Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 11:48 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Sorting through this thread:

1st thing, Tobey McGuire and Zooey Dechanel are NOT average looking. Are you seriously kidding me ? Anyone who makes comments like that are not someone I share the same view point with. Both people are established Hollywood actors, beating out literally MILLIONS of people who covet their job. Those two people are only in their respective fields because their looks got them their foot in the door. Anyone that doesn't agree with that is the extreme minority, and there is a reason why people have careers as casting directors and spend their entire lives searching for 'the right look' and talent.
Not all actors are hot and Tobey Maguire is not a Hollywood hunk. He's not unattractive but has non-spectacular boy next door looks (face and body) so he's average to me.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yes - and to be honest - I wouldn't date a really hot guy if he didn't have an awesome personality as well. And the guys that have really awesome personalities become hot to me.
Speaking for myself there's a limit. There are people will awesome personalities but they just ain't gonna cut it for me if they aren't at least somewhat attractive. That's just how it is. I like to think I have a somewhat broad range of appreciation for looks, but maybe I'm not as flexible or 'deep' as I thought. Then again, if I spent a lot of good times with them I could at least enjoy their company enough, or enjoy the sex or whatever that I could overlook that their faces or bodies aren't the most aesthetic.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Not all actors are hot and Tobey Maguire is not a Hollywood hunk. He's not unattractive but has non-spectacular boy next door looks (face and body) so he's average to me.
I agree with you, and think the poster you quoted was missing the point a bit. If Bradley Cooper worked in an office some people would probably refer to him as "the hot guy in accounting." If Tobey Maguire worked in an office, very few people would notice.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Still, Zooey and Tobey would definitely be seen as attractive. For men, a really handsome face can often make up for an average body, but their bodies might not be viewed as that sexy.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I agree with you, and think the poster you quoted was missing the point a bit. If Bradley Cooper worked in an office some people would probably refer to him as "the hot guy in accounting." If Tobey Maguire worked in an office, very few people would notice.
I'd think Tobey was kind of cute, but I wouldn't go crazy with lust at the mere sight of him. Heck, my non-celeb office crush is much hotter! lol

Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,716 times
Quote:
You are comparing Tobey MacGuire to other Hollywood actors. What about comparing Tobey Macguire to average NON-hollywood guys? I garauntee that you would say differently then.

When you compare Tobey Macguire to the rest of Hollyhood, you are comparing him to at most the top 0.01% percent of America. But if you compare Tobey to 150 MILLION men in America, his level of attractiveness is much higher.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
You are comparing Tobey MacGuire to other Hollywood actors. What about comparing Tobey Macguire to average NON-hollywood guys? I garauntee that you would say differently then.

When you compare Tobey Macguire to the rest of Hollyhood, you are comparing him to at most the top 0.01% percent of America. But if you compare Tobey to 150 MILLION men in America, his level of attractiveness is much higher.
It's true that Tobey is better looking than a lot of men out there, but I don't think it's that rare for a non-Hollywood man to be equal in attractiveness or better looking than Tobey.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:13 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,716 times
Quote:
It's true that Tobey is better looking than a lot of men out there, but I don't think it's that rare for a non-Hollywood man to be equal in attractiveness or better looking than Tobey.
I think this is interesting. If I combine your two previous posts, I conclude the following:
Although Tobey Macguire is attractive, is it possible that there are Non-Hollywood people in America that are more attractive than Tobey.
Also, when thinking about the average lookin guy, Tobey Macguire 'represents' the average looking American male. But, Tobey Macguire more resembles the average looking HOLLYWOOD male.
Could I then conclude that your perception of an average looking male more closely resembles the average looking Holywood male (ie: Tobey Macguire), vs. what an average American male represents?
To me, there is a big difference, as the average American male could NEVER represent the average Hollywood males, even though Tobey has no extreme height/weight/physically fit seperation from the typical average height/weight proportional American male.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,411 times
I'm very attracted to my sweetie's body/physique. He's not buff or lean anything but I just love his bone structure...prolly cause I just love him. hehehe

Old 02-26-2013, 01:27 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,154,350 times
Quote:

Someones got a man crush on Tobey. Dude, Tobey is very average looking at best. He made it in Hollywood because he never gave up and can act. He is by no means very good looking. And most of the actors in hollywood most people can give or take many of them. Yes sure, there are a handful of good looking people in hollywood, but most of them don't just make it because of their looks. Very few do. You have to have talent. Many good looking guys in hollywood eventually go back to where ever it is that they are from in time.The ones who have a better chance of making it are those who are originally from there. That way, even after giving up since they already live there it is real easy to go back to trying after the pain has died down. Everybody thinks that any good looking person can make it in hollywood. It's not that way, otherwise Brad Pitt would have made it way before seven years of auditions. A lot of it comes down to timing, perserverence, and a strong sense of self. It takes alot to be told no, no, no all the time. It really isn't for the weak minded. It's for those who have strong resilency. Brad Pitt was close to giving up his dream, until he took a friend to an audition. That's when someone spotted him for the role needed to be filled in Thelma and Louise. And the rest was history! But seven years it took him. Sometimes if you are too good looking it can hurt you. Casting directors are like, "no he/ she is too good looking." Sometimes it can make it harder. Sometimes they feel that the audience won't take them seriously. But again, Tobey is very average to say the least. I think even he knows that. Take that from somebody who used to live out in those circles. It takes more than good looks to make it. Then, even when you make it, there is a good chance of losing it. Many actors were big at one time only to have few job offers over the course of years. Hollywood is very fickle. You can get typecasted very easily.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 02-26-2013 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships