Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Are many here like me? If I'm walking down the street, for instance, quite a few girls/women catch my eye - I mean they look fairly attractive, or they're wearing something nice, but when I look closer, I can look past their makeup, and often they look fairly plain. I feel a lot of women these days have a kind of artificial beauty: like they look good at first, or from a distance, but on closer inspection, not so great.

Not that I base everything on looks, but I constantly see women with pretty average FACES but great bodies and great fashion sense being called beautiful and stuff. Good for them, not trying to ruin their party (although it can go to their heads), but I think there's a certain type or types of faces/features that I find attractive in a lady I don't see all that often.

Do you think this is generally true? Like dating sites too...a lot of attractive profile pics, but when you see their gallery: things almost always go downhill. Go back to the 1880s and many women looked masculine, almost like men. I think this is because women are expected to be the 'prettier' or more beautiful sex, and society has fed this idea, so that you hold them on a pedestal and expect so much from them you are really disappointed. On average, both men and women are about equal in terms of looks, in slightly different ways, but there's more overlap than you think.

Strip away all the adornments and cosmetics, and a lot of women actually have fairly plain or masculine or unattractive faces. Just my take anyway...

Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
My life would totally suck too if I looked at everyone under a microscope.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are many here like me? If I'm walking down the street, for instance, quite a few girls/women catch my eye - I mean they look fairly attractive, or they're wearing something nice, but when I look closer, I can look past their makeup, and often they look fairly plain. I feel a lot of women these days have a kind of artificial beauty: like they look good at first, or from a distance, but on closer inspection, not so great.

Not that I base everything on looks, but I constantly see women with pretty average FACES but great bodies and great fashion sense being called beautiful and stuff. Good for them, not trying to ruin their party (although it can go to their heads), but I think there's a certain type or types of faces/features that I find attractive in a lady I don't see all that often.

Do you think this is generally true? Like dating sites too...a lot of attractive profile pics, but when you see their gallery: things almost always go downhill. Go back to the 1880s and many women looked masculine, almost like men. I think this is because women are expected to be the 'prettier' or more beautiful sex, and society has fed this idea, so that you hold them on a pedestal and expect so much from them you are really disappointed. On average, both men and women are about equal in terms of looks, in slightly different ways, but there's more overlap than you think.

Strip away all the adornments and cosmetics, and a lot of women actually have fairly plain or masculine or unattractive faces. Just my take anyway...
It seems strange that you're seeing a lot of these types. Maybe it's just what your mind is focussing on. But I know what you mean, to a degree. I don't know if anyone remembers Princess Diana's first photos. She was actually pretty plain. It wasn't until she got high-end make-up artists and hairdressers to work on her that suddenly she was declared a great beauty. But she wasn't, really. It was all PR.

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but there are plenty of women who don't wear make-up. Try looking for women without make-up, instead of girls you think are disguising average looks with make-up, and see what happens. A good psychological experiment. We tend to see what we're looking for.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It seems strange that you're seeing a lot of these types. Maybe it's just what your mind is focussing on. But I know what you mean, to a degree. I don't know if anyone remembers Princess Diana's first photos. She was actually pretty plain. It wasn't until she got high-end make-up artists and hairdressers to work on her that suddenly she was declared a great beauty. But she wasn't, really. It was all PR.

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but there are plenty of women who don't wear make-up. Try looking for women without make-up, instead of girls you think are disguising average looks with make-up, and see what happens. A good psychological experiment. We tend to see what we're looking for.
I live in Australia. Wearing makeup is pretty de riguer for women my age, I think. I've notice how attractive I find women depends on a lot of things: weirdly enough, my mood plays a big role. When I'm feeling negative the world seems like a hostile place...like in the Doors song 'People are Strange', 'faces look ugly, when you're alone, women seem wicked...' and people in general seem less attractive and hostile.

When I'm feeling good, I can see the beauty - physical beauty in more people and people also seem kinder and more friendly. For me, having a nice personality DOES make someone seem prettier/more beautiful to me. Also spending time with them sometimes has this effect or having feelings for them.

When I used to club a lot a lot of the women seemed like solid 8s+ (to reduce them to a number, I know). But these same women looked plain in broad daylight. It was a combination of hair, makeup, lighting and alcohol. I've seen what seemed like really attractive women wearing no make up and the difference is scary, like they're a totally different person, although now I think I can see through it a bit more.w

Not saying that many women don't have natural beauty, but a sizable percentage aren't as great as they seem.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:46 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
I've not worn make-up since high school.
I'm almost 60.
I have great skin.

Many men seem to be less appealing once you get to know them, too.

I love another bashing women thread to start my day.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've not worn make-up since high school.
I'm almost 60.
I have great skin.

Many men seem to be less appealing once you get to know them, too.

I love another bashing women thread to start my day.
It's good to know who my friends are.

I expected this...but really, my intention was not to bait. Some people can't seem to discuss things without feeling as if they are under attack...Feel free to create as many 'man-bashing' threads as you like.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:56 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroParkGuy View Post
They should never have invented makeup and hairdye.

Thankfully they did!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times
What you are like on the inside shows on the face. I believe this 100%

If you are nasty, ugly, angry, resentful.....it shows.

If you are sweet, kind, loving, happy....that shows too!

I know of old ladies who radiate a kind of beauty.....that makes you think "They are lovely, they must have been stunning when they were young"

Some say....that by the time you get to your 50's you get the face you deserve!

Plus....I love make up. Feel naked without it. But I don't plaster it on. It should enhance not obliterate!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,684,301 times
I've heard alcohol makes us all prettier, wittier and more charming. Maybe I should rethink that no drinking thing

Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 AM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Do you ever step away from the computer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.