Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 03:50 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Worried about that as well. It would be such a shame to drive that way and be stuck in traffic seeing the same thing you'd see here.
My hotel is a 50 minute drive from the centerline. I will be in our targeted town by 8:00am. I *hope* that will work. Plan B is to have a few places along the way (parks, parking lots) scoped out in case we have to park a little further out from centerline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 04:31 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,936,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Worried about that as well. It would be such a shame to drive that way and be stuck in traffic seeing the same thing you'd see here.
Yeah, I just hope folks that plan on going allow plenty of time to see this thing...maybe a day or two on each end. We had considered going, but can't commit that much time. We'll be watching from the NC-SC state line.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,608,065 times
Clemson is right at the center line, and I have a hotel room in Hendersonville for Sunday night (cuz I wasn't sure where I'd go from there). I might go to Clemson, they have free parking, but the traffic will be a nightmare.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:27 PM

2,351 posts, read 1,744,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am planning to close the drapes and maybe take a nap. I don't trust those special glasses and it could cause major damage to your retina if you look at it. Better safe than sorry is my motto.
Even though there's a certified safety standard for looking directly at the sun?

ISO 12312-2:2015 -- Eye and face protection -- Sunglasses and related eyewear -- Part 2: Filters for direct observation of the sun
Quote:
This part of ISO 12312 applies to all afocal (plano power) products intended for direct observation of the sun, such as solar eclipse viewing.
https://www.iso.org/standard/59289.html

https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:...:-2:ed-1:v1:en

If a device meets this standard, it should be safe to look directly at the sun.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
We're staying with relatives in Charlotte Sunday night and then heading south Monday. Right now I'm thinking I'll aim toward the middle of nowhere. Worried about traffic backing up on 77 and 85, but we'll just play it by ear. Grandma really wants to see it, so if she wants to go somewhere in particular we might try for that.

If you're in totality it's safe to look at the sun w/o glasses just during the total phase. Won't be safe in the Triangle w/o glasses.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,295,400 times
I read an article last night, which I cannot find now, that said the map of the eclipse is not on target because the size of the sun cannot be measured accurately as it's always changing so it may not actually go coast to coast as thought.

Here's a list of local events. I did see the earlier this week the event at the planetarium in Chapel Hill is sold out, but they will have some tickets early that day and they said to get there Early to get them. They will have outdoor activities. Also talked with the Durham Public Library last month who said the only location doing an event was the Northern library, but now see that's changed as several locations are participating which can be seen on their calendar.

11 events in Raleigh, the Triangle to catch the 2017 summer solar eclipse :: WRAL.com

Last Saturday I called the Lowes in south Durham to see if they had eclipse glasses and was told all 2K were sold to a pre school teacher, which is a scary thought. Imagine a class of preschoolers keeping those glasses on!! I imagine a lot of adults are going to have vision problems too if they don't know they have to have the glasses on as the eclipse begins till it ends if not in a place to total coverage.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:54 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
I read an article last night, which I cannot find now, that said the map of the eclipse is not on target because the size of the sun cannot be measured accurately as it's always changing so it may not actually go coast to coast as thought.
A link to the article can be found in post #184 of this thread. Its not an issue with the eclipse going "coast to coast", its an issue with the width of the corridor of totality. The maps showing the corridor may be off by up to a half mile.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:04 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,608,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
It would be so 2017 if the eclipse didn't even happen here.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,066,077 times
Where can I buy eclipse glasses in the Raleigh area? A friend told me at Toys R Us and Home Depot (??). Any place else selling them?

Old 08-11-2017, 08:28 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,186,337 times
My daughter's preschool sent out a notice saying that they were keeping all kids in for the duration of the eclipse, because despite the teaching moment, it would be impossible to keep glasses on a bunch of toddlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary