Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 04:08 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,102,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
When he's on stage and answering the college girl? Best series opening in the history of television, IMHO.

We are very much behind in things like longevity, health, education, and quality of life. But incarceration? We're dang near the top in that! Crime and punishment, we can do.

But yeah, getting back to topic, I feel bad for Millennials with this. So many of them have no choice because of their student loans. I have nieces and nephews in their early and mid-20s, and I don't know how many of them will know the joy and empowerment of not needing someone else there to make ends meet. Maybe the one studying to be an orthopedic DO.

I think a lot of perceptions will changed when millennials age. It looks like this would be the generation poorer than Gen X or baby boomers. Women are likely to become a lot less picky if they want to date anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 04:13 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,486,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
My mortgage payment being about half the cost of what a comparable 2BR/2BA would be here is what sold me. Not to mention it's an asset that will more than likely increase in value over time.

Anyway, the point being is that we, as individuals, have our preferences. I was comparing that to your previous post, which seemed to generalize that all women shared your preference that a man having a roommate at X age was a deal breaker. Not only do I think that's false, I think that's not very fair of you to judge someone like that. Of course, you have your valid excuses for why you don't own a home. Perhaps the person who has roommates also has a list of valid excuses for having a roommate. Maybe they also were cleaned out during the recession and are rebuilding their financial well being. They are not beneath you for that.

At the end of the day, it's your personal preference.
Of course it is. But I don't have much appreciation for posts like Been's that basically imply people should disregard their own preferences to accommodate those who don't meet said preferences. I don't think anyone owes it to anyone else to "be less judgmental" about this. It's a matter of knowing your own comfort zone. As much as I think the guys who spew about "numbers" and "promiscuous women" on here are ridiculous and unrealistic, it's their right to be ridiculous and unrealistic.

Someone's reasons are for having roommates actually don't matter to me. The bottom line is that there are other people living where he lives, so there's not enough privacy for me to want to be there. It's just not my personality to want to be in shared living space, with anyone, really. I stayed in gawd-awful suburbia a year longer than I had to so I could save up the money to move rather than temporarily move in with my own sister.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:19 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,486,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I think a lot of perceptions will changed when millennials age. It looks like this would be the generation poorer than Gen X or baby boomers. Women are likely to become a lot less picky if they want to date anyone.
Gen X was the first generation to be less well off than the one before, thanks to Reaganomics. And you're right, it will be worse for Millennials. The student loans alone are choking them.

There will always be materialistic princesses. But I do think most young women are not hung up on the whole "hypergamy" silliness. (\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/ <------shots) My nieces certainly aren't. And in terms of earning power and education, there are more women in college than men, so if anything, it will be the men marrying "up."

Old 02-09-2016, 04:31 PM

930 posts, read 701,652 times
Quote:
Of course it is. But I don't have much appreciation for posts like Been's that basically imply people should disregard their own preferences to accommodate those who don't meet said preferences. I don't think anyone owes it to anyone else to "be less judgmental" about this. It's a matter of knowing your own comfort zone. As much as I think the guys who spew about "numbers" and "promiscuous women" on here are ridiculous and unrealistic, it's their right to be ridiculous and unrealistic.

Someone's reasons are for having roommates actually don't matter to me. The bottom line is that there are other people living where he lives, so there's not enough privacy for me to want to be there. It's just not my personality to want to be in shared living space, with anyone, really. I stayed in gawd-awful suburbia a year longer than I had to so I could save up the money to move rather than temporarily move in with my own sister.
I don't disagree with you about having preferences and standards. However, the message that seems to be conveyed on this thread is that roommates = you're a broke loser. That's just not true IME. Some people like having roommates simply for the fact that they have company and someone to talk to. Some people do it to save a little money up or invest, like me. Some people like having a roommate because it makes living in a particularly high demand area possible, like my GF. There are valid reasons for people choosing to have a roommate. It does not make one a loser, so let's stop painting it as such just because it's not one's own preference.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:35 PM

854 posts, read 587,395 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with you about having preferences and standards. However, the message that seems to be conveyed on this thread is that roommates = you're a broke loser. That's just not true IME. Some people like having roommates simply for the fact that they have company and someone to talk to. Some people do it to save a little money up or invest, like me. Some people like having a roommate because it makes living in a particularly high demand area possible, like my GF. There are valid reasons for people choosing to have a roommate. It does not make one a loser, so let's stop painting it as such just because it's not one's own preference.

Is it really the message being conveyed by everyone? I know I said I don't have a problem with roommates. They're necessary sometimes.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:38 PM

854 posts, read 587,395 times
Quote:
Ha! In my case it means two things: 1. The recession wiped me out and I'm still rebuilding, and more importantly, 2. I was never arsed to be a homeowner, even when it wasn't so insanely expensive to buy here. I just don't want that responsibility. Case in point: A pipe in the sprinkler system a few floors above mine burst a few weeks ago. Given that this is a high-rise, you can imagine how much water was involved. Water came down through all the electrical rooms and down the elevator shafts, pooling in the hallways down 10 floors. It came in under the door, as well as down the inside wall between my kitchen and dining.

Within hours, they had contractors in to take out the carpet padding, vacuum the water up off the concrete, and provide us with those industrial-strength fans to run overnight to avoid mold. The next day they came back, put in new padding, hammered the carpet back down, and that was that. They'll come back to paint in the spring when I can board my bird and leave the windows open for a week to get the fumes out.

And what a PITA it was when the same thing happened in the house my mother left my sisters and me after my dopey sister didn't leave the heat on high enough to prevent it. It took longer, and it cost us a piece of change. That right there was enough for me to say, "Nope, not owning a home unless I marry and we buy one together." When something breaks, I call the landlord, a guy comes, I point, he fixes, end of story. It's bliss.

I think you'll appreciate this article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0507060845.htm

See the fact that we're not all the same as a sort of public good

Old 02-09-2016, 04:38 PM

52,359 posts, read 52,828,351 times
Quote:
My mortgage payment being about half the cost of what a comparable 2BR/2BA would be here is what sold me. Not to mention it's an asset that will more than likely increase in value over time.
Yeah, me too. My mortgage including property taxes and HOA dues is still damn near half of what the comparable apartments are in our area cost.

Yeah, on the appreciation front, we've got a pretty good chunk of built up equity probably enough to sell here and buy outright with cash in other parts of the country, so there's that.

But renting has got some real advantages too, like Jasper said, something goes wrong you're not on the hook for it. We've got a few things around here that we've got to get addressed, nothing major, but again, we're on the hook for it, so like I said there's pro's and cons to each situation.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:51 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,949,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Roommate okay but living with parents?

Nope nope and nope. There is no excuse for being an adult lacking in independence and even an attempt to provide for and look after oneself. That's not functional adulthood.
Yet in the vast majority of the world families live together why in the west is it taboo to live with your family?

Old 02-09-2016, 04:56 PM

930 posts, read 701,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Yet in the vast majority of the world families live together why in the west is it taboo to live with your family?
It's a difference in cultures. Americans have been taught from a very young age that total self-dependence and individualism is the foundation and definition of a successful adulthood.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:59 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,050,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That is nonsense. Somerville is super cheap. My place in Stoneham was very reasonable. Amnd Billerica is still on the commuter line. EASY buses as far as Manchester NH, with a lot of practically rural towns in NH in between.

Somerville is one of the priciest places around and has been for some time. Your info is very outdated. More expensive than Cambridge much of the time. A small one bedroom condo in a less desirable area of Somerville will be around 400k, and the median house price in Somerville was 775k as of last fall, with the highest gains out of an Eastern MA town. The average one bedroom in Somerville is about 1800-2000. Not super cheap. Million dollar homes are very common. I'm thinking you haven't paid attention to what Somerville is now and think like its still the 80s or early 90s.

Last edited by timberline742; 02-09-2016 at 05:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships