Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 09:50 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I know right? Good Lord! LOLOLOL
I'm just going to talk to these neighbors.
I think the letter is very nicely worded, yet firm in your approach. I think you should send it, allow a week for them to comply, and put up the fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Talk is cheap--literally. Yet so underrated. I think you're fine to start with the cheapest, most neighborly option.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:04 AM

271 posts, read 257,689 times
Quote:
Take the survey with you when you do!!

Good luck!

Old 03-30-2018, 10:46 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You don't realize the complications you could be creating for yourself if you try to handle this yourself, without legal representation. It will not cost any more than putting up snow fencing to get a legal opinion and have the attorney write a letter, if any, to the neighbors.

Just my 2c as a retired real estate paralegal.
^^^^^ Yep, yep! Like I said way back when, either pay now, or pay later. You must take that bull by the horns. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:55 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
That seems silly that your husband doesn't want you to send letter. I would think it's best to take care of sooner rather than later. What if next week the neighbor with the shed decided to build a more substantial shed with poured concrete slab, then it would be more of an issue. Don't grant use of your land, that's giving permission and I would think could cause more problems down the road. Not everyone in this world are reasonable rational people.
Take a look at this thread I was following for a while. Not totally same issue but a example of unreasonable people. Starts getting heated up about #77 post.
survey mishap

Last edited by Izzie1213; 03-30-2018 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-30-2018, 11:03 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Talk is cheap--literally. Yet so underrated. I think you're fine to start with the cheapest, most neighborly option.
Unless you have crazy, hotheaded, mean, and violent people next door. There is always that possibility. And you are going over there by yourself? They could be the nicest people in the world, or not. And you may still end up having to employ a lawyer to straighten out a bigger mess. But of course your husband has to agree with whatever is decided on. I know you are trying very hard to do the right thing as well as be thrifty. Sometimes that is a hard combination.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:17 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
I think your 2nd letter was fine.

I'd personally just much rather have my neighbor come knock on my door about this. It just comes off better as a first option than a letter to me. I realize not everyone is like this though.

Kind of like "the sandlot" movie where they are all flustered and try everything to get the ball and in the end find out they just had to knock on the door and ask for the ball back. A polite conversation can go a long way and can always be followed up with letters and further action if it doesn't work.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:32 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Sending out a letter today to the encroaching neighbor to the east of the property. He is the one with part of his shed on our land, riding lawn mower, canoe and firewood. It was a nice typed out letter
I basically said "We are your neighbors that border your back yard and we have noticed lately a few neighbors are using part of our land. We pulled our 'Plat of Survey' and a copy is enclosed. We will be putting up a green boarder fence starting at the start of the woods on our property and running down to the southeast corner and over the the southwest corner. We are doing this to keep everyone honest and for any future owners of this property. We don't want any hard feelings or negativity. We understand if someone has to come onto our property for something that might have gone onto the property or if a dog runs through--we don't care about that. We will be putting up this fence once the ground thaws so please remove any of your items within the next week or so. Thank you for your understanding."
Blah blah blah. LOL
If it hasn't been mentioned - before sending out the letter please spell BORDER correctly

Old 03-30-2018, 11:56 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think the letter is very nicely worded, yet firm in your approach. I think you should send it, allow a week for them to comply, and put up the fence.
I agree. If it was me I would add a specific date (April 15) rather than say "a week or two" as that could easily turn into "many weeks, plus two".

Old 03-30-2018, 12:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
We are Not getting an Attorney unless we really have to. If we have to sell part of that property to this neighbor, we will. Or we might just give him written permission to use part of our land. I know it will all work out one way or the other.
Giving him legal permission to use part of your land, can effect the ability to sell the property in the future, and effect the price. Before you work to sell them part of the land, you will have to have a survey done not only for your present property lines, but also for the piece you are selling. If there are minimum setbacks, it will not only be the building, but must also include enough for the set back requirements. And you will have to get it approved by your local government department over land subdivisions. And it may or may not be allowed depending on size limitations, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate