Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 08:37 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
My husband has a lifetime of construction background and had to look up pipe boot to see what if was. I guess the names of this stuff does vary.

Bo, I never said I don't look at inspection reports. What I won't do is try to be a construction expert. If you are smart you won't either. I've been around guys like this my whole life. Even if you are following an inspector around and asking questions you won't learn enough to know what they do. We aren't suppose to try to be experts in things we aren't. Why let the clients think you are? Let the inspector explain the report if there are questions. He has the background. he wrote the report and if you explain it, you are a lot more likely to be wrong then he is. I've had clients call inspectors before and I've called them too. I don't feel in makes me look less intelligent.

As I first noted, perhaps it's not called a boot in Idaho. I am sorry if you inferred that I was calling you less of an agent in any way. I cannot know the customs in Idaho. I don't try to call myself a construction expert; there are 10 more things that I DON'T know about construction than I DO know. Just Friday, I told a client that one of my strengths wasn't knowing a lot, it was knowing when to admit I DIDN'T know.

As agents, we can certainly reduce our liability by remaining detached from the inspection process. In the opinion of many agents, seemingly most posting here, we're just not going to be doing the best job helping our clients buy and sell homes if we do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 08:40 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Just_because, IF you were an agent in the US, how would you handle the inspection process?

Old 04-02-2018, 08:44 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
How many homes have you sold? Sincere question, I'm not trying to be insulting but realize it may come across that way. I'm curious how much experience you have. And yes, I would expect my agent to be familiar with components of a house and common inspection items. Here it's sunny, hot, and humid. We have to replace every 5-7 years or so.
Yes you are trying to be insulting but please let's hear your brag post paragraph once again. Is that a cut and paste whenever tyou do that or do you actually type it out every time?

Old 04-02-2018, 08:47 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
As I first noted, perhaps it's not called a boot in Idaho. I am sorry if you inferred that I was calling you less of an agent in any way. I cannot know the customs in Idaho. I don't try to call myself a construction expert; there are 10 more things that I DON'T know about construction than I DO know. Just Friday, I told a client that one of my strengths wasn't knowing a lot, it was knowing when to admit I DIDN'T know.

As agents, we can certainly reduce our liability by remaining detached from the inspection process. In the opinion of many agents, seemingly most posting here, we're just not going to be doing the best job helping our clients buy and sell homes if we do so.
Plumbing vent or vent flashing.

And all of you should stay off the roof.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:58 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Plumbing vent or vent flashing.

And all of you should stay off the roof.
The pipe is the vent.
The boot is the flashing.

And, Why?

Old 04-02-2018, 10:20 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
How many homes have you sold? Sincere question, I'm not trying to be insulting but realize it may come across that way. I'm curious how much experience you have. And yes, I would expect my agent to be familiar with components of a house and common inspection items. Here it's sunny, hot, and humid. We have to replace every 5-7 years or so.
Quote:
Yes you are trying to be insulting but please let's hear your brag post paragraph once again. Is that a cut and paste whenever tyou do that or do you actually type it out every time?
I always thought that 'I love boots' referred to pipe boots. Is this not the case?

Guys please. Let's not argue. You might be great agents but you both come across on this board as firmly in the bottom 10% of regulars in terms of your level of communication skills, knowledge, judgment, and professionalism. This is not an insult or criticism, just an honest observation and some feedback that I hope you'll take to heart and use to improve.

This seriously sounds like two 12 year olds fighting. You're not doing yourselves any favors here. There are real professionals here who are probably burying their heads in their hands as you make the industry look bad but they are too polite to say anything. So I'll say it.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:09 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Most people with any common sense understand the food chain and their participants but ...

Mark Twain — ‘Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.’

The entire system needs to be changed so people can pay a reasonable fee for filling out paperwork and not need to have a lawyer oversee the process. If salespeople didn't charge so much for so little, the public may a little more accepting. Just look at all the threads complaining about the costs and services.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:36 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
I always thought that 'I love boots' referred to pipe boots. Is this not the case?

Guys please. Let's not argue. You might be great agents but you both come across on this board as firmly in the bottom 10% of regulars in terms of your level of communication skills, knowledge, judgment, and professionalism. This is not an insult or criticism, just an honest observation and some feedback that I hope you'll take to heart and use to improve.

This seriously sounds like two 12 year olds fighting. You're not doing yourselves any favors here. There are real professionals here who are probably burying their heads in their hands as you make the industry look bad but they are too polite to say anything. So I'll say it.
Speaking of communication, you never communicated how you would handle the inspections if you were an agent?

Old 04-02-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Nope, if I'm trying to be insulting you'd know it. That's why I gave the disclaimer I did. Some of your posts on topics are interesting and different from most of the other regulars so I was simply curious. We also clearly come down on different sides of the fence on "broker" topics.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Most people with any common sense understand the food chain and their participants but ...

Mark Twain — ‘Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.’

The entire system needs to be changed so people can pay a reasonable fee for filling out paperwork and not need to have a lawyer oversee the process. If salespeople didn't charge so much for so little, the public may a little more accepting. Just look at all the threads complaining about the costs and services.
Actually considering the sheer number of homes sold every year the posts don't seem so outrageous. Some people, like the OP, seem to be very good at finding bad service so perhaps if they changed their search process things will get better and the bad agents will be forced to go into other lines of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate