Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 04:23 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times

Advertisements

Some nights I wear my old 28 Ranheim jersey. Usually the ONLY one in the arena as well. I figure well over half in attendance have no idea who it is. Haven't actually worn it lately, but it's an original game worn jersey from the 2000 season with the "3" (Chaisson honor), "Raleigh Arena" and "NHL 2000" patches. I've been asked to sell or trade it several times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:57 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
I wear my LA Kings gear, probably the only one in the building with that on as well. Tough loss tonight.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:07 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Hold the puck! Being Raleigh has the Carolina Hurricanes does it not make it a hockey town or did I slip off the ice the last time I was there? This is the only requirement I can think of to be an official hockey town. Take Wake Forest or Cary or Dunn even....now these are truly not hockey towns. But Raleigh albeit to warm for ice to freeze outside this winter thus far is a hockey town IMHO.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Hold the puck! Being Raleigh has the Carolina Hurricanes does it not make it a hockey town or did I slip off the ice the last time I was there? This is the only requirement I can think of to be an official hockey town. Take Wake Forest or Cary or Dunn even....now these are truly not hockey towns. But Raleigh albeit to warm for ice to freeze outside this winter thus far is a hockey town IMHO.
Having a hockey team does not make it a hockey town. Being a "_____" town would mean that's the main sport in the city, they sell out games, everyone is passionate about that team/sport, etc. College basketball definitely runs the Triangle. For example...Tampa, my birth town, would be a hockey town. Even though we only have 2 Stanley Cup appearances, hockey is the best-attended sport. Attendance numbers are bigger than the Bucs and Rays, and people really get into going to the games. The arena was renovated in the recent years, and there is a nice outdoor plaza where people can watch the games and have watch parties.

This would be a similar argument for say if...the San Antonio Spurs drew similar attendance numbers as the Hurricanes do.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:21 AM

600 posts, read 1,220,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
All depends on who is defining it I guess. Consider that Wake Forest has a couple sheets of ice where hockey is being played from 6AM to 12AM most days, except for when the figure skaters have their turns. Consider that we have the Carolina Eagles, Carolina Lightning, Raleigh Youth Hockey, Carolina Stars, Team Carolina, Polar Ice Hockey, Raleigh Storm, Raleigh Thunder. These are all leagues with multiple divisions for youth hockey in raleigh and wake forest.
That being said, I was in Nashville this weekend for my son's hockey tournament and we went to the Preds game. The atmosphere was great and the building was full.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:46 PM

Hmm...I'm torn on going to the game tomorrow. I think this is our only game on NBC? But it's against the Blackhawks, and as a Kings fan I hate the Blackhawks.

Mike?

Old 01-26-2016, 05:25 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Hmm...I'm torn on going to the game tomorrow. I think this is our only game on NBC? But it's against the Blackhawks, and as a Kings fan I hate the Blackhawks.

Mike?
Yes, it is on NBC, at 7:30. Turn it on and cut the sound off. Listen to Chuck Caiton.

I sold my seats, but am thinking of exchanging a ticket and going anyway. It's a long time to February 12.

Hey. The Flyers lost last night. The Islanders lost last night. A Canes win tonight would be Very Cool.
I'm just trying to figure out whether I want the Devils or the Pens to win tonight. Either way, I hope it is in regulation, and only two points.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:14 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Canes, McDonald's Enter Multi-Year Partnership - Carolina Hurricanes - News

Old 01-26-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes, it is on NBC, at 7:30. Turn it on and cut the sound off. Listen to Chuck Caiton.

I sold my seats, but am thinking of exchanging a ticket and going anyway. It's a long time to February 12.

Hey. The Flyers lost last night. The Islanders lost last night. A Canes win tonight would be Very Cool.
I'm just trying to figure out whether I want the Devils or the Pens to win tonight. Either way, I hope it is in regulation, and only two points.
I actually like the NBC commentary. I'm gonna stay home because I don't want to put up with Blackhawks fans.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times
I love hockey talk!! I'm a Rangers fan from NY living in Orlando but moving to Raleigh/Durham next week. I went to a game and some viewing parties last year in Tampa and it was AWESOME - even though the Rangers lost in the end. But the Tampa fans were fun and they really rallied behind their team. Really looking forward to an NHL team in our new town, however, the team is not that great right?? Hopefully it gets better, I would love to get on the band wagon of the local team, but being in last place is hard!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary