Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 AM

5,585 posts, read 984,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
I just received my first crock pot yesterday - a birthday gift from my brother

Looking for some interesting stew recipes

I went to HEB and got some stew flavoring mixes but no stew meat cause I was rushing, was almost late coming into work this morning.

Can anyone offer some of their favorite stew recipes or slow cook recipes....

i recently found out you can cook spare ribs in the crockpot with brown sugar, worchester sauce and dr. pepper???

btw i am not a veggie person, so me adding chopped carrots I won't end up eating them it will just be a waste.

Can I cook a mini turkey in there for thanksgiving?

Stew has veggies in it, surprised you asked for stew recipes if you are not a veggies person, I would not know of any way to make stew w/o putting veggies in.

My favorite recipe I make with stew beef, I add potatoes, mushrooms, onions, & whatever else I care to add. Of course this is adding vegetables. Sometimes I add brussel sprouts. Also, other favorites:

Golumpkis
beef pot roast

I don't see why you couldn't put a mini turkey in crock pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I haven't done of these recipes, but I definitely will one day:

A Year of Slow Cooking

Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
This is one we like (delete any vegetables you don't care for):

Crockpot chicken cacciatore

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in bite-size pieces
1 cup (or more) sliced mushrooms (we like cremini, they hold up better to long cooking)
1 cup (or more) sliced bell peppers
1 cup (or more) sliced onions
At least 1 clove of minced garlic (we used three cloves and thought that was just right)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 can of crushed tomatoes
A good splash of dry red wine
Dried oregano - a teaspoon or two
Dried basil - a teaspoon or two
Salt and pepper

Dump all of that in your crock-pot, stir up, cover, and cook 5 or 6 hours on high, or 6 to 8 hours on low. Serve over short pasta (rotini, gemelli, farfalle, etc.).

We like both of these versions of Posole a lot:

Red Posole

1 Lb pork, cubed Or 1 Lb beef, cubed
1 16 oz can white hominy (the normal sized can – it may not be exactly 16 oz)
4 Cup chicken or beef broth
2 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs Paprika
1 Tbs powered cumin
Cilantro for garnish if desired
Lime wedges for garnish if desired

Brown the pork (beef) if using raw. Put meat and remaining ingredients into crock-pot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for six. Taste the broth and add salt if needed.
Serve with chopped cilantro and lime wedges

Green Posole

1 Lb chicken cubed (can be leftover roasted)
1 16 oz can white hominy (the normal sized can – it may not be exactly 16 oz)
4 Cup chicken
2 small cans mild green chile
1 Jalapeno, minced
1 Tbs powered cumin
Cilantro for garnish if desired
Lime wedges for garnish if desired

Put all ingredients in crock-pot, and cook on high for three hours or low for five hours.
Taste the broth and add salt if needed.
Serve with chopped cilantro and lime wedges

There's a City-Data member named Jaxson who bakes potatoes in a crock-pot, which would be a fabulous way to enjoy baked potatoes without heating up the whole kitchen. I don't recall the exact details, but it involves crocking well-scrubbed baking potatoes for five or six hours, with no added liquid. I believe the potatoes might have been lightly coated with oil beforehand, but am not sure.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:35 AM

890 posts, read 2,280,220 times
http://www.chef-in-training.com/2012...ooker-recipes/

These are all very simple recipes, great if you're in a rush to get the ingredients prepared or are working with a limited pantry/budget

Old 11-02-2012, 03:40 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Baked potatoes are easy in the cockpot. We served a baked potato bar work, and it was simple to bake the potatoes in crock pots. Probably the easiest meal we ever did.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:51 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Place one chopped onion in the bottom of the crockpot. Add pork chops, as many as you want. Cover with beer. Cook on low for at least 6 hours, until the pork chops are cooked through.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
^^ I'm going to try this one!

Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
You can cook almost anything in the slow cooker -- as long as it isn't too big to shut the lid properly.

My stew recipe is way simple: Set the cooker on HIGH and when it's good and hot, sautee the stew meat, dredged in flour, on the bottom. (To dredge the meat, put a half-cup of flour with salt and pepper in a Ziploc bag, seal the meat chunx in it and shake to coat.) Then chop up some scrubbed, cubed potatoes (skin and all) and toss them in on top of the meat. Add a bay leaf and half a cup of water, cover and let cook for 4 hours. Meat and potatoes are in any amount/proportion you want.

You can also skip the flour and just sling everything I listed above, except the water, into the slow cooker and pour over a jar of ready-made beef gravy. Now THAT's simplicity.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:55 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,884 times
Crock pot plus anything .... cook for 6 hrs (or more), great stuff!

See how easy it is?

The best thing about a crock pot is you can cook something 5 hrs to long and it is still good.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Baked apples are easy, too. Just don't let them cook too long or they turn into applesauce. But that reminds me that applesauce is easy to make in a slow cooker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes