Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 03:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Why not, people are basically the same wherever you go, at least from my own experience. Granted there are cultural differences to take into account, but good manners are fairly universal. I behave the same way in Korea, Japan, South America, and the Middle East as I do in NYC, California or Alabama, it's never been an issue, I'm polite and civil to everyone. Most times that courtesy is reciprocated.

There are rivalries among regions and some states, but overall I think people are similar wherever you go, and I've never been treated any better down south than I have in any other region of the country. That's why Southern Hospitality just seems more like a rhetorical moniker that's been applied by folks who are proud of where they're from and really doesn't carry all that much substance. People are alike wherever you go for the most part.
See, I totally disagree. Yes, people are people. But every society has its own mores and codes in how one conducts oneself in a business meeting, at a person's home, or in a restaurant. So while an attempt at politeness is universal, the nuances of what is considered acceptable and what is not are very much local. There are entire books on the subject, as a matter of fact. It would be ridiculous to argue otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 05:03 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,085,744 times
I've been all over the US. People in Augusta are a lot different than people in Atlanta. People in Scranton are worlds apart from people in Syracuse. Atlanta is much more diverse progressive, whereas Augusta is all about staying Augusta. They'd chain themselves to an old outhouse somebody wanted to tear down saying it was historic. People in Scranton are super phony friendly. Up in Syracuse nobody cares about pretense at all.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,085,744 times
However...I've been to many Church services all over the world...

I've only come across this in the south...

‪Pray for Horsepower‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-25-2011, 06:43 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,790,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
See, I totally disagree. Yes, people are people. But every society has its own mores and codes in how one conducts oneself in a business meeting, at a person's home, or in a restaurant. So while an attempt at politeness is universal, the nuances of what is considered acceptable and what is not are very much local. There are entire books on the subject, as a matter of fact. It would be ridiculous to argue otherwise.
I don't think it's ridiculous at all. I'm offering one man's opinion based on my own experience. As I mentioned in my earlier post, there are cultural differences, but in most cases you can get by with common courtesy despite the minor differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
I've been all over the US. People in Augusta are a lot different than people in Atlanta. People in Scranton are worlds apart from people in Syracuse. Atlanta is much more diverse progressive, whereas Augusta is all about staying Augusta. They'd chain themselves to an old outhouse somebody wanted to tear down saying it was historic. People in Scranton are super phony friendly. Up in Syracuse nobody cares about pretense at all.
I've also been all over the country, and if a man in Denver loses his job, child, or home, he hurts the same as a man in New York City or Birmingham Alabama. Men from all over the country play the same games in order to get laid, some are just smoother than others or less transparent. They have the same needs and similar goals in life, sometimes they just go about getting it a little differently. Once you get past the outer surface of a New Englander, a Southerner, or someone from the Midwest most people are the same regardless of what part of the country they are from.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,012 times
I'm a man who lives in Iowa. I would say I'm more rural than urban. I get along mostly with people who are more rural. I just find that the rural Iowans are more down to earth and kind. We just click better because we are the same breed. I open doors for women, treat women with respect, and am loyal. There are rural and urban people all across this great country. I don't think it matters if you live north or south of the mason dixon line. There is a variety of different folks no matter what region you live in.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 PM

393 posts, read 891,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
OH is THAT why all these northerners move to Cary, NC and pull for Dook?
puh-leeeeeeez. If I had a dime for every time I met someone from NC up here in NYC I'd have at least enough to buy some coffee or something.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:18 PM

85 posts, read 110,843 times
I am a midwesterner, and would definitely say my personality is more Northern. I find most of the Southerners I've ever know to be unfailingly polite, very genteel and kind...but you'll never be truly accepted by them unless you are Southern yourself. They have a huge facade thing and also seem much more stratified by class that we are here. I would say though, as a Midwesterner, I would give New York and New Jersey their own designation - not Northern, per se...more like their own category. Some of the earlier posts talked about Southerners in business situations and I really do agree - you have to play the game of social chit chat in order to get anything done.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 PM

80 posts, read 218,874 times
"I am a midwesterner, and would definitely say my personality is more Northern. I find most of the Southerners I've ever know to be unfailingly polite, very genteel and kind...but you'll never be truly accepted by them unless you are Southern yourself."

This is both true and not true at the same time. A northerner won't be accepted as easily as a fellow southerner but with time and a little effort he/she will.

Something I've noticed growing up in northern VA, which as all true Virginians know has been occupied territory since the Civil War and there are a ton of northern transplants. I guess this is because of its proximity to DC. At my high school I seemed to be one of the few who parents were actually born in VA. Cross the Rappahannock River into "ROVA" as it's called in northern VA (or NOVA), ROVA meaning "Rest of Virginia" as well as "real Virginia" and hence southern, and its a whole different story.
Anywho, I've noticed as soon as I go south of the Rappahannock the men get super hot. They just don't make em like that in NOVA! This is serious! Continue south through VA, NC, SC, etc. and its the same. Something in the water man. Granted they haven't let themselves go of course. I live in Norfolk, VA now (I go to college at ODU) and oh my goodness! So many smokin southern men everywhere I look. Delicious. I've also been north of DC and trust me when I say, in general, there are always exceptions, but in general southern men are just simply better looking....and taller....much taller. Tall, lean, sinewy, blue eyed deliciousness.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,574,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No, the politeness and respect is very much appreciated. It really is. It becomes "sugarcoating" when you have an ongoing rapport with a southerner as a neighbor or a co-worker with whom you can let down your guard, and you feel like you're STILL getting the filtered version. A northerner, or a westerner, knows that they get "You're full of $hit" about 1/2 the time when dealing with someone they know well and are often glad to hear such constructive candor, so that they know something is WRONG when they NEVER hear such honesty coming from a southerner they know well.

Sidebar:
I know an Alabamian, a good friend, who transplanted to the West 15 years ago and is now living in PHX. He is gradually becoming "Westernized," telling me with much more ease that I'm full of it, or unrealistic, or whatever. You gotta respect that!
I know what you mean...stayed a few months in Birmingham visiting family friends and observed this first hand.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I know what you mean...stayed a few months in Birmingham visiting family friends and observed this first hand.
What did you observe?

She's ugly as a bar of soap, bless her heart!

That makes it all good, right?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships