Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 04:39 PM

173 posts, read 313,137 times

Advertisements

Yep, I just drove through there on GLC and saw the accident. There is too much traffic on OKC (traveling at 50+ MPH too), and the intersection itself is overly complicated. The road is painted for a future traffic light with separate lanes for left, straight, and right on GLC, but this is way too much for a 2-way stop.

Unfortunately, I'm sure MI Homes will take the full 15 months they have to put in a traffic light unless a) there is a major accident with injuries, or b) the local news media does a story on it. Personally, I'm going to go a different way to/from Cary Park, or just avoid shopping there altogether. I foresee many more accidents at this intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 05:15 PM

120 posts, read 236,432 times
I contacted Cary police to ask about the details and they contacted the Traffic Engineering Department[SIZE=3] and they have advised that a [/SIZE]private engineering firm is currently studying this intersection for signalization that will be the responsibility of a private development. They expect to hear back from them within the next 10 days. They are certainly very supportive of a signal at this intersection but must have some data to justify the signal. They are hoping that people will become more accustomed to the traffic pattern over the coming days and some of the delay and congestion will decrease. In the meantime, they will have patrol officers and traffic safety officers will monitor that area as well.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:31 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,827,210 times
That intersection is insane right now. Crossing OKC on the way home from work is treacherous! Cars going left right or straight have to stick way out into the intersection to see anything. I would not be surprised if we see a lot more accidents at OKCR and GLCR.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:49 PM

49 posts, read 162,964 times
I live right at the intersection of GLC and OKC...the new intersection is way, way worse than the old one.

Making a left turn on to OKC from either side, or even trying to go straight on GLC is damn near impossible.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:05 PM

25 posts, read 66,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas33 View Post
I contacted Cary police to ask about the details and they contacted the Traffic Engineering Department[SIZE=3] and they have advised that a [/SIZE]private engineering firm is currently studying this intersection for signalization that will be the responsibility of a private development. They expect to hear back from them within the next 10 days. They are certainly very supportive of a signal at this intersection but must have some data to justify the signal. They are hoping that people will become more accustomed to the traffic pattern over the coming days and some of the delay and congestion will decrease. In the meantime, they will have patrol officers and traffic safety officers will monitor that area as well.

why can't they try to justify the signal the other way round - get the signal light installed first, then do an evaluation. if study reveals no benefit then disconnect it.

it's a pity the current system is so bureaucracy and inefficient!!

Old 09-27-2013, 06:39 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btmcwk View Post
why can't they try to justify the signal the other way round - get the signal light installed first, then do an evaluation. if study reveals no benefit then disconnect it.

it's a pity the current system is so bureaucracy and inefficient!!

Well, a traffic light for a small intersection costs between $75,000-$100,000 so I'm not sure you could say that spending that whether it needs it or not is all that efficient.

Not saying the DOT couldn't move faster to get one approved ahead of time though.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 AM

120 posts, read 236,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Well, a traffic light for a small intersection costs between $75,000-$100,000 so I'm not sure you could say that spending that whether it needs it or not is all that efficient.

Not saying the DOT couldn't move faster to get one approved ahead of time though.

Wow, we were having discussion on how much a light could costs. I had no idea they cost that much. One would think think they could have a guess from previous traffic whether a light would be neccessary.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:38 AM

164 posts, read 287,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIBuckHunter View Post
I live right at the intersection of GLC and OKC...the new intersection is way, way worse than the old one.

Making a left turn on to OKC from either side, or even trying to go straight on GLC is damn near impossible.
I have to make the left 4+ times a day and I HATE it. I've already witnessed 2 near accidents in just the last week from people who are making the left onto OKC in front of me, after workers sat out extra barricades to drop it down to one lane. And I've seen way too many construction workers not heed the lights, and pull out on a red when they see a break in traffic. The whole intersection is a cluster-you-know-what and seems to be getting worse by the day. Can't wait to move out of Cary in a few weeks, mainly because of that intersection.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:17 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas33 View Post
Wow, we were having discussion on how much a light could costs. I had no idea they cost that much. One would think think they could have a guess from previous traffic whether a light would be neccessary.
Part of the problem is what is the previous traffic? 10 years ago, O'Kelly Chapel was a dirt road at that spot and Green Level Church was just a 2 lane country road. Up until 6 or 7 years ago, O'kelly Chapel was still just a tar and gravel barely improved not even secondary road. It wasn't until 2006 or 07 that they put in the current road.

Now, not saying NC DOT are any great organization and they move way too slow on stuff like this and screw up plenty, but the rules are that they have to do a study and determine if the intersection meets warrants at a given time. I am not sure how much they are allowed to factor in growth in areas that while it is obvious to all that new houses and neighborhoods will soon be built, yet are not actually started now. Keep in mind that while people are screaming for lights or road improvements, at the same time, others are screaming that taxes are too high and DOT is wasteful. Also, lights do have impacts on the areas surrounding them. Some are good and some are not good, so they have to make sure that a light is indeed needed and better than the alternative.

Then again, if it is as bad as it seems, hopefully they can do the study realize duh, its warranted, and fast track it.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:29 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,883 times
Contacted both Cary Town Council and David Spencer...waiting for a reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary