Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 05:04 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
"I would start at your toes."

lol too much?
Dang it! You beat me to it!! Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 05:10 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehighrockies View Post
Humor

lite teasing, nothing sexual though.

Prefer something that fit your environment.
This!

If she is willing to carry on a conversation with you then you can tell.

Most women don't want a one liner, a joke or flat out invitation to go out. You need to make friendly talk work for you. It should be easy to tell if she's interested if she helps keep the conversation going.

Avoid remarks such as, 'you are beautiful, you have a smoking body, I love your eyes. These are shallow remarks.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:40 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Be pleasant with a smile and know when to stop. It gets creepy when you won't go away if she's not interested.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:01 AM

1,261 posts, read 971,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

Don't put on a clown hat or juggle bowling pins or anything
Well crap, this must be where I've been screwing up...

Old 10-26-2016, 07:09 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,381 times
Just be human...practice the art of conversation with people you meet in everyday places. As an example:

I stopped by Trader Joe's yesterday after work (needed some groceries). The cashier (female, mid-20s, cute) was dressed in a pirate costume. As she was scanning the items from my basket, I asked "how's the pirate life treating you these days?" That started a pirate-themed conversation. We weren't all "argh, matey!" or other cheesy things like that. Instead, we casually and humorously discussed the plight of the modern-day pirate and how they've had to work hard to overcome their pasts. I wasn't hitting on her (I have a girlfriend) but I enjoyed the chat for what it was--a human interaction.

I think that people put way too much emphasis on the outcome. Like others have said, make a comment about the weather, her shoes, the fact that the elevator seems to be extra slow today, etc. Use that as a place from which to build, and don't worry if you walk away with a phone number. Just relax and enjoy!

--Dim

Old 10-26-2016, 08:23 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's kind of a lose-lose, though, op...because flirting only really works for anyone IF the other person wanted that person to flirt with them.
Yes, I wanted to say this but as usual, someone else was able to say it more eloquently than I could. Flirting is most definitely a two way street and you won't get anywhere without that mutual attraction.

For pointers, I would suggest:

Eye contact (but not too much eye contact)

Smiling (but not too much smiling, could be perceived as creepy)

Be funny (not ha ha funny, but clever and witty). I don't flirt much these days but a little self deprecating humor always worked for me. I'm more friendly than flirty and it just comes natural to me.

Be attractive (don't be unattractive)

Old 10-26-2016, 08:27 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
This is going to sound cliché, but just be yourself. Because no matter how smooth of a talker you are, you're going to come off creepy with some women.

Just flirt anyway and take your chances.
Exactly. Talk a little. Ask her first name, make small conversation. Worst case scenario, she won't be interested and will let you know this. She's not gonna cut off your hands and feet, she'll just say Thanks but no thanks.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:36 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
How about humor?

Humor/bantering is very sexy.

Don't put on a clown hat or juggle bowling pins or anything, just say something funny and appropriate to the situation (IOW, don't literally stand there and tell a random joke..."Did you hear the one about the priest, the rabbi and the coke addict...?").
I agree, and maybe the point doesn't have to be that you're being funny so much as playful? I know when I try to be funny it just doesn't work sometimes, seeming forced or just not funny. But I can always be playful, and I think that adds to both people's comfort.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:24 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Yes, I wanted to say this but as usual, someone else was able to say it more eloquently than I could. Flirting is most definitely a two way street and you won't get anywhere without that mutual attraction.
Yes, but you don't get anywhere without doing anything at all, either.

You have to (subtly) flirt or at least say hello to open things up or nothing's going to happen. There's no "no-risk" (definitely no rejection) way to do this, but then again there never is such a thing in dating. That's why you date (or try to get the date)...to find out IF that attraction is there and then, if something sustainable is there.

BTW, I'm about nine hundred percent certain (give or take a percent) that I started off the flirting with my now-husband and obviously we both had to sustain it.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:26 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Let's pretend your the girl and I'm the guy.

"Hey how is your day?"smile
"That's a pretty color you are wearing goes good with your eyes."
After compliment go right into next sentence.
"So what's with this weather really windy and cold all of a sudden.Do you know what the weather is tomorrow? I really hope it's nice this weekend because I'm going to a college football game."
Get the back and forth going and make people feel comfortable and listen to their feedback.
Look at where they stand and how far. Some blush,some studder,some hold eye contact or look away,laugh way too much,
Anytime I seem to show any interest the conversation seems to end on the ladies part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships