Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Ahh, I see what you're saying and totally agree. What I typically come across, as I understand it, is claims of wanting career and family (having it all) as having the cake, eating it, etc.

eta: that happened to be the message I got from addicted2helping.
I think women could easily have a career and have kids if men would pick up the slack and not still leave them with 80% of the household chores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 10:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think women could easily have a career and have kids if men would pick up the slack and not still leave them with 80% of the household chores.
Exactly, but many claim such expectations/desires are "having it all" and it's too much to ask. F*ck that. I want the the working husband, my career, family, and for my dh to still fetch me my morning coffee.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:43 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Thank you for that post Viking.

For the feminist-hating men out there, please read what Viking has to say then go away and think about it for awhile. Clearly the man-hating radical feminism is not the majority, it is the result of mainly left-wing, ivory tower lesbians.

Equal rights should not frighten anyone. If the thought of a woman having equality upsets you as a man, then grow up and do some reading of history. Because there you will find centuries of abuse against women, centuries of women as chattel and centuries of women not being considered 'real' adults.

The feminist movement allowed women to finally have a voice, to finally be able to vote, to finally be able to work and have somewhat equal pay.

If you despise that so much you are truly an evil minded individual, full of hate and malice. A true misogynist.
I do not have a problem with socalled Equal rights for any person but where i'm talking about is where a both sides have taken to a point where there is no longer a point or counter point in a men or women .

Now i do laundry for my girl and i cook and clean and do other thing's because of my work week hour's is diff than her along with the time she is home some days because of a 55 hour a week at her job .So alot of times when she come home her kid and i have eatten and there is something in the fridge for her to eat when she get home..I stop by everyday after work because she does not live that far from me in Manhattan and i feed the kid and make sure she has done her homework ..

I have basically have become the semi liveing in the house at time's and her kid think's it i'm allright now because of me comeing over after my work and makeing sure the home work done & food on the table & dish are done after supper & clean cloth's are in the room's .

I taught the kid some basic quick meals that she can make without alot of prep time and taught her how to do laundry and sew on a button and do some other basic home chore's there over the last few month's ..She learning how to the basic as i was taught by mother in the house ..

I do not have a problem with socalled grender swaping role's in the house hold areas the problem i have is where the socalled Fasict side of the whole women movement has come into the home and say you must do this or that ..

I find it funny that most of the women that she works for can not sew on a button on a shirt or shop with coupon's or do basic shoe shine on a pair of shoe's or press a shirt or blouse to make it look sharp or do some basic things in the home ..

I found it funny that day that one of the socalled group's of lady's who was around the age of 35 to 40 yeas of old could not make a simple four cheese Mac & cheese dish with grilled chicken with lemon sauce i had bought for her to eat for lunch ..

They had the look on there face's when i was explain how to make it like i was from outerspace ..

They have forget how to be a women first and how look and act like women ..

They have forget how to dress like a women & talk like a women and do there hair or make up or walk in heels of some of the basic's of a women should know how to do and no i'm not talking about bring them back to the 1950's standard but there is something that we have forget and we need to go back to .. .

Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
I find it funny that most of the women that she works for can not sew on a button on a shirt or shop with coupon's or do basic shoe shine on a pair of shoe's or press a shirt or blouse to make it look sharp or do some basic things in the home ..
I don't think it's a matter of cannot, but will not. Anybody can sew a button, shine shoes, follow a recipe (if they can read) barring mental defect. Some choose not to.

Quote:

They have forget how to dress like a women & talk like a women and do there hair or make up or walk in heels of some of the basic's of a women should know how to do and no i'm not talking about bring them back to the 1950's standard but there is something that we have forget and we need to go back to .. .
According to you. If somebody wants to go around in a mini and heels, man or woman, good for them. But you don't get to decide the standards of what constitutes a woman. That's not your place. Frankly, for my own life, I have no need to adhere to the standards of people I don't and will never know.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:02 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-writer-guy View Post
Over the past 50-60 years, where there once were clear gender roles, (Men were the bread winners, women were the mommys) now it seems that which ever person can be whatever he/she wants. My question is not about women's liberation, (I personally would rather date/marry a liberated woman than a woman with societal limitations), but instead how do you think blurred gender roles have effected our (hetrosexual) relationships...
It meant that relationships were more likely the exercise of freewill by both participants and less subject to financial or reproductive matters.

[more want, less need]

Old 07-10-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't think it's a matter of cannot, but will not. Anybody can sew a button, shine shoes, follow a recipe (if they can read) barring mental defect. Some choose not to.

According to you. If somebody wants to go around in a mini and heels, man or woman, good for them. But you don't get to decide the standards of what constitutes a woman. That's not your place. Frankly, for my own life, I have no need to adhere to the standards of people I don't and will never know.
Then they need to be remind of the old saying never get above your raiseing because one day you might find yourself back there ..

beside everyone who by the time of the 12th grade should have taken life lesson 101 about how to do some basic thing's beside opening a can up and putting it into the mircowave to heat it up to eat

Yes i do have the right to say who is going to be around me and if you do not act right as i call it then you are not going to be allowed around me and i'm a little old fashion in a few area and i over the age of 50 some my veiw's on the world are a little diff than this generation ..

As a lawyer my lady has a little bit of a maneater minset way of thinking outside the house when she at work and we had this talk about when she walk's through the door about hey leave it at the office and it all it problems your home now and you not in the rat race of the office politcs and other things that goes inside the place where you work at ..

When you come home throw on a pair of scub's & t-shirt put the hair up in a pony tail and relax because you no longer in the office work setting ..

but when we are going out put a little effort into what you look like and that means if i'm standing there in a suit and tie hold ticket's to the threate or some other event that you want to go .. it means getting up and dressing for the threate and not going in sweatpants and t-shirt and this one lady had on that one night when we went to see a play there on Broadway

or

If i'm standing there in jean's and t-shirt and hikeing boot's and saying if you are ready the movie start's at this time and we go grab something to eat before it or after it ..That mean's i do not really care as along you covered in a the areas you need to cover in when out in public ..

So grab your phone and Driver's lic's & credit card & house keys and let's go to the place ..if you see me with a backpack it means we are going to the bookstore at Stand's and i'm going shopping first before the movie for book's

Old 07-10-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Then they need to be remind of the old saying never get above your raiseing because one day you might find yourself back there ..
I don't know what that means. Never get above your raiseing? Do you mean raising?

Quote:
beside everyone who by the time of the 12th grade should have taken life lesson 101 about how to do some basic thing's beside opening a can up and putting it into the mircowave to heat it up to eat
I don't think any of that stuff needs learning. It's not as if people are too stupid to read. Recipes tend to have play by play directions. A person that might be too impatient to follow a recipe has an issue with impatience, or perhaps laziness, not capability.

Quote:
Yes i do have the right to say who is going to be around me and if you do not act right as i call it then you are not going to be allowed around me and i'm a little old fashion in a few area and i over the age of 50 some my veiw's on the world are a little diff than this generation ..
No one is saying you don't have a right to have the type of people around you that you want. I just fail to see the merit in telling folk how they should behave. Just don't hang with folk that don't operate the way you would like.

Quote:
As a lawyer my lady has a little bit of a maneater minset way of thinking outside the house when she at work and we had this talk about when she walk's through the door about hey leave it at the office and it all it problems your home now and you not in the rat race of the office politcs and other things that goes inside the place where you work at ..

When you come home throw on a pair of scub's & t-shirt put the hair up in a pony tail and relax because you no longer in the office work setting ..
Ok, sounds reasonable.

Quote:
but when we are going out put a little effort into what you look like and that means if i'm standing there in a suit and tie hold ticket's to the threate or some other event that you want to go .. it means getting up and dressing for the threate and not going in sweatpants and t-shirt
Again, barring mental defect I think most people know there's a time and place for specific dress. I have never seen any person show up to rockefeller center in a pair of sweats. What you're suggesting here is that folk, overall, lack common sense. I disagree.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 PM

It saying from my age group it means never get to big for your pant's to fit you and i grew up in Utah so my upbringing is a little saight lace in alot of areas ..

we had in our highschool for both boy's and girls had to take it along with one year of home economics for both sexs in the highschool along with shop in the last year of highschool ..the girls in shop learned how to change a tire and change the oil on there car and basic other thing's about a car in shop ..

you had to take or you did not get to get out school intill you did or quit school ..that was the only way you got out of the class ..

She was the one who pointed out to me about the lady in a t-shirt and what look like sweat pants at the threate one night and i could not belive that someone would leave the house that way

I will not put up with people who can not act or be nice to other people in public or act in away that some what nice in public ..There is some people in this world have forgetten about cussing in public or doing things that are rude or other common sense ways when out in public ..like just holding the door open for someone or giveing up your seat to a old person or a pregant women or helping a person with there stuff as they go up the steps on the subway ..

Pull your pant's up no one want's to see your underwear and that goes for everyone of all races's & speak clear and proper langauge do not sound like you trying out for the next snoop dog video when you come through the door in my office looking for work ..

It abount simple basic common sense rules that we of the both sexs live by and alot of people have forget about the basic rules

it about common basic things that a person should have been taught and when people forget that there basic up bringing on some of the subect's of have common sense way of thinking ..

As i explained to my lady a few times when have had our talks it about areas where she has crossed over into a area that i feel is unlady like and she should not do it because you not in the office anymore and you not trying to out do the other male lawyer's in the office to get the big account .So leave the mind set there when we are togerther away from the office . .

As far as the outside the house thing it her world there in the dog eat dog world of lawyer's and i just visting it there but there are thing's that she had to be reminded of once she leave's that world and come's into my world about how things go with each other and how we talk to each other ..

Old 07-10-2011, 08:48 PM

346 posts, read 507,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
This is after you said you had an issue with how other people manage their families, houses and meals.
Let me clarify, in my opinion, I am not finding lack in others, I am finding that society in general views homemaking as less valuable than it once was, that because "we" have set wage earning jobs as the goal, all other roles and jobs are somehow less valuable.

That "we" see earning a pay check as more important than raising our kids, that women who chose traditional roles of home making are under valued, viewed as wasting an education if they have one, are viewed as less than.

That is my opinion, that our society does not value home making, nurturing and caring for a family, that by removing clear cut gender roles, we have drawn the line about what is worth fighting for, and apparently it is a wage earning job.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:09 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:

I don't think women should dress or act in any sort of uniform way, just as much as I don't think men should.

I agree that it's an issue that many people have lost touch with some very basic skills, but that's not an issue for females, it's just as much an issue for men.

I actually know guys who wouldn't know how to even change the battery in their car. I don't see how that's not just as bad.

We should all know how to cook and iron a shirt, as well as changing the battery in a car. And we should let go of archaic ideas of how men and women should dress or act, as long as they act with a certain level of civility. (within the law)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2helping View Post
Let me clarify, in my opinion, I am not finding lack in others, I am finding that society in general views homemaking as less valuable than it once was, that because "we" have set wage earning jobs as the goal, all other roles and jobs are somehow less valuable.

That "we" see earning a pay check as more important than raising our kids, that women who chose traditional roles of home making are under valued, viewed as wasting an education if they have one, are viewed as less than.

That is my opinion, that our society does not value home making, nurturing and caring for a family, that by removing clear cut gender roles, we have drawn the line about what is worth fighting for, and apparently it is a wage earning job.
Nothing wrong with choosing to be home if one so wish and can afford it, but why do you talk like you can't do both? By that I mean, both work and lovingly and with care, raise a child, have home cooked meals and keep the place clean?

It's not that hard...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships