Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 01:46 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times

Advertisements

The data's not really telling us anything we don't already know (unless people are seriously still trying to dispute it); that outside of the particularly young and particularly old (for marriage, anyway), women want to marry more than men do. That lines up with my anecdotal evidence perfectly; I see the exact same thing in daily life.

The teenage boys I knew and hung out with had a very fairytale approach to relationships, while women of the same age were playing the field. The guys grew up and became disillusioned with the whole premise, right around the time that women were switching gears as well, so everything basically reversed.

I don't see it changing anything from a global/societal perspective, at least not any time soon...men and women are still getting married in droves. Is it happening less? Sure, but it's not changing much. Even if there were some sort of extreme marriage revolution or something where the majority of men refused to marry (which I don't see happening), it would start balancing out when the men who ARE into marriage made their efforts known.

Consider what's happening with the modern definition of "chivalry". Fewer men are subscribing to it, so the remaining men who do are basically fighting women off with a stick. You'd see the same result in a hypothetical world where "the majority" of men were protesting marriage, I'd suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 02:02 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler View Post

And you don't find 27% vs. 8% who never want to marry to be significant? Almost 30% of men 30-50 say they never want to marry, while less than 10% of women say the same?
This is what they say not what they do. You know that for every woman that marries there is a man that marries, and for every married man there is a married woman? So Id say that its 50/50 for those that want marriage.

Quote:
Also, another factor to consider is that the desire to marry, by either gender, is not the only driving force behind the decline.

I rarely see it disputed that women mostly desire to "marry up." It seems that even though equalism is the order of the day, women have not shed the patriarchal desire to marry up.

With women's economic prospects rising, and men's declining, many women will simply not be able to find suitable partners, regardless of their desire to marry.

This is the phenomena that leads to the oft-cited "Where Have All the Good Men Gone?" articles.
You speak of how men are a risk in marriage and women are favored in the legal system (which is BS, BTW). In reality the reason women want to "marry up" which actually is women do not want to marry a man she will be taking care of financially throughout the marriage and end up giving him half of all her stuff and paying alimony to if the marriage ends in divorce, well that's why.

I guess those women who find themselves in such a predicament as not being able to find a suitable mate she doesn't grossly out earn will just have to settle for hot arm candy and a pre-nup.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:24 PM

376 posts, read 317,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
The data's not really telling us anything we don't already know (unless people are seriously still trying to dispute it); that outside of the particularly young and particularly old (for marriage, anyway), women want to marry more than men do. That lines up with my anecdotal evidence perfectly; I see the exact same thing in daily life.

The teenage boys I knew and hung out with had a very fairytale approach to relationships, while women of the same age were playing the field. The guys grew up and became disillusioned with the whole premise, right around the time that women were switching gears as well, so everything basically reversed.

I don't see it changing anything from a global/societal perspective, at least not any time soon...men and women are still getting married in droves. Is it happening less? Sure, but it's not changing much. Even if there were some sort of extreme marriage revolution or something where the majority of men refused to marry (which I don't see happening), it would start balancing out when the men who ARE into marriage made their efforts known.

Consider what's happening with the modern definition of "chivalry". Fewer men are subscribing to it, so the remaining men who do are basically fighting women off with a stick. You'd see the same result in a hypothetical world where "the majority" of men were protesting marriage, I'd suspect.
Ok, I'm really tired of arguing about the minutiae of who wants to marry, who doesn't and blah blah.

The graph posted is fact, it's not in dispute. I ask the marriage defenders and the "marriage is fine" people again:

When is the trend in the graph going to stop or reverse?
Why is it going to stop or reverse?
Why is it declining currently?

I'll wait.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
This is what they say not what they do. You know that for every woman that marries there is a man that marries, and for every married man there is a married woman? So Id say that its 50/50 for those that want marriage.

You speak of how men are a risk in marriage and women are favored in the legal system (which is BS, BTW). In reality the reason women want to "marry up" which actually is women do not want to marry a man she will be taking care of financially throughout the marriage and end up giving him half of all her stuff and paying alimony to if the marriage ends in divorce, well that's why.

I guess those women who find themselves in such a predicament as not being able to find a suitable mate she doesn't grossly out earn will just have to settle for hot arm candy and a pre-nup.
You mean like men have been doing since time immemorial? I've just marked you down as a huge sexist, so at least that came out of the offensive, hypocritical comment.

Women are absolutely favored in the legal system, and not just in divorce court, this is easily backed up with stats and research. To say anything else is beyond absurd.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:53 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
You mean like men have been doing since time immemorial? I've just marked you down as a huge sexist, so at least that came out of the offensive, hypocritical comment.

Women are absolutely favored in the legal system, and not just in divorce court, this is easily backed up with stats and research. To say anything else is beyond absurd.
How long have you despised the entire opposite gender? Were you breastfeed?

Old 01-29-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
How long have you despised the entire opposite gender? Were you breastfeed?

Oh wow, the misogyny card being played. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Everyone who states an uncomfortable truth is a misogynist.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:14 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Ok, I'm really tired of arguing about the minutiae of who wants to marry, who doesn't and blah blah.

The graph posted is fact, it's not in dispute. I ask the marriage defenders and the "marriage is fine" people again:

I'll wait.
It doesn't really matter what anyone says because you aren't open to any other facts or opinions other than your own. I know, I know - you are going to then say that I'm not saying anything because I have nothing to say therefore you "win" - and that's fine if you want to believe that - but nothing anyone says about anything (i.e. the "coin flip" of marriage, men actually wanting to get married, etc.) seems to get through to you so it's kind of pointless to try to reason with you.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:19 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,031 times
Quote:

I'll wait.
So whats the source of that graph? Cite that sh*t.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
It doesn't really matter what anyone says because you aren't open to any other facts or opinions other than your own. I know, I know - you are going to then say that I'm not saying anything because I have nothing to say therefore you "win" - and that's fine if you want to believe that - but nothing anyone says about anything (i.e. the "coin flip" of marriage, men actually wanting to get married, etc.) seems to get through to you so it's kind of pointless to try to reason with you.
I'm genuinely interested in your opinion.

The graph is fact and shouldn't be in dispute. It's taken from US census data.

Muse it out for me, please.

What do you think will happen? Marriage will rebound? Plateau? Crash?

Why will that happen? What is going to stop the decline, or cause a rebound or plateau?

Despite what everyone is saying, the graph is fact. What is the next step?

Old 01-29-2015, 03:35 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:

I'll wait.
Did you not notice that I was agreeing with you, mostly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships