Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are many here like me? If I'm walking down the street, for instance, quite a few girls/women catch my eye - I mean they look fairly attractive, or they're wearing something nice, but when I look closer, I can look past their makeup, and often they look fairly plain. I feel a lot of women these days have a kind of artificial beauty: like they look good at first, or from a distance, but on closer inspection, not so great.

Not that I base everything on looks, but I constantly see women with pretty average FACES but great bodies and great fashion sense being called beautiful and stuff. Good for them, not trying to ruin their party (although it can go to their heads), but I think there's a certain type or types of faces/features that I find attractive in a lady I don't see all that often.

Do you think this is generally true? Like dating sites too...a lot of attractive profile pics, but when you see their gallery: things almost always go downhill. Go back to the 1880s and many women looked masculine, almost like men. I think this is because women are expected to be the 'prettier' or more beautiful sex, and society has fed this idea, so that you hold them on a pedestal and expect so much from them you are really disappointed. On average, both men and women are about equal in terms of looks, in slightly different ways, but there's more overlap than you think.

Strip away all the adornments and cosmetics, and a lot of women actually have fairly plain or masculine or unattractive faces. Just my take anyway...

there is a large state university several states away from me that is reputed for its "hot girls."

however, you go there, and you realize... they look like girls anywhere, just with more makeup and primping. When you see a group of 10 girls, and they're all dressed up, it can sort of overload the brain.. even if they're all average looking.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
If, upon close inspection, the women you find pretty on the street are not so pretty up close then maybe it's YOUR flaw.

Think about it...sounds like you find someone that is heavily made-up attractive. So instead of being drawn to the make-up, try noticing the girls that don't have it plastered on their face.

I don't look that much different with make-up on. My eyelashes are a little darker/thicker, my lips shimmer a bit more and my skin doesn't shine as much when I wear mascara, lip gloss and powder. Other than that I look pretty much the same.

Stop glamorizing the clown-look and you might find someone with natural beauty.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Do you ever step away from the computer?
I admit it, I have an addiction.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,284,143 times
OP should be more selective in his looking! I used to be enamored with the cookie-cutter pretty look, and glance twice, thrice.. quadrice? Anyway, now I don't look once. I find unique, interesting looking, introverted physical beauty more intriguing and give them my attention (not full attention bc of GF, but quizzical attention).

But I mean can we blame them (females who wear make up)? They understand how much significance men put into physical looks and are trying to put their best, albeit artificial, foot forward. I don't blame them.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
OP should be more selective in his looking! I used to be enamored with the cookie-cutter pretty look, and glance twice, thrice.. quadrice? Anyway, now I don't look once. I find unique, interesting looking, introverted physical beauty more intriguing and give them my attention (not full attention bc of GF, but quizzical attention).

But I mean can we blame them (females who wear make up)? They understand how much significance men put into physical looks and are trying to put their best, albeit artificial, foot forward. I don't blame them.
I don't either...

I think I have semi-conventoinal, maybe more 'classical' tastes in beauty. I generally prefer the beauty of say 1950s film stars compared to the ones today. Angelina or Scarlett Johanssen are SOOOO overrated. They're not ugly, but there are plenty of women on the street I'd prefer. I sometimes find quirky looking girls attractive in their own way.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Are many here like me? If I'm walking down the street, for instance, quite a few girls/women catch my eye - I mean they look fairly attractive, or they're wearing something nice, but when I look closer, I can look past their makeup, and often they look fairly plain. I feel a lot of women these days have a kind of artificial beauty: like they look good at first, or from a distance, but on closer inspection, not so great.

Not that I base everything on looks, but I constantly see women with pretty average FACES but great bodies and great fashion sense being called beautiful and stuff. Good for them, not trying to ruin their party (although it can go to their heads), but I think there's a certain type or types of faces/features that I find attractive in a lady I don't see all that often.

Do you think this is generally true? Like dating sites too...a lot of attractive profile pics, but when you see their gallery: things almost always go downhill. Go back to the 1880s and many women looked masculine, almost like men. I think this is because women are expected to be the 'prettier' or more beautiful sex, and society has fed this idea, so that you hold them on a pedestal and expect so much from them you are really disappointed. On average, both men and women are about equal in terms of looks, in slightly different ways, but there's more overlap than you think.

Strip away all the adornments and cosmetics, and a lot of women actually have fairly plain or masculine or unattractive faces. Just my take anyway...
I do agree with you to a degree.

In the sense that...

1) Women can do a lot more to make themselves attractive. Now being summer, a average woman just putting on a skirt or shorts and showing some skin will make most men want to have sex with her.

2) So many horny guys have called women beautiful and gorgeous without really meaning it, it does kind of feed their ego.

I think this has hurt me because when I am genuinely interested in a woman as a person, she thinks she can do much better than me physically.

Oh well... it is what it is bro...

Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I do agree with you to a degree.

In the sense that...

1) Women can do a lot more to make themselves attractive. Now being summer, a average woman just putting on a skirt or shorts and showing some skin will make most men want to have sex with her.

2) So many horny guys have called women beautiful and gorgeous without really meaning it, it does kind of feed their ego.

I think this has hurt me because when I am genuinely interested in a woman as a person, she thinks she can do much better than me physically.

Oh well... it is what it is bro...
Exactly...also I wish people would stop confusing 'sexy' and 'beautiful.'

Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
What a nice thread! Women are less attractive the more you look at them! How sweet!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
I live in Australia. Wearing makeup is pretty de riguer for women my age, I think. I've notice how attractive I find women depends on a lot of things: weirdly enough, my mood plays a big role. When I'm feeling negative the world seems like a hostile place...like in the Doors song 'People are Strange', 'faces look ugly, when you're alone, women seem wicked...' and people in general seem less attractive and hostile.

When I'm feeling good, I can see the beauty - physical beauty in more people and people also seem kinder and more friendly. For me, having a nice personality DOES make someone seem prettier/more beautiful to me. Also spending time with them sometimes has this effect or having feelings for them.
OK, so we've established that you're somewhat manic-depressive, or moody, so really, this whole issue is mostly in your mind.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 AM

348 posts, read 550,079 times
The flip side is most of my guy friends seem to be in shape, but when we get to the beach a lot of them have hairy backs, are in bad shape, and even some of the skinnier-framed fellas have beer bellies (for the record, I don't have a six-pack, but I don't have a belly either). Fortunately, men aren't expected to wear form-fitting clothing.

Women can do more to make themselves attractive, but I think the bar is set higher and rather than it being easier for women because they can change, instead more is expected.

In the end, it really is all about chemistry. My most recent gf wore a lot of make-up, and I noticed this when we first met. I didn't see her without it until a few months in, and I really didn't care at that point. Years ago I had a long term relationship with a girl who never wore make-up. It all depends on each woman's personal style and comfort with how they project themselves.

Anyway, point is nobody looks that great upon close examination, it's just that society places more pressure on women to keep up appearances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships