Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:59 PM

377 posts, read 620,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Nah, women that are realistic know what they can achieve same for men.
Obviously such women are in the clear minority.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
2/3 of male messages go to the top 1/3 of women.
So, while women may view 80% of men as average to unattractive, it seems they are FAR more likely to message, talk to and date them.

Men, on the other hand, may view more women as 'average to attractive', but they ignore them and focus only on the hot ones.

So really, what does it matter if a higher percentage of men think more women are attractive if they aren't sending messages to them and are ignoring them?

Quote:
As you can see from the gray line, women rate an incredible 80% of guys as worse-looking than medium. Very harsh. On the other hand, when it comes to actual messaging, women shift their expectations only just slightly ahead of the curve, which is a healthier pattern than guys’ pursuing the all-but-unattainable.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Obviously such women are in the clear minority.
They are out there.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:10 PM

377 posts, read 620,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So, while women may view 80% of men as average to unattractive, it seems they are FAR more likely to message, talk to and date them.
No, this is simply wrong. Women will absolutely not date someone they don't find attractive for the most part. It is much more likely than not that those women messaging the men they found to be unattractive were looking for something platonic, such as a friendship. There many women on these sites who want such relationships.

Quote:
Men, on the other hand, may view more women as 'average to attractive', but they ignore them and focus only on the hot ones.
The more attractive women were getting more messages sure, but that does not at all mean that average or less attractive women weren't getting messages at all. In fact, most women regardless of their relative attractiveness are flooded with messages on just about every online dating website, while even good looking men can go weeks without receiving messages. In the real world, where rejection is a lot more humiliating, most men approach the plain and homely women a lot more than they approach the attractive ones.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:17 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,475 times
Certainly, physical attractive can and often does vary from individual to individual. A guy who is a complete stud to one person, can be an ugly duckling to another. Even good-looking people have days and moments at which they look significantly less than their absolute best. I find that physical attractive preferences tend to be more varied and mixed among women, than with men.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
No, this is simply wrong. Women will absolutely not date someone they don't find attractive for the most part. It is much more likely than not that those women messaging the men they found to be unattractive were looking for something platonic, such as a friendship. There many women on these sites who want such relationships.
And men will? MOST people won't date someone they don't find attractive. Do you actively seek out people to date seriously who you are not at all attracted to? With the man I'm currently with, I didn't find him attractive per his pictures but he was very charming and I really loved our message banter through the online dating site. I'm glad I did end up going out with him because he's pretty awesome. My story is not unique either.

Quote:

The more attractive women were getting more messages sure, but that does not at all mean that average or less attractive women weren't getting messages at all. In fact, most women regardless of their relative attractiveness are flooded with messages on just about every online dating website, while even good looking men can go weeks without receiving messages. In the real world, where rejection is a lot more humiliating, most men approach the plain and homely women a lot more than they approach the attractive ones.
Of course it doesn't, but the MAJORITY of men's messages were going to the most attractive women period. The graphs and information is right there. What good does it do me if more men find more women attractive if I'm still not getting any dates? When I did online dating I rarely received messages and it was nowhere near being in the hundreds. Also, those messages were very very rarely anything I would respond to. About 90% of the messages I received were 'hey baby, wuts up' or 'hey sexy wut r u doin 2nite?'. Not exactly conducive to starting a good, long term, respectful relationship. So yeah, many women DO receive more messages, but from my experience (and many other women's) the vast majority of messages aren't worth replying to.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:

So really, what does it matter if a higher percentage of men think more women are attractive if they aren't sending messages to them and are ignoring them?

I've never been on an online dating site but everything I've read suggests that men message pretty much the top 80% of women and ignore only about the bottom 20% - and women are ignoring the majority of men. Of course, on the internet I don't know quite what to believe.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:22 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
Quote:
Your looks and your inbox.

This is very...interesting. I always was under the assumption the 80/20 rule was anecdotal in nature even if it did make sense, that it could never be determined statistically/numerically. Well here's some actual hard data. According to this, women for the most part are repulsed by the average joe and believe an above average or decent looking man to be unattractive/undesirable. The main rub is that it isn't just attractive women who have these standards, but plain and clearly ugly women on that site also have similar standards despite their relative attractiveness.

Not that there is anything wrong with this, of course, but it would help if women were a lot more honest about it like they were in this survey when given anonymity. It's not about things like "personality" or "confidence", it really is all about looks. Take height, for example. There are countless women out there (more than the majority) who require a potential significant other to be at least 6 ft tall. What they don't realize is that only 13% of men are 6 ft and taller. Hence, it should come as no surprise why so many men fail in the dating world and end up as 40 year old virgins. Most women are simply repulsed by them.
If women only find 20% of men attractive, that means there are a whole lot of women out there who are settling on boyfriends and husbands.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:24 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
If a woman is just plan stupid but was hot it would get old I need something more then warm place to put my anatomy in.

If she can hold her or in a conversation or challenge me or even call me on my BS it will get boring fast.

Also if she hates working and yes we all do but if she cant keep a job or hold one down for what ever reason it a red flag. Like she get fired from every job and stuff.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've never been on an online dating site but everything I've read suggests that men message pretty much the top 80% of women and ignore only about the bottom 20% - and women are ignoring the majority of men.
Well, I did online dating for 4 years and have known many people who have also done it. The men pursue the top women for something long term, but message the uglier women for hook ups. So sure it makes it seem like they're getting more messages, but when 90% of them are 'hey sexy lets hook up' or 'hey baby, wut r u up 2 2nite ' it doesn't exactly add up to a pleasant experience. I'd rather be completely ignored than get messages like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships