Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:29 AM

212 posts, read 1,003,860 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, just wanted to vent and maybe get some insight.

I am 30 years old and am currently living with my 32 year old boyfriend of 7 years. We've lived together for 5 years. Things are going great - we rarely argue, we laugh a lot, we travel together and have fun. He's my best friend. When we moved in together, I knew I wanted to spend my life with him. We talked about marriage then but both agreed it was not a priority and we should get settled into our careers first.

Now we are both doing well in our careers and I feel ready to take the next step. However, a few weeks ago I brought up marriage again and he said "I'm just not ready yet." I acted like it wasn't a big deal, but honestly, I'm really hurt. We've been together for so long and have done so much, why wouldn't he be ready?

It doesn't help that all of our friends are getting married, most of whom are younger than me and have been with their SOs for less time than I have. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them and I'm not treating marriage like a competition. But I wonder why my friend's boyfriends are able to make the commitment and mine isn't. I feel like there's something wrong with me.

I definitely don't want to pressure him into marriage, so I've been laying off the subject. But (I hate to admit this) I feel a little depressed. It's odd, when I was younger I didn't see what the big deal was when it came to marriage, but now I have a great man I want to call my husband. Hopefully, I don't turn into a desperate old woman.

Anyway, does anyone maybe have a guess as to why my boyfriend is dragging his feet? Maybe you have a story of your own to share?

Old 06-01-2014, 01:03 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Maybe you should suggest living separately and see what happens. Not in a threatening way, just in a "this is boring and we need a change" way. In a "my life changing and you aren't" way. Let him know you are questioning your future with him. And mean it. If you are in a routine he is comfortable (and possibly keeping his options open) with you need to shake it up. I know it's scary because you think you could loose him, but you know you don't have him anyway if that happens.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:04 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Ask him why he isn't ready...

Why did the conversation end where it did? You should be expressing yourself so he knows you are hurt and feel rejected, not harboring it

Old 06-01-2014, 03:09 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
He's not sure you're the one he wants to spend the rest of his life with.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:45 AM

111 posts, read 125,175 times
Honestly I think you're hearing the clock ticking which is fine. He's not though, so if you really are concerned about marriage then you may need to consider quitting him now. At 30 you still have a fair bit of time before having kids becomes an issue if you would like them. Remember your view on marriage has changed and he isn't aware that the ground rules of the relationship have REALLY changed.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:49 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
Anyway, does anyone maybe have a guess as to why my boyfriend is dragging his feet?
Quote:
We've lived together for 5 years.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:56 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
If it were me I would ask him why he does not feel ready. I would also tell him how you felt sad and that you feel something is wrong with you. In general do you both have good communication? I ask because of you not expressing how hurt and upset you feel.
It has been 7 years so it is a valid question on your part. Wouldn't you rather know if he even plans on getting married. Do you talk about having kids?

Old 06-01-2014, 04:48 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Maybe it doesn't matter why he's not ready. He just isn't, so you need to decide what you want to do next with your life.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:14 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I know those types. They have comfortable "married life" at home, without the paper. So, why change it and get married? (commitment, responsibilities, consequences, etc ?)
Move out and see what happen...
The bad news is that there's nothing you can do to speed up the process.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love...ce/seal-deal-3

Last edited by elnina; 06-01-2014 at 05:29 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Anyway, does anyone maybe have a guess as to why my boyfriend is dragging his feet? Maybe you have a story of your own to share?
He's dragging his feet because he doesn't want to get married ever.

What would be his incentive to marry? He's already getting everything he wants. Marriage brings him no clear benefits, yet would impose heavy legal obligations. The only reason he won't say this is because you would probably leave if he did. But a man in this 30's who has been with a woman 7 years and says he "isn't ready" is a man who just doesn't want to marry, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships