Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I think anyone ready to stop dating should take a breather, because it sounds more like work (pain) than fun (pleasure).

I was never successful when I was actively trying to find someone. Several times in my life it happened at the moment I finally stopped searching, maybe because I was more relaxed and rather than focused/obsessed/anxious about it.

Do you (general "you") let your self-worth be determined by whether or not you're in a relationship? Are you a complete person all on your own, rather than looking for that elusive "other half"?
Yeah, I hear that a lot....just take a break. Maybe I will.

As for the self worth, not so much by having someone in my life, but its more determined by my career, which for all intensive purposes is over thanks to the recession and poor past job choices. But not having someone certainly doesn't help. I just pretty much feel worthless most of the time since my divorce and career collapse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Lol, no -- I mean the kind of heteros*xual girl who has a very strong, innate sense of caring, gentleness, and compassion, that goes beyond the stereotypes, even to the point of overriding them entirely. The type of girl who is naturally very kind and nurturing and sensitive. They *are* out there; trust me, as I have personally known more than one...
That was a rhetorical question, Knight. But hey, good luck looking for a needle in a hay stack. hope she doesnt live in china or india, because those countries are very overpopulated.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,431,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I think anyone ready to stop dating should take a breather, because it sounds more like work (pain) than fun (pleasure).

I was never successful when I was actively trying to find someone. Several times in my life it happened at the moment I finally stopped searching, maybe because I was more relaxed and rather than focused/obsessed/anxious about it.

Do you (general "you") let your self-worth be determined by whether or not you're in a relationship? Are you a complete person all on your own, rather than looking for that elusive "other half"?

Going on an overseas vacation can also help. In two main ways for me 1) I'm more relaxed and open to meeting women when on vacation 2) You come home refreshed, which can also help.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 AM

835 posts, read 1,041,116 times
The fish don't care about the fisher. They care about the bait and line.

Maybe you are using the wrong bait. Approach them a different way.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
[/b]

If you're done, who cares? Apparently you're NOT done, so let me tell you one thing women don't like: Adamant declarations of defeatist requiescence, arms a-waving in frustration and resentment.
You've never been frustrated while dating I take it?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,896,145 times
The Dissenter,

You have to first love yourself and believe you have something to offer. I was reading your post and could feel the hurt feelings, rejection, down on yourself negative attitude that you give. First of all, you never know if the person checks their inbox regularly for the women you sent messages to. Second of all if they aren't interested in you then that's their loss. I also hope you are not only targeting the hottest chicks which may be on another page. Thirdly; I hope you are keeping your messages light and fun. Please don't be one of those men who sends emails talking about finding soul mates, wanting to be married, or who feels based on their profile that you want to get married and have 4 children with her? lol
It's a numbers game and if you feel that insecure about your looks then stick to meeting people face to face.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:07 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post

As for the self worth, not so much by having someone in my life, but its more determined by my career, which for all intensive purposes is over thanks to the recession and poor past job choices. But not having someone certainly doesn't help. I just pretty much feel worthless most of the time since my divorce and career collapse.
That makes me so sad to read that. I wish I could reach through the computer and give you a hug. I know that won't solve anything but it's hard to see someone struggling so much.

I don't know what your education/work background is, but could you move, change careers/industries, start over somewhere new?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post

You know, Im not sure that basing self worth on something external like a career is a smart choice. Your career can be impacted by so many different things that you have no control over, so youre really giving up your ability to keep your self worth in check. Throughout the years I figured out that its healthy to base things like self worth, on something internal - like your own opinion of yourself and your ability to meet your own standards - because you can always fully control that.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,955 times
I'm not a gal that would catch people's attention, but I don't expect that I would either. If you have expectations (whether it is yourself or others), then you'll likely to be disappointed. Don't have expectation, don't deal with disappointment.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM

480 posts, read 1,918,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Consider the last 24 hours the last straw for me and dating. I sent about 15 messages to women on a couple of dating sites. Not just hey how are you , but I read through their profiles and found a couple of things we could connect on, but that still isn't enough. Nearly all of them looked at my profile and read my message and not a single response.

I'm facing facts here. I'm not physically attractive. I'm not very interesting. I'm never going to have what a girl wants. I've got to accept it, dating and me are never going to mix.

(Alcohol and frustration are beginning to wear off)

Okay, just what the makes ladies respond to you when you ain't got much that they want?
Don't let it get you down. The problem is not that you're unattractive, it's that there is a 10-1 ratio of men to women on these sites. That means that they might look at your profile, but they probably aren't taking the time to LOOK at it in depth. They get HUNDREDS of messages a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships