Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:18 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,631,269 times

Advertisements

Very interesting how different the genders are, we hear women complaining left and right about men catcalling and making lewd comments to them, yet most men or at least a large percentage of them would be thrilled to be the subject of those lewd comments by women. Our society is full of double standards, it is weird and surprising that relationships even exist anymore. Women wish men were more like women and men wish women were more like men. Perhaps women in general should write men off completely and just date their own gender since that seems to be the new trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:21 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Some of this is cultural. Approaching women is more common in some places where it's normal and accepted then in others where people are, and always have been, more reserved. You're much more likely to be approached in Puerto Rico then in Seattle.
DING DING DING DING DING! This view doesn't seem to go over very well here, for some reason, but culture is a huge factor. There are two things working against guys in Anglo culture: an overwhelming fear of rejection for some, and the odd habit some have of assuming that the really attractive women are taken.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Very interesting how different the genders are, we hear women complaining left and right about men catcalling and making lewd comments to them, yet most men or at least a large percentage of them would be thrilled to be the subject of those lewd comments by women. Our society is full of double standards, it is weird and surprising that relationships even exist anymore. Women wish men were more like women and men wish women were more like men. Perhaps women in general should write men off completely and just date their own gender since that seems to be the new trend.
Who said that? I love men. I love manly men. I don't want men to be like me. And as for the catcalling and lewd comments - if you had them hurled at you all the time and if you were often made to feel unsafe - I doubt you would like it either. And for the record - it's a small but loud minority of men who do this. I don't mind the smiles, the compliments, etc. - but I do mind feeling unsafe.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
A lot of guys would be really put off by women making lewd comments toward them. I don't know who the guys you describe are.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:27 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,354,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRites View Post
The overwhelming majority of men I know who are in relationships kind of stumbled into it. None of these guys are the type to be dating various women while being single - more like they were single for huge periods of time until they were lucky enough to find a girl through friends or work or something who liked them. I know very very very few men who can be single and have no problem dating multiple women. My best friend is an example of this - good looking smart young dude from a rich family who is a fantastic guy...he was damn near permanently single for 3 or 4 years until he stumbled onto his current girlfriend. I know guys at my gym who are extremely good looking and extremely kind/friendly who I've never seen with a girl in years and years that I've known them

Why is it so incredibly difficult for most men to be successful with women? I don't even believe all the crap on the net posted about looks, status, personality, confidence or income...I know plenty guys with most or even all those traits who have very little dating success. I'm completely baffled by what it takes to do well in dating

I mean obviously the opposite of that is not true... Most of these girls that my friends are dating would have 50 guys ready to date them the second they would break up with their current boyfriends so why does this imbalance exist?

Are there a larger number of men who find dating to be manageable and I'm just not finding them?
The amount of effort you put into it matters. Hard work pays off.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:29 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A lot of guys would be really put off by women making lewd comments toward them. I don't know who the guys you describe are.
I think the guys who are imagining being thrilled by lewd comments are imagining the comments being made by only young, hot women. Not women who'd they'd never be into in a million years--the horror!

Old 07-20-2013, 10:31 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think the guys who are imagining being thrilled by lewd comments are imagining the comments being made by only young, hot women. Not women who'd they'd never be into in a million years--the horror!
You're probably right! They probably picture walking past a group of bikini models all whistling at them and grabbing their boobs!

Old 07-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
women are usually asked out by tons of men.
Wrong. Most women rarely get asked out. Only the 9's and 10's are as you describe. About 50% of women (the 1's through 5's) are invisible to men altogether. The 6's and 7's might get approached a few times a year, if that. Some of the guys here are in need of a massive reality check.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,130,647 times
You people need to get out more.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:40 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You're probably right! They probably picture walking past a group of bikini models all whistling at them and grabbing their boobs!
Certainly not some woman who looks like a toothless, frumpy Kathy Bates looking him up and down and licking her lips, standing too close. I bet they'd looove that.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-20-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships