Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 04:31 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Then go use Bumble. The guys can't contact you until you contact them.

Even then you'll get some, but it will be less. Women will get sex solicitations, guys will get bots. It's just the way of the OL dating/hookup world. It's one of the main reasons female friends quit OLD, there is just too much crap to deal with.

A lady friend of mine is a moderator for OKC, its volunteer, she was asked. People report messages and she reviews them. She told me there are far far fewer dick pics type things than she thought there would be based on her experiences, and tons of bots. Maybe women don't actually report the messages? Who knows.
I've never really received many sexual messages on OLD. Not even on Tinder. But I sympathize with those who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 04:52 PM

511 posts, read 402,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
"As an intelligent guy" by what measure? Your opinion of yourself? Because I certainly don't concur with that characterization.
Okay. Feel free to think I'm unintelligent. No skin off my proverbial back.

Quote:
I'm sorry you have a problem with statistics, but it's honestly not my problem. If you want to live in a fantasy world where these facts don't exist, have at it. But don't get whiny with me when I point them out.
The reply was directed at Atlanta_BD... so I'm not sure why you're quoting it unless maybe you're sock accounts for each other(?). Anyway, personally, I'm not being whiny... mock me as an SJW if you want, but IMHO, using statistics to assert peoples' deterministic behaviors by race, gender, creed, sexual orientation, etc. is bigotry. IMO, the: "Men be like this.", "Asians be like that.", "Gays be like this.", "Jews be like that." stuff is something we as a culture need to get over. Also, don't most forums discourage this sort of thing?

And IME, the more intelligent the company, the less of that kind of thing I encounter... consistently. YMMV.

Quote:
Bad luck? You're projecting your own sad history onto me. I've never had bad luck with dating. The only thing I've posted about my experiences on Tinder is that I've left it before because I was inundated with messages and matches.
Again, wasn't addressing you at all. Feel free to ignore any and all posts by one Mr_Polymath.

Quote:
But perhaps YOUR bad luck, and the positively dismal reply and match rate you have, is down to the nasty and condescending way you speak to people (not just me, but multiple people on this thread). As well as a seemingly out of whack perception of yourself, for example, informing people that you are intelligent when no one has commented anything to that effect. Perhaps a habit you should think critically about
Perceive me how you want. You can never be wrong if that's how you want to see it.

Last edited by Mr_Polymath; 09-13-2016 at 05:06 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 05:06 PM

231 posts, read 226,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Okay. Feel free to think I'm unintelligent. No skin off my proverbial back.

The reply was directed at Atlanta_BD... so I'm not sure why you're quoting it unless maybe you're sock accounts for each other(?). Anyway, personally, I'm not being whiny... mock me as an SJW if you want, but IMHO, using statistics to assert peoples' deterministic behaviors by race, gender, creed, sexual orientation, etc. is bigotry. IMO, the: "Men be like this.", "Asians be like that.", "Gays be like this.", "Jews be like that." stuff is something we as a culture need to get over.

And IME, the more intelligent the company, the less of that kind of thing I encounter... consistently. YMMV.

Again, wasn't addressing you at all. Feel free to ignore any and all posts by one Mr_Polymath.

Perceive me how you want.

Huh. So I guess no one can ever talk about behavioral differences between genders? So I'm not able to talk about the wage gap then, or the fact that women do more housework and childcare than men (by a massive margin), or the fact that men commit the vast majority of violent crime?

Hmmmm. No, SJW is definitely not the word I would give to someone who tries to suppress that kind of speech. MRA sounds appropriate, though.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:20 PM

511 posts, read 402,473 times
Quote:
Huh. So I guess no one can ever talk about behavioral differences between genders? So I'm not able to talk about the wage gap then, or the fact that women do more housework and childcare than men (by a massive margin), or the fact that men commit the vast majority of violent crime?
Sure you can... but you need to have enough of a grasp on communication to discuss it in a way where you're talking about statistical groups and things like cultural trends (facts and references beyond anecdata help too), and not just broadbrushing groups of people in isolation from the more complex functions of society, self-selection (like you might find on Tinder), etc. Saying, "God, men are so desperate. You get a glimpse into the male mind and it's straight up depressing" isn't even close the the syntax of an educated discussion. It comes off far more as gender-war baiting, which again, I believe is a no-no on most forums.

Quote:
Hmmmm. No, SJW is definitely not the word I would give to someone who tries to suppress that kind of speech. MRA sounds appropriate, though.
No idea what MRA is? Did you mean NRA?

Old 09-13-2016, 05:40 PM

231 posts, read 226,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Sure you can... but you need to have enough of a grasp on communication to discuss it in a way where you're talking about statistical groups and things like cultural trends (facts and references beyond anecdata help too), and not just broadbrushing groups of people in isolation from the more complex functions of society, self-selection (like you might find on Tinder), etc. Saying, "God, men are so desperate. You get a glimpse into the male mind and it's straight up depressing" isn't even close the the syntax of an educated discussion. It comes off far more as gender-war baiting, which again, I believe is a no-no on most forums.

No idea what MRA is? Did you mean NRA?
My statement was not a random comment from thin air, it was based on one person's account of what it was like to be a male on Tinder. You'd have to be mentally impaired not to realize my response, which quoted his statement, was specifically addressing the aspect of male life that he had related. For most people this is a no brainer- but then there were always kids in school who struggled with the basic rules of reading comprehension...

Hmmm. An MRA is pretty much the opposite of a SJW, let's put it that way. Next time you want more clarification, I recommend google. It's a great little site, you should try it.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:50 PM

811 posts, read 550,975 times
Quote:
God, men are so desperate. You get a glimpse into the male mind and it's straight up depressing.
I'm just the messenger. It is what it is.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:55 PM

811 posts, read 550,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
The thing that shocks us women is that we find it hard to believe that men don't know how inappropriate, creepy, and downright scary their behavior is when it comes to women and sex. A lot of men feel entitled and feel it is ok to solicit women for sex like it's no big deal. It is unwelcomed most of the time.
If you go to an app that was created for hook-ups, you can't say it is "unwelcomed".

Old 09-13-2016, 06:09 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,221,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
If you go to an app that was created for hook-ups, you can't say it is "unwelcomed".
I am not any on hook up apps or sites.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:19 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
Urban Dictionary:
Tinder
A dating app in which 95% of the guys are looking for casual sex or nudes to jack off to, and 95% of the girls are either looking for bae or just want to make friends... resulting in pretty much consistent disappointment and frustration for both parties...

Kinda like real life
*Dude matches with girl*
Dude: "Hey wanna meet up?"
Girl: "You worthless pig, I'm not just on Tinder for hookups, I'm here to have valuable conversation and try to find Mr. Right"
Dude: *unmatched* "Well, better luck next time"
#hookup app #dating app #college #casual sex #sex life summed up in an app #disappointment

Old 09-13-2016, 06:55 PM

594 posts, read 380,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
Urban Dictionary:
Tinder
....or nudes to jack off to
Huh. I never realized that this is something I could do with OLD. Maybe I'll add that to my strategy. How would a guy go about asking and then acquiring nudes? There has to be a classy way to ask so that I don't seem like a pervert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships