Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 AM

757 posts, read 1,103,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
But you're not... and this thread even shows you're not.
Well I don't have time to read over 150 post
I'm simply talking based on observation and perspective.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:56 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Yet you jumped right in claiming there's a double standard in a situation where there isn't.

Considering your response your observations and perspective seem quite doubtful. Your talking seemed more of you making an applicable claim not stating your opinion. You stated there is a double standard not that you've observed this or this is your opinion.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:05 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
That's obvious. yet you have time to opine.
Quote:
Yet you jumped right in claiming there's a double standard in a situation where there isn't.

Considering your response your observations and perspective seem quite doubtful. Your talking seemed more of you making an applicable claim not stating your opinion. You stated there is a double standard not that you've observed this or this is your opinion.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Well, i'm sorry I made it SEEM that way, but my claim was shaped by my perspective and what I've observed in the past. I just simply believe that women 9/10 times get away with this stuff. Do you know how many women I've known who decided to go on "breaks" just so they can give something else a try? And then try to justify it by saying they were "confused" or didn't feel loved? You'd be surprised. However, if a man were to do the same exact thing, he would be labeled a dog and unfaithful.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
Quote:
Well, i'm sorry I made it SEEM that way, but my claim was shaped by my perspective and what I've observed in the past. I just simply believe that women 9/10 times get away with this stuff. Do you know how many women I've known who decided to go on "breaks" just so they can give something else a try? And then try to justify it by saying they were "confused" or didn't feel loved? You'd be surprised. However, if a man were to do the same exact thing, he would be labeled a dog and unfaithful.
Take 15 minutes and read the thread before you continue your ignorance.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Probably suited for you to state it's your opinion/perspective/observation rather than make a declarative statement like "There is a double standard in society".

You keep stating 'if a man' not 'when a man' and 'would be labeled' not 'does get labeled' so are you guessing that a guy would be labeled a dog and unfaithful or does it happen and to the same amount that gals 9/10 times 'get away with this'?

Though in my opinion there's nothing for the gals to get away with since they were on breaks which were seemingly defined to allow sleeping with others since that was their goal.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 552,187 times
It seems like until now, the vast majority of people consider a break not a cessation of the relationship, but a temporary stop to it, especially if said break is supposed to last "a couple of weeks" as it's often said. Most people would assume that the partners taking a short break are still expected to be faithful to each other, given that being faithful to each other was a feature of their relationship when it was going normally. The possibility of sleeping with other people during the short break would need to be explicitely asked for, imho.

But there are competing norms rising among some sectors of the (younger) population.
It seems that a small but probably growing cohort of people think that taking a short break means that you become single again.

I've even encountered the opinion that faithfulness in the context of a long term relationship shouldn't even be assumed unless it had been specifically discussed and accepted by the partners.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
It seems like until now, the vast majority of people consider a break not a cessation of the relationship, but a temporary stop to it, especially if said break is supposed to last "a couple of weeks" as it's often said. Most people would assume that the partners taking a short break are still expected to be faithful to each other, given that being faithful to each other was a feature of their relationship when it was going normally. The possibility of sleeping with other people during the short break would need to be explicitely asked for, imho.

But there are competing norms rising among some sectors of the (younger) population.
It seems that a small but probably growing cohort of people think that taking a short break means that you become single again.

I've even encountered the opinion that faithfulness in the context of a long term relationship shouldn't even be assumed unless it had been specifically discussed and accepted by the partners.
I don't really get that assumption of fidelity considering the relationship isn't going normally as it's been put on a temporary stop/hold.

However you've basically expanded what I've been saying that this seemingly isn't a double standard in society of gender but differing opinions on what a break is.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Probably suited for you to state it's your opinion/perspective/observation rather than make a declarative statement like "There is a double standard in society".

You keep stating 'if a man' not 'when a man' and 'would be labeled' not 'does get labeled' so are you guessing that a guy would be labeled a dog and unfaithful or does it happen and to the same amount that gals 9/10 times 'get away with this'?

Though in my opinion there's nothing for the gals to get away with since they were on breaks which were seemingly defined to allow sleeping with others since that was their goal.
Girl: I want a break
Boy: Aww, but I thought we were fine, I love you
Girl: I just need time to think...
*girl goes and has sex with 5 guys*
Girl: Babe, I'm ready to get back together, I missed you
Boy: Yay! I missed you too

Yes, that seem complete ok to me... smh

Old 02-02-2014, 09:33 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,268 times
Either you're together or you're not. This break stuff is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships