Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What age range do you belong to and are you in a relationship?
Late 20s and not in a relationship 14 34.15%
Early 30s and not in a relationship 4 9.76%
Mid 30s and not in a relationship 5 12.20%
Late 30s and not in a relationship 4 9.76%
Early 40s and not in a relationship 14 34.15%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 02:09 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,626,245 times

Advertisements

Any woman that says she doesn't need love is completely disillusioned. Everybody deserves love. Humans were not meant to grow old alone. We were meant to be in relationship.

So sick of hearing single ladies in their 30's and 40's say that they are completely fine being alone. I think that is just a cover up for deeper issues.

Every woman wants and deserves to be loved. Ladies...please be honest with yourselves.

Careers, $$$, travel....NONE of that will ever be able to replace the feeling of being loved BY THE RIGHT MAN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 02:47 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,383,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
So sick of hearing single ladies in their 30's and 40's say that they are completely fine being alone. I think that is just a cover up for deeper issues. Every woman wants and deserves to be loved. Ladies...please be honest with yourselves.
Hey, complete and total honesty here. I don't want to grow old alone. I can and will appreciate the love of a good man more than I ever will the temporary things in my life (career, travel, money, etc.).

But, as I've mentioned in other posts, women are scorned/looked down upon for admitting that they want this. I mean, how DARE we expect a lifetime commitment? Don't we realize how unutterably passe that is in the 21st century? We're supposed to "put out" like sex is some sort of after-dinner mint and be grateful that a man is interested enough in us to deem us worthy of a roll in the sack, and just "get over it" when the nice guys don't call back, because, hey, we're strong and independent, and we don't really need the L-word.

Yeah, I call b.s. too.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:51 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,595,514 times
Going to mid 40's and been single for a long time. Perfectly happy and not looking.

I was married in my mid 20's to late 30's. Had a wonderful marriage. Very happy. He died at age 36 of Pancreatitis. At first I thought I needed to be in another relationship to be happy. Then I learned to be self sufficient. I discovered the freedom that being a single woman brings. Now I really don't want to be with another person romantically. I suppose it could happen but I am just not looking and not interested.

Yes we do all need love and we all need other people and relationships and companionship. Even introverts like me. I get that from my friends. I have wonderful close loving friends. Most of them are married to one another. I love being with them. But I don't want to be like them. And I am far from alone.

Now I want to be clear. I don't hate men. I am quite certain I am straight. I really enjoy my male friends. I just don't want to sleep with them. And I definitely don't want them living in my house.

I like my freedom to go and do whatever I want to do whenever I want to do it. The only thing I don't have in life is sex and to be honest. Don't really see it as a huge need. One of the up sides of being single and female. Not such an easy thing for a guy I guess. Men have a much harder time not thinking about it. I suppose if I really did need sex I could find someone to oblige. But really? Not worth the drama.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:03 PM

112 posts, read 118,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Hey, complete and total honesty here. I don't want to grow old alone. I can and will appreciate the love of a good man more than I ever will the temporary things in my life (career, travel, money, etc.).

But, as I've mentioned in other posts, women are scorned/looked down upon for admitting that they want this. I mean, how DARE we expect a lifetime commitment? Don't we realize how unutterably passe that is in the 21st century? We're supposed to "put out" like sex is some sort of after-dinner mint and be grateful that a man is interested enough in us to deem us worthy of a roll in the sack, and just "get over it" when the nice guys don't call back, because, hey, we're strong and independent, and we don't really need the L-word.

Yeah, I call b.s. too.
You can thank feminism for the bolded. How does liberation feel?

{Pardon my schadenfreude.}

Old 12-27-2013, 03:06 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,291,915 times
Quote:

Yeah, I call b.s. too.
One thing I held on for a number of years was my singledom and my ability to do whatever I wanted to do. At that time I had a good number of single friends that wanted to go out, have group get togethers, go out of town, and so on. As time went on, I started to notice slowly but surely my friends were breaking off and getting seriously committed to relationships. Where I found myself was in a state of being alone. It's not the alone type where I'll settle for anyone in a relationship, but just that alone feeling of I have no one to call to do things at the drop of a hat. They are all doing the drop of the hat plans with their SO's. That's what hit me like a ton of bricks this year. I was hanging on to the idea that I would always have people to hang out with and hit the town with. Once I noticed they were gone I started to do a very hard reflection on my own life. What does a 30 year old look like going to the bar every weekend? A bar fly. Do I really enjoy going to the bar every weekend? Not really. It was something I became too accustomed to, so I kept at it. In the end, when I started to reflect, I realized just how little I enjoyed doing it every weekend.

For the people that love being single, I say more power to you and enjoy it for me. If I could meet just the right person for me, I wouldn't give singledom a second look. I've had plenty of experience of what it is, and by sheer luck and hardwork, I'm hoping to avoid it as a forever clause. I really do enjoy being in a relationship and I think I'll enjoy it most the next time around.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:11 PM

769 posts, read 978,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
For the people that love being single, I say more power to you and enjoy it for me. If I could meet just the right person for me, I wouldn't give singledom a second look. I've had plenty of experience of what it is, and by sheer luck and hardwork, I'm hoping to avoid it as a forever clause. I really do enjoy being in a relationship and I think I'll enjoy it most the next time around.
I am in same boat but I don't want to settle for just anyone. I really got hurt by the guy in the last relationship and really need this dating diet.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:12 PM

17,645 posts, read 22,680,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post
My exhubby did the same type of stuff. I have asthma and am very suspitble to pneumonia and bronchitis. We had spent Cmas with his father where the smoking was high. Well..that is a bad trigger and he refused to do a hotel room thing. Long story short we got home and I told him..I am really sick I need to go to er. The man sat on the couch and said take yourself... I was at the ER for 5 hours and he had the nerve to ask me when I got back what took me so long. Um..5 hours of treatment jerk. I was out of work for another week and he was not helpful at all. Yea that is when I knew we were done.

OH and I married a douche..it is not every man that is like that.
Your much better off without that s*** which stuck to your boot, so called husband.........

Old 12-27-2013, 03:16 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,381,345 times
Quote:

Yeah, I call b.s. too.
Right on.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:47 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,291,915 times
Does anyone else notice who are the people that are hesitant to get married or in a relationship again? It's the people who have been married and divorced or widowed. These people still experienced love, even though it was short lived. They experienced what it was like to feel like this person will be with you forever and support you. When it doesn't work out and you reappear on the other side, you tend to keep a death grip on how it felt to get to the other side. The alone feeling, the betrayal, the pain, the hurt, the no support system, and so on. To make it to the other side in one piece is a big victory for people who were struck by the divorce bug and didn't want it. By want it, I mean their partner just gave up and didn't want to help in keeping the marriage healthy.

For these people, I can absolutely understand why it's hard to want to get married again or even get back into a serious relationship. You never really forget how that feeling of betrayal felt, and after a while you do just get used to taking care of yourself and doing your own thing. For people like me, who haven't experienced any of that, I find it hard to get a woman who has felt that pain to let her guard down and be comfortable with me. They are good about saying it, but they aren't good about showing it. It's easier to be walled up and secure in themselves than tear down the walls to take the chance that someone else will hurt them again.

It's the problem with our generation and slowly starting with our parents generation. It's just too easy to not want to stay together anymore. I'm not saying you should stay in a miserable marriage, but it's so hard to find two people who want to put forth the effort in a marriage. It seems to be too easy to ditch them and go find someone better. I know a few people this year who divorced their husband over something that seemed trivial, all because they had had a couple of girls nights and had some guys hitting on them. Guess what those women are doing now? Wishing they hadn't left their marriage, because all those guys hitting on them just wanted to pump and dump them. It's really sad to see this happening, but hindsight is 20/20 my friends. I'm guilty of it too and I've been taking my whips all year long.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:53 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,383,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBannedStand View Post
You can thank feminism for the bolded. How does liberation feel?

{Pardon my schadenfreude.}
Hey, I was never a part of that type of "feminism". I believe in equal pay for equal work. I believe that women should consider nontraditional career opportunities, if that's what floats their boat. But to my mind, a certain generation carried feminism way too far and drew a direct association between "no-strings-attached sex" and so-called "women's liberation" where none exists. The thing that p*sses me off is that all women have to live with this now. A lot of us didn't ask for this. We never wanted it. We got totally screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships