Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 12:53 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times

Advertisements

Hands down, a "V and S " Cheese Steak. Sadly, I found their shop closed when I went back to visit my home town over Thanksgiving. I have been eating V and S Cheese Steaks for 50 years. We LIVED for those sandwiches over visits back home. It was one of the things that converted DH from vegetarianism (I cured him of that)... one bite of a cheese steak...tofu, forget it, you are history.

V and S...I miss you.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-03-2016 at 01:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 01:22 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Tuna salad. Tuna, mayo, onions, tomato, lettuce, pepperoncini, vinegar and oregano on Italian bread.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:06 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Bologna, white bread, mustard, potato chips.

Apply mustard to one slice of white bread. Lay on two slices of bologna. Top bologna with potato chips.
Top chips with a slice of white bread. Press the sandwich with the heel of hand to crush chips.
Cut in half, (optional) Enjoy.

I remember watching my Bestie's older sister make this sandwich when I was about nine years old. It took
me years to make my own because my Grandmother, with whom I lived, never bought potato chips.

Today, my favorite is probably a Reuben.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Bologna, white bread, mustard, potato chips.

Apply mustard to one slice of white bread. Lay on two slices of bologna. Top bologna with potato chips.
Top chips with a slice of white bread. Press the sandwich with the heel of hand to crush chips.
Cut in half, (optional) Enjoy.

I remember watching my Bestie's older sister make this sandwich when I was about nine years old. It took
me years to make my own because my Grandmother, with whom I lived, never bought potato chips.

Today, my favorite is probably a Reuben.
have to smile cause so many people think Bologna is for the poor people or to be fed to the dogs.. I still love a good bologna and cheese sandwich, but I want mustard on one piece of bread and mayo on the other. No, certainly not my favorite, but one of them. I think my favorite is either hamburger or ham and swiss on really good, solid bread like sour dough. Avocado is another and so in Rueben. Oh, and I can't forget liverwurst.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:56 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
A grilled cheese, with lots of gooey, warm, melty Velveeta...yeah, I know it's bad...but it's so goooooood.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:56 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Reuben, Philly Cheesesteak, and BLT with extra mayo.....in that order.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Actually pretty much any. I just don't care for the American style sandwich with the bread on the bottom AND a bread on the top, then so much on the middle, it's hard/uncivilized to eat. Way too much carbs. Mine are all open faced.
I grew up eating open face sandwiches as my mother is Norwegian, but I don't take quite the elitist view of 'two-slice' sandwiches expressed here.

That said, there is an art to building a sanwich with the proper ratio of bread to meat/filling and when that ratio is off it is usually either too messy or too bready. But I wouldn't say it is uncivilized.

So with this dichotomy of open faced vs. 'two-slice' sandwiches in mind, I will give my favorite of each:

Open face: Jarlsberg and salami on dense, whole wheat bread.
Hon. Mention: Shrimp salad with squirt of lemon juice and sprig of dill on crust of french bread.

Two-slice: Tuna salad with shredded lettuce on hero/hoagie roll.
Hon. Mention: Reuben on rye bread

<EDIT>
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Vietnamese Bahn Mi Hoagie sandwiches.
Oh, yes. A bahn mi with pork is one of the greatest things on earth to me. It would make the top of my list but that spot is reserved for comfort food.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I grew up eating open face sandwiches as my mother is Norwegian, but I don't take quite the elitist view of 'two-slice' sandwiches expressed here.

That said, there is an art to building a sanwich with the proper ratio of bread to meat/filling and when that ratio is off it is usually either too messy or too bready. But I wouldn't say it is uncivilized.

So with this dichotomy of open faced vs. 'two-slice' sandwiches in mind, I will give my favorite of each:

Open face: Jarlsberg and salami on dense, whole wheat bread.
Hon. Mention: Shrimp salad with squirt of lemon juice and sprig of dill on crust of french bread.

Two-slice: Tuna salad with shredded lettuce on hero/hoagie roll.
Hon. Mention: Reuben on rye bread

<EDIT>

Oh, yes. A bahn mi with pork is one of the greatest things on earth to me. It would make the top of my list but that spot is reserved for comfort food.
No shredded lettuce for me on any sandwich. Give me a the real thing, not a lot, but not shredded either.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:11 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
And the (probably apocryphal) Earl of Sandwich origin story is that a sandwich is supposed to be easy to eat, without dirtying a bunch of cooking and eating utensils. Maybe people have gone overboard here and there, but a simple sandwich isn't uncivilized.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:13 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
In 2002, with only months to live, Warrren Zevon made his final appearance on David Letterman. Letterman asked him if, knowing he had such a short time, he had any lessons to share regarding what was important in life and how to live a good life. Zevon said, "Enjoy every sandwich."

So... I like 'em all!
Awwww...

Even so, my favorite probably isn't to be found at the Pioneer Chicken Stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes