Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

I think I'm touching on a few issues in this thread. My mood could be one of them. I think most people - both men and women - probably have shades of misogyny or misandry, but believe me that was not the motivation for this thread.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostren View Post
The flip side is most of my guy friends seem to be in shape, but when we get to the beach a lot of them have hairy backs, are in bad shape, and even some of the skinnier-framed fellas have beer bellies (for the record, I don't have a six-pack, but I don't have a belly either). Fortunately, men aren't expected to wear form-fitting clothing.

Women can do more to make themselves attractive, but I think the bar is set higher and rather than it being easier for women because they can change, instead more is expected.

In the end, it really is all about chemistry. My most recent gf wore a lot of make-up, and I noticed this when we first met. I didn't see her without it until a few months in, and I really didn't care at that point. Years ago I had a long term relationship with a girl who never wore make-up. It all depends on each woman's personal style and comfort with how they project themselves.

Anyway, point is nobody looks that great upon close examination, it's just that society places more pressure on women to keep up appearances.
Guys certainly CAN do a lot more to 'pretty' themselves up. It's cultural for women to be the 'attractive' ones.

If women did nothing they'd be the same...they'd have hairy legs and pits, and their faces would look different.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
Same thing goes as well for guys

Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Same thing goes as well for guys
I think women are rated more highly/give more praise...since guys don't try to stand out as much, I think the opposite is true for them. They are usually better looking than they first seem.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think women are rated more highly/give more praise...since guys don't try to stand out as much, I think the opposite is true for them. They are usually better looking than they first seem.

You haven't obviously been to Miami...Many men try and stand out, trust me. It's like the Hispanic version of Jersey Shore

Old 05-09-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
You haven't obviously been to Miami...Many men try and stand out, trust me. It's like the Hispanic version of Jersey Shore
Touche...but I think the girls of Jersey Shore, they do NOTHING for me. Not just their personalities, their looks. Give me a plain Jane with a nice personality ANYWAY over those dolled up wannabes.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:19 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
I think I'm touching on a few issues in this thread. My mood could be one of them. I think most people - both men and women - probably have shades of misogyny or misandry, but believe me that was not the motivation for this thread.
I don't think you are touching nerves - you are just sounding like a jerk. Why on earth would you start a thread about how you think women aren't that attractive? I'm not trying to be mean - I'm really not. But it's kind of a jerky thing to do. What if I started a thread like - Men always seem smarter when I first start talking to them - but then I realize that they are all pretty dumb.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
Maybe you are actively seeking out the flaws in someone to avoid having to deal with getting to know them/intimacy/love/rejection or any other interaction? If you wait around for someone flawless, you'll be waiting a long time.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't think you are touching nerves - you are just sounding like a jerk. Why on earth would you start a thread about how you think women aren't that attractive? I'm not trying to be mean - I'm really not. But it's kind of a jerky thing to do. What if I started a thread like - Men always seem smarter when I first start talking to them - but then I realize that they are all pretty dumb.
I think it's because I see a lot of women being complimented as being so beautiful and stuff...I wonder if people are being kind, or if I have higher/different standards. I actually do find a decent percentage of women attractive, I just don't go for that certain type of look, the 'look at me' look. Maybe I'm sort of annoyed at comments I've been reading about how women are the more objectively pretty/sexy sex and that set something off in me. I just feel a lot of it IS due to perceptions and make up and whatnot. I see many average women being seen as hot stuff... I'm sure if men said those sort of things many women would be aghast.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
Quote:
Strip away all the adornments and cosmetics, and a lot of women actually have fairly plain or masculine or unattractive faces. Just my take anyway...
Quote:
It's good to know who my friends are.

I expected this...but really, my intention was not to bait. Some people can't seem to discuss things without feeling as if they are under attack...Feel free to create as many 'man-bashing' threads as you like.

Oh, enough already with this crap, Trimac. You've been posting threads like this for months now. It's obvious that you, like some of the others here, are a miserable failure with women and are using your spare time to lash out. You expect reactions like Chiel's because you know that your comments are offensive going into it. That is your intent: To offend. Despite your attempts to be passive-aggressive with it, and then come off all "who, me?" when people call you on it, the rest of us see through it.

It's trite. It's old. It's petty. It's lame. Find something constructive to do with your time, for the sake of your own mental health.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...rapesAward.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships