Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 04:23 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Hope no one has to pee in that 2.5 minutes window

Everyone will be looking up. I. on the other hand, will be running around naked but wearing a Nixon mask for 2.4 minutes.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 04:29 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
Having never seen a total eclipse (saw a partial one in NYC in the early sixties) I'm eager to see the August event.<>
To all who will travel to the area of totality: As the eclipse approaches the moment of totality, be sure to look to the west to see the shadow approaching you at 1000 MPH.
I intend to set a video camera for that phenomenon.
Be sure to NOT use a camera without a protective cover or lens filter or you'll burn out the camera.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:14 PM

2,351 posts, read 1,744,862 times
The next total solar eclipses to hit the continental USA with totality are these. The links show the eclipse paths.

2024-04(Apr)-08: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoog...08Tgoogle.html

2045-08(Aug)-12: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoog...12Tgoogle.html

2052-03(Mar)-30: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoog...30Tgoogle.html

2071-09(Sep)-23 (really it's Mexico but totality comes very close to TX and the Rio Grande river: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoog...23Tgoogle.html

2078-05(May)-11: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoog...11Tgoogle.html

2079-05(May)-01: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoog...01Tgoogle.html

2099-09(Sep)-14: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoog...14Tgoogle.html

These TSEs are rare events. Get to totality if you can! It'll be worth the effort and the day off of work/school.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:45 AM

653 posts, read 2,706,505 times
I'm excited. Fortunately my family is only 30-45 minutes from Greenville, so I don't have to worry about a hotel room. Traffic will probably be miserable Monday afternoon, but I'm planning to avoid I-85 and willing to put up with it for an event this rare. I'd prefer to go to the mountains of WNC due to cooler weather, but US 74 and I-40 will probably be gridlock when it's over with everyone funneling out of the valley.

Of course the weather may throw a wrench in everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
To all who will travel to the area of totality: As the eclipse approaches the moment of totality, be sure to look to the west to see the shadow approaching you at 1000 MPH.
I hadn't thought of that. That would be amazing to capture from on top of a mountain.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:01 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times
Quote:
In my research I found typical welder's shields are #4 and may not block UV. Go outside next day light and test them.
"Be prepared to blink or go blind"
I have a #14 glass slide too. I heard it was ok but I'll check again. My wife bought eclipse glasses yesterday from Lowes...so either way. We watched the '63 eclipse through 4 or 5 Kodak slides put together...I think it was '63. I haven't gone blind yet

Old 07-23-2017, 05:07 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times
Checked with the Ouija Board earlier. Total washout that day

Old 07-23-2017, 07:03 PM

2,351 posts, read 1,744,862 times
Quote:
I intend to set a video camera for that phenomenon.
Be sure to NOT use a camera without a protective cover or lens filter or you'll burn out the camera.
Yes, that approaching shadow will be very cool to see. If you post your video, please share the link!

This will be my first TSE and I'm reading several articles that warn about focusing on your camera gear during totality and losing out on the TSE experience. Totality is only about 2 minutes, and that can go quickly!

Old 07-23-2017, 08:46 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Yes, that approaching shadow will be very cool to see. If you post your video, please share the link!
This will be my first TSE and I'm reading several articles that warn about focusing on your camera gear during totality and losing out on the TSE experience. Totality is only about 2 minutes, and that can go quickly!
Years ago I was a constant photography nut with an SLR and 35mm slides as my favorite format. One year we went to the county fair to see Joey Chitwood barrel roll an AMC Javelin off a ramp, an amazing stunt to be sure. The slides came out great but then I realized I had not actually seen the trick since I was looking through my lens and the internal mirror blocked my view. I put the camera away and hardly ever used it again.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:00 AM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times
Quote:
Years ago I was a constant photography nut with an SLR and 35mm slides as my favorite format. One year we went to the county fair to see Joey Chitwood barrel roll an AMC Javelin off a ramp, an amazing stunt to be sure. The slides came out great but then I realized I had not actually seen the trick since I was looking through my lens and the internal mirror blocked my view. I put the camera away and hardly ever used it again.
That's probably the biggest thing that bothers me about people today - at concerts and other events they'll be focused on taking photos that they can share to social media or other places that they won't look at again, and then don't even get the experience of what they are attending because they're worried about getting the perfect shot for that.

Not saying that's true for someone who is a professional photographer or someone who likes to dabble in photography but it's definitely easy to miss the moments when they happen.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:17 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
This is why I don't have a lot of photos and videos of my kids as they've gotten older. I'd rather WATCH and/or PARTICIPATE in what they are doing than photograph or video it. It kinda sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary