Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 12:11 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
The partial fence sounds like a fantastic idea. Trespassers unfortunately don't usually respond well to anything but a fence.
They respond best to a lawyer's letter or a court order. A fence is just a hint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 10:43 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times
Sending out a letter today to the encroaching neighbor to the east of the property. He is the one with part of his shed on our land, riding lawn mower, canoe and firewood. It was a nice typed out letter
I basically said "We are your neighbors that border your back yard and we have noticed lately a few neighbors are using part of our land. We pulled our 'Plat of Survey' and a copy is enclosed. We will be putting up a green boarder fence starting at the start of the woods on our property and running down to the southeast corner and over the the southwest corner. We are doing this to keep everyone honest and for any future owners of this property. We don't want any hard feelings or negativity. We understand if someone has to come onto our property for something that might have gone onto the property or if a dog runs through--we don't care about that. We will be putting up this fence once the ground thaws so please remove any of your items within the next week or so. Thank you for your understanding."
Blah blah blah. LOL

Old 03-28-2018, 10:46 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Sounds good in general tone. I do hope it helps.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:52 AM

1,078 posts, read 938,528 times
I hope it is well received. You certainly sound reasonable and polite, and I hope they take it that way and aren’t jerks

Old 03-28-2018, 11:06 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Good fences make good neighbors. We learned that and other proverbs in elementary school. All of them are still true!

Old 03-28-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
I hope it is well received. You certainly sound reasonable and polite, and I hope they take it that way and aren’t jerks
Me too Schmooky!!

Old 03-28-2018, 02:29 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Nicely written letter. But remember, a plat is not a survey so you might get some pushback if the neighbors have had a survey done and it came out differently. But your plat may indeed show identical boundaries to a new survey so hopefully they will not contest it.

Last edited by luv4horses; 03-28-2018 at 03:31 PM..

Old 03-29-2018, 03:15 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Sending out a letter today to the encroaching neighbor to the east of the property. He is the one with part of his shed on our land, riding lawn mower, canoe and firewood. It was a nice typed out letter
I basically said "We are your neighbors that border your back yard and we have noticed lately a few neighbors are using part of our land. We pulled our 'Plat of Survey' and a copy is enclosed. We will be putting up a green boarder fence starting at the start of the woods on our property and running down to the southeast corner and over the the southwest corner. We are doing this to keep everyone honest and for any future owners of this property. We don't want any hard feelings or negativity. We understand if someone has to come onto our property for something that might have gone onto the property or if a dog runs through--we don't care about that. We will be putting up this fence once the ground thaws so please remove any of your items within the next week or so. Thank you for your understanding."
Blah blah blah. LOL
Both highlighted passages are unnecessary and indicate you believe they have been dishonest and make your note sound quite negative. You believe, based on your reading of the survey, that they are over the line; even if they are there is no indication that they have done so intentionally but you have no problem with questioning their honesty.

The tone of your letter would be annoying to me if I did not realize I had encroached on your property; if it turns out I hadn't and you had misread the survey I'd be quite angry. Why take such an aggressive approach, especially without taking the trouble to be sure your opinion is correct?

I had earlier asked if your cable or phone box was shown on the survey to be precisely on the property line but I have not seen a reply.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:29 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
The permanent survey pins on the ground prove where the property line is. If the pins are not present, a licensed surveyor needs re-establish where they are. It is usually cheaper to have the surveyor who did the survey that produced the plat re-establish the survey pins. And at that time his crew can stake out a proposed fence line on the boundary for a nominal additional fee.

A lay person can make erroneous assumptions based solely on a tape measurements & a plat map, especially if line of sight between the two existing property corner survey pin markers is obscured by trees or terrain.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Nicely written letter. But remember, a plat is not a survey so you might get some pushback if the neighbors have had a survey done and it came out differently. But your plat may indeed show identical boundaries to a new survey so hopefully they will not contest it.

" Plats ensure property owners don’t trespass on another’s property, land for public use remains public, lots comply with zoning rules and restrictions, and all property owners have access to utilities.
Be Sure of Your Boundaries
Before you do anything, make sure you know where the boundaries of your property are. You are about to ask your neighbor to move his boundary structure and you don't want to cause resentment over mistaken property lines. In most cases, you'll have received a plat map when you bought your home showing the measured boundary."

I think it will be fine.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate