Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think we've been culturally conditioned to see the female form as aesthetically preferable, in a way. Not saying it's wrong, but everything is a result of the environment we grow up in.
Men condition men to look at the female body as more sexually appealing. It isn't in fact any more appealing than a mans body (IMO) but marketing (specifically male-driven media) says this is the way it is and men follow suit whether its actually the case or not.

High-end women's fashion magazines that focus on couture clothing choose models that often times resemble nothing close to what a mans idea womanly figure is. Vogue uses print models who are often times extremely tall, flat-chested, thin and not the a-typical desirable women.

Men make women sex objects, not women.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm not trying to understand what it's like being a man - merely trying to understand why YOU are letting all these things affect you and embitter you towards women.
Well again I don't think I'm overtly bitter towards women - but as I just admitted, sometimes the bitter thoughts surface. I really do believe in gender equality and all that, but I think there are some things that are just wrong/weird about society and that causes me to take it out on people in my mind.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
I feel a lot of women these days have a kind of artificial beauty: like they look good at first, or from a distance, but on closer inspection, not so great.
This is not exclusive to women.

Beauty comes from the inside. The sooner you learn that, the happier you'll be.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Men condition men to look at the female body as more sexually appealing. It isn't in fact any more appealing than a mans body (IMO) but marketing (specifically male-driven media) says this is the way it is and men follow suit whether its actually the case or not.

High-end women's fashion magazines that focus on couture clothing choose models that often times resemble nothing close to what a mans idea womanly figure is. Vogue uses print models who are often times extremely tall, flat-chested, thin and not the a-typical desirable women.

Men make women sex objects, not women.
No, it was only recently that I began to realize - hey, the nude male too is actually kind of a work of art. I suppose thinking about how I perceived my own body as inadequate. In other words, that I could appreciate men without fearing I was gay.

Fact is, a good portion of men and women have bodies that wouldn't sell very many pairs of underwear but someone out their finds them beautiful/sexy.

When I look at naked or near-naked tribespeople, the women do not stand out as being much prettier to look at. Not saying I prefer looking at the men, but why can't things be equal? The male is beautiful because of the aquilline, muscular leanness, the female for the sensuous curves. Neither is better or worse, just different. The male form has a sensuousness to it too, and the female a sort of strength to it too.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This is not exclusive to women.

Beauty comes from the inside. The sooner you learn that, the happier you'll be.
That's my main point, actually.

Yes, applies to men too, but in general it's more 'what you see is what you get' with them.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
No, it was only recently that I began to realize - hey, the nude male too is actually kind of a work of art. I suppose thinking about how I perceived my own body as inadequate. In other words, that I could appreciate men without fearing I was gay.

Fact is, a good portion of men and women have bodies that wouldn't sell very many pairs of underwear but someone out their finds them beautiful/sexy.

When I look at naked or near-naked tribespeople, the women do not stand out as being much prettier to look at. Not saying I prefer looking at the men, but why can't things be equal? The male is beautiful because of the aquilline, muscular leanness, the female for the sensuous curves. Neither is better or worse, just different. The male form has a sensuousness to it too, and the female a sort of strength to it too.
All things are not equal. Men and women are never going to be completely equal in all things - we are just different. Not being equal is not a bad thing. Men will never be able to have babies. Women will never have a penis. People are far too interesting to be completely equal. All things are not equal. Life is not fair. This is just the way things are. The sooner you accept it - the sooner you can appreciate it. And why do you feel like there is a competition between who has the better form? I don't understand why you are so hung up on that. What does it matter? People on here talk about how society places more importance on men being funny than women. Some men on here have said that women just flat out aren't as funny as men. Well - guess what? I'm funny. I don't care what anyone says. I'm a funny person! And people who know me agree. So what do I care what society thinks? It doesn't change who I am.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,612 times
You get what you see with everyone, if you pay close enough attention it is all there on the surface.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
That's my main point, actually.

Yes, applies to men too, but in general it's more 'what you see is what you get' with them.
I don't think you really know what your main point is. What I get as your main point is that you are sick of people talking about how beautiful women are because you are not a woman.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Actually that's me too. It's not like, 'damn girl, you actually ugly!' More like, she's actually kinda average (not in a good or bad way), whaddaya know. And I've been attracted to gals like that, for me attraction isn't purely physical.
I absolutely know what you mean there. For example, sometimes actresses playing certain characters can be very attractive to me, while out of the context of that character they don't have that draw for me, even though they're still objectively attractive.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
All things are not equal. Men and women are never going to be completely equal in all things - we are just different. Not being equal is not a bad thing. Men will never be able to have babies. Women will never have a penis. People are far too interesting to be completely equal. All things are not equal. Life is not fair. This is just the way things are. The sooner you accept it - the sooner you can appreciate it. And why do you feel like there is a competition between who has the better form? I don't understand why you are so hung up on that. What does it matter? People on here talk about how society places more importance on men being funny than women. Some men on here have said that women just flat out aren't as funny as men. Well - guess what? I'm funny. I don't care what anyone says. I'm a funny person! And people who know me agree. So what do I care what society thinks? It doesn't change who I am.
If you remember back far enough I started a thread 'are women unfunny' actually disputing that very idea that men were innately more funny.

Well it matters because it's a way in which some women and men totally devalue men.How would you feel if men started saying that they found men sexier, they could live without women? Wouldn't make you feel very good, would it?

Last edited by Trimac20; 05-09-2012 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.