Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 12:08 PM

457 posts, read 605,159 times

Advertisements

I really think what's important to note, setting aside the question of whether women care more about looks than men, is what ends up being the deciding factor for both. I'm pretty confident in saying that, for most men, personality is the deciding factor in terms of a relationship anyways. Since they find a large number of women attractive, having a great personality will be the icing on the cake, so to speak. Since many women won't even give a below average looking guy a chance, I purport that looks are likely to be a more important deciding factor than personality, especially since guys are told to be confident, and those who are faking it aren't showing their real personality. This could be a whole different topic, though.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:10 PM

457 posts, read 605,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Does average mean in the middle range of extremes of ugly & gorgeous or does it mean the most common body type?
If latter, then no. Most men are fat now. Not into that, won't lie. Obvious belly is a major turn-off for me.
If the former, then not a problem & that's probably all I've dated. I've tended to end up with slender men with no muscle tone, but no excess fat either. I was drawn to them immediately because of the vibe they gave off, not because of or in spite of their looks.
So, a serious question for you, what about a skinny guy? 5'11", 125 pounds, with some muscle. If you are automatically not attracted to him, it proves the OP's point, whether it's shallow or not.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:38 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well said. But as far as 20-somethings are concerned, by the way females treat me I don't feel 'sexy.' I guess because women aren't as pro-active/don't have as much of a consumptive sex drive. They're apparently more concerned with BEING sexy than chasing sexy. They compete among each other to be sexy, and compliment each other on how sexy they are. For men, this isn't tolerated because men are more about 'desiring' and lusting after another. Yet women can do that too. Not in an identical way, but they still can. If they can drool over a well-muscled man, you have to ask what about those muscles do they find sexy. Is it aesthetics, what he represents.etc? The same could be said of why men find certain traits sexy and how that has also been moulded by society.
I don't know any women at any age who compete to look sexy, or who even care. I don't know any women who drool over a well-muscled man. I'm not even sure what "well-muscled" means. Overly-muscled men are not attractive to most women. These are cliches. It's best to not use cliches to guide your choices in life.

Body type isn't an attractant to me. Personality, common interests and commonalities in background, brains and kindness, are. If I hit it off with someone on that level, I'm blind to their overweight state, or whatever qualities about their body may be considered by generally-accepted norms (if there is such a thing) to be undesirable.

Besides, people: what counts about men in the "hotness" dept. isn't how their body looks, but what they DO in bed, and how often they do it.

I'm also not convinced that most men find the "average" female body attractive. A lot of men are after big curves, while the average body is very modest in the curves dept. Guys pass over "average" female bodies all the time, and never give themselves the opportunity to find out those women have winning personalities. So this whole inquiry of the OP is based on false assumptions, imo.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:43 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm also not convinced that most men find the "average" female body attractive. A lot of men are after big curves, while the average body is very modest in the curves dept. Guys pass over "average" female bodies all the time, and never give themselves the opportunity to find out those women have winning personalities. So this whole inquiry of the OP is based on false assumptions, imo.
For me, guys looking at a variety of "average" women and thinking "yeah, I'd do her" is different than actually finding all those women attractive.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Besides, people: what counts about men in the "hotness" dept. isn't how their body looks, but what they DO in bed, and how often they do it.
Great point. Many women never give a guy a chance to prove what kind of lover he is. In order to get to that point, the man must have the right combination of looks / personality.

On the flip side, I've found that there is no correlation between how "hot" a woman's body looks, and how pleasurable sex is (or isn't) with her. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd take a woman who looks like a 5, and is a 9 in bed, over the opposite anytime. But if she's a shallow, self-absorbed basketcase, I don't want her at all, no matter what.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:07 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngroh View Post
So, a serious question for you, what about a skinny guy? 5'11", 125 pounds, with some muscle. If you are automatically not attracted to him, it proves the OP's point, whether it's shallow or not.
Pretty sure I briefly dated a guy like that, or close to it (around 6'0 and VERY skinny, no meat at all). 125 is close to what I weigh at 5'7.5 and I'm considered very thin for a woman. I wouldn't think a guy like that has any muscle, or fat either. Doesn't seem healthy, but wouldn't be an automatic turn-off.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:15 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,087 times
I'm not sure what the average male body is cause I've lived in a world of men who had to be extremely physically fit for their jobs. Looking outside of that world, how big is the stomach on the average male body?

Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 PM

663 posts, read 778,233 times
I think that because the average girl can sleep with a really attractive guy from a bar, she thinks her value is a 9, when she is really a 6.

I know plenty of attractive guys who lower their standards when having a one night stand. One of my friends, 6"5, 220 lbs muscle, blue eyes attractive, has slept with a borderline obese girl because that night, he was really ***ny and there wasn't anything else.

Thus, her standards are "inflated". Thus for marriage, she feels that she deserves the 9 still.

If you are brought up and only guys who are 4-5 hit on you, then you get accustomed to 4-5 which you become "attracted" to that.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
I think that because the average girl can sleep with a really attractive guy from a bar, she thinks her value is a 9, when she is really a 6.

I know plenty of attractive guys who lower their standards when having a one night stand. One of my friends, 6"5, 220 lbs muscle, blue eyes attractive, has slept with a borderline obese girl because that night, he was really ***ny and there wasn't anything else.

Thus, her standards are "inflated". Thus for marriage, she feels that she deserves the 9 still.

If you are brought up and only guys who are 4-5 hit on you, then you get accustomed to 4-5 which you become "attracted" to that.
How do you know what she feels she deserves for marriage? Are you a mind-reader? Did you ask her what she feels she deserves for marriage? Maybe she just figures she got lucky that one night. And to say that people become attracted to 4-5's just because those are the only ones attracted to them is absurd. Of course people tend to be attracted to good-looking people, in the absence of any other information about them (personality). People can also be attracted to quirky-looking people (no matter how good-looking they are themselves). Humans aren't as predictable on this score as people would like to think, there's infinite variety in taste out there.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:00 PM

31,052 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Would that apply to an overweight Frier Tuck, sweating away and out of breath on top of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.