Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 01:34 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,960,716 times

Advertisements

Thanks superman, er, dude, but no, I have no man crush on Tobey.
My point is simple:
Some people think average looks are what is represented in Hollywood as average.
Hollywood average is not American average.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:38 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I think this is interesting. If I combine your two previous posts, I conclude the following:
Although Tobey Macguire is attractive, is it possible that there are Non-Hollywood people in America that are more attractive than Tobey.
Also, when thinking about the average lookin guy, Tobey Macguire 'represents' the average looking American male. But, Tobey Macguire more resembles the average looking HOLLYWOOD male.
Could I then conclude that your perception of an average looking male more closely resembles the average looking Holywood male (ie: Tobey Macguire), vs. what an average American male represents?
To me, there is a big difference, as the average American male could NEVER represent the average Hollywood males, even though Tobey has no extreme height/weight/physically fit seperation from the typical average height/weight proportional American male.
I think it's an issue of how we're defining "average." For instance, if a large number of Americans are somewhat overweight, one might say that the "average" American is somewhat overweight. Without specifically comparing Tobey to anyone else, I made a quick mental determination on whether I found him unattractive (no), decent looking (yes), gorgeous (no), so I described him as average since he falls in the middle for me. Does Tobey actually look better than a lot of men out there? Yes, but I still wouldn't consider him super attractive. Your average American male might actually look more like John Goodman but that wasn't really my point. However, I do see yours: since Tobey is better looking than many other men, he would fall into the "above average" category regardless of whether I personally find him hot or not. Therefore, lots of men who I consider "below average" are actually better representations of "average" than Tobey.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:12 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Thanks superman, er, dude, but no, I have no man crush on Tobey.
My point is simple:
Some people think average looks are what is represented in Hollywood as average.
Hollywood average is not American average.

I agree with the bolded, but I also agree that Tobey Maguire, specifically, is a very average male, Hollywood or not. If you passed him on the street, you probably wouldn't even notice him, let alone think he had anything to do with Hollywood. Tobey Maguire - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I think he's actually quite a reasonable example of average male.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,103,926 times
Quote:
I think this is interesting. If I combine your two previous posts, I conclude the following:
Although Tobey Macguire is attractive, is it possible that there are Non-Hollywood people in America that are more attractive than Tobey.
Also, when thinking about the average lookin guy, Tobey Macguire 'represents' the average looking American male. But, Tobey Macguire more resembles the average looking HOLLYWOOD male.
Could I then conclude that your perception of an average looking male more closely resembles the average looking Holywood male (ie: Tobey Macguire), vs. what an average American male represents?
To me, there is a big difference, as the average American male could NEVER represent the average Hollywood males, even though Tobey has no extreme height/weight/physically fit seperation from the typical average height/weight proportional American male.
I think the point is and i agree that women are attracted to and find a much smaller group of the opposite sex attractive then vice versa..

So when some women says looks dont matter as much to women what shes really saying is personality is the only thing that can make an average looking women become attracted to an average looking man near her attractiveness level because she wont be that attracted at first sight..

Old 02-27-2013, 02:18 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,103,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I agree with the bolded, but I also agree that Tobey Maguire, specifically, is a very average male, Hollywood or not. If you passed him on the street, you probably wouldn't even notice him, let alone think he had anything to do with Hollywood. Tobey Maguire - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I think he's actually quite a reasonable example of average male.
I agree im not a connosieur of mens looks but id think while some women would think hes kinda cute he wouldnt turn heads either..

Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I think it's an issue of how we're defining "average." For instance, if a large number of Americans are somewhat overweight, one might say that the "average" American is somewhat overweight. Without specifically comparing Tobey to anyone else, I made a quick mental determination on whether I found him unattractive (no), decent looking (yes), gorgeous (no), so I described him as average since he falls in the middle for me. Does Tobey actually look better than a lot of men out there? Yes, but I still wouldn't consider him super attractive. Your average American male might actually look more like John Goodman but that wasn't really my point. However, I do see yours: since Tobey is better looking than many other men, he would fall into the "above average" category regardless of whether I personally find him hot or not. Therefore, lots of men who I consider "below average" are actually better representations of "average" than Tobey.
Spot on. So many polls and questions based on "average" looks or "average" weight. If you aren't going to provide parameters for what "average" you are referring to, then I am going to use mine. Which means exactly what SLS stated above. MY "average looking guy" is going to be average in looks, based on what I find attractive.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times
Did anyone see that study done by Okcupid where their statistics showed the women on their site found 80% of the men there unattractive?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Did anyone see that study done by Okcupid where their statsitics showed the women on their site found 80% of the men there unattractive?
Yes, but the study also showed that women messaged average/above average/below average guys about the same, but while men rated women evenly across the board, nearly ALL of their messages went to the top women and they largely ignored the average to below average ones.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,102,365 times
I wanted to add on to this thread as a man. The premise indicated that most men were attracted to the average female body. I think my views on beauty are within the mainstream, and I wouldn't say that I'm attracted to the "average" female body -- today. That's because the "average" has moved significantly. I would be attracted to most women in the 18 to 40 range with a BMI that is not over weight. However, overweight has become the norm. I was lucky enough to marry a woman who works hard to keep herself looking beautiful. She always looks great to me, but I appreciate the extra effort anyway.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM

855 posts, read 1,385,051 times
I think the question is how do you define the average male body? I think 90%+ women favour a man that is close to mesomorphic in structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships