Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times

Advertisements

Different folks for each of us. I may be attracted to one guy and say dew thinks he is nasty. In the same sense I may find the men she finds gorgeous odd looking.

People are attracted to different things.

Do women give the averge man a chance? Ah yeah.
Do men? Yep

I'm average. I hope they would give me a chance.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My point is that only a certain body type is considered sexy for men.

While it's true a certain ideal is held up for females, there are women who range from curvy to pretty slim who are considered sexy, and many men as a whole seem to have broader tastes and appreciate the female body INNATELY, for it's innate value, not what it can do for him...okay, maybe what it can do for him in terms of sexual pleasure too haha.

If some women find skinny guys sexy, you certainly wouldn't know it from the media.

I guess you could say the same about chubbier girls, so it does even out a bit.
I beg to differ with you on this.

I think it's pretty obvious that women find a wide range of men attractive because I see countless examples in the media and in the "real" world of women going for all sorts of guys. You see women swoon over the typical ripped hunk but you also seen them go crazy over the skinny hipster who wears tighter pants than they do. You also see many go for the big fat biker type.

If anything, women are attracted to an "image" more so than a body type and I think they are much more rigid in that respect than men are. Almost any guy would date an attractive women whether she's hipster, hip hop, high society etc. You can dress up the same attractive guy in any of those get ups and women are likely to say "not my type" to at least some of them.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
This is true for me, but I'm mostly driven by the face and not the body. I don't find chubby/overweight guys attractive, but I don't like their faces either. I don't mind an average or thinner body if I like the face, but I don't find the male body alone to be particularly arousing.
This is what I'm getting at. If women can go weak for certain buff guys, it seems the average bod doesn't little for them, whereas men can get just as aroused by fairly average bodies.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,108 times
Spin it any way you want, physical appearance in nowhere near the top of the things that women find most important in their selected mates. Without a doubt, if a woman can choose between two identical guys, one of which is very handsome and the other below average, she will choose the handsome guy, but there are so many more traits that are substantialy more important to the way attract women, that it really doesnt deserve much consideration. A confident, assertive and aggressive man with great personality, does not need looks in order to have his pick of the litter. Physical appearance is the most important trait when you flip the genders. Men and women are very different, and we need want vastly different things from each other. /end thread.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I think men are innately attracted to women...even most gay men, I think have some attraction to women. I think, just about everybody is attracted to women in some form or fashion, because we are all females before development occurs and I think this predisposes us to all to have an attraction to females, women included. However I dont think women are truly attracted to everyday men at all. I think they are attracted to what their idea of A man represents: which is security, power, reassurance, an alternative to fragility, the unthinking etc. - things she may choose to be at times, but doesnt really have to be, in the eyes of society.
How does that work? We're all pre-disposed to be attracted to ourselves? lol

Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Spin it any way you want, physical appearance in nowhere near the top of the things that women find most important in their selected mates. Without a doubt, if a woman can choose between two identical guys, one of which is very handsome and the other below average, she will choose the handsome guy, but there are so many more traits that are substantialy more important to the way attract women, that it really doesnt deserve much consideration. A confident, assertive and aggressive man with great personality, does not need looks in order to have his pick of the litter. Physical appearance is the most important trait when you flip the genders. Men and women are very different, and we need want vastly different things from each other. /end thread.
I don't buy it for a moment. Not to long ago (and I can't seem to find the old thread), it was titled "Ladies, would you date a ballet dancer?" I found the thread interesting in that even at 3 pages deep, not one single women replied that it would depend on his personality or any non-physical trait. Virtually all the replies alluded to the premise that being a ballet dancer , he must be good looking and have a great body. You see, they trip themselves up sometimes.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
The average adult body, particularly 35+ is in a pretty poor state physically and health wise. In the Western world, sad but true. I'd say less than 10% of the women, would grab my attention physically.
Yeah that's true, when people talk about women being innately superior in terms of their bodies they're thinking hot models. BUT it seems that these women are just average or slim looking ladies. The curvy look actually isn't that popular among many. Just be slim and you'll be called sexy by both men and women. It's weird. And what is up with supposedly straight women saying they prefer looking at women??

Yeah maybe there's not as much pressure on men, yet ironically women seem to idealise a specific type of body so maybe there is after all.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I don't buy it for a moment. Not to long ago (and I can't seem to find the old thread), it was titled "Ladies, would you date a ballet dancer?" I found the thread interesting in that even at 3 pages deep, not one single women replied that it would depend on his personality or any non-physical trait. Virtually all the replies alluded to the premise that being a ballet dancer , he must be good looking and have a great body. You see, they trip themselves up sometimes.
I agree. Physical traits are equally important in BOTH, yet pop psychologists have put it into our heads that women don't care about looks just personality and all that CRAP.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:16 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
You mean my thread?
Ladies: Would you date a male ballet dancer?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:19 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree. Physical traits are equally important in BOTH, yet pop psychologists have put it into our heads that women don't care about looks just personality and all that CRAP.
I don't think anyone says that women don't care about looks at all. Personally, personality is much more important to me and if someone has an amazing personality that is compatible with me - I'll probably find him attractive. But I don't really understand why any of this matters anyway. People are attracted to who they are attracted to - with varying degrees of initial looks and personality. Does it really matter what "women" like? It really only depends what ONE woman wants. And since we all want something different and looks matter to us all in varying degrees - I don't see a point in getting your panties in a bunch because we can appreciate a nice physique or that we don't appreciate everyone's physique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships