a go of it as a better, more compassionate country.

Guns are a symptom of the sickness and ills of society. They're the toxic waste released into the streams and drinking supply. Some corporate fat cats and politicians have benefited handsomely by their sale. Our blood flows in schools, churches and the workplace now, no longer within the exclusive confines of drug corners.

The gun industry has won. Decency and humanity have lost. Your children and grandchildren will grow up in a much more violent and fearful place.

That is, if we're not brave enough to act and change things. As for me, I won't conceal the truth as I see it, but I will carry the fight for change.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:15 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,697,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't know, seems to me it's obvious where the overreaction is coming from in regard to the idea of carrying a licensed concealed weapon, as well,as some amount of condescension( or maybe it's "microaggression" to be PC) towards those who support the idea of doing so. But that is how some folks react to ideas they don't agree with, so we will leave it at that.

I will say this, and then I am done. You don't like the idea of carrying a concealed weapon, don't believe it is necessary, then don't do so. But your fear that someone who does is sure to pull it out to settle an argument or will accidentally shoot you or someone else is way overblown. You would probably be amazed at the number of people, both men and women, who do carry concealed weapons in this area everywhere they go and have done so long before you ever even heard of PG or Charlotte County. And if the area is as safe as you believe it is (or even reasonably so) you probably never will know who or how many of them do so, because there will never be an occasion for them to have to use their weapons.
Well stated Travelassie. I have found the postings to be of a baiting nature and designed to belittle Florida legislation. It has appeared to be an opportunity taken to lecture and speak down to those who would have the audacity to consider self defense. The ramblings of a self appointed PC enforcement deputy.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Well stated Travelassie. I have found the postings to be of a baiting nature and designed to belittle Florida legislation. It has appeared to be an opportunity taken to lecture and speak down to those who would have the audacity to consider self defense. The ramblings of a self appointed PC enforcement deputy.
Thank you both. Thats exactly how I took it. Hence my response. It felt like a 80 year old dad belittling his 60 year old son and telling him what to do and how to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte