Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2017, 10:26 AM

602 posts, read 396,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm with burgler. It is not work for someone you care about. Now for someone you despise, it is work.
but why would you do those things for someone you despise? I'm confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 10:28 AM

540 posts, read 363,008 times
Theoretically you could be out the door as soon as a better opportunity arises. Nothing concrete.
A simple phone call and you are into another adventure.

No commitment. Really easy to drop everything and leave.

To paraphrase that movie "Heat"
Never become involved in anything you can't drop in 30seconds.

You may not leave. Maybe she will....

Old 03-22-2017, 10:28 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfRescuingPrincess View Post
That was not even close to his point

Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 AM

405 posts, read 241,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've read that "work" in a relationship is more like driving and less like hard labor. You have be be aware, present, attentive, proactive, and reactive. The question about your ideal relationship that some people are having is mainly wondering if you can achieve real intimacy with someone while you're also keeping them at arm's length.

Oh Okay, thanks for clarifying that for me. I can see where people are coming from when looking at it from that perspective. I would like to think that it is possible, i wouldn't hide any feelings or anything from them, we would just not be living together, I would be an open book.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
You missed my point. The act of being there for someone through a hard time should be second nature for someone you care about, which is not really work for any decent person.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Nightsong View Post
Feels like one of you will b out the door as soon as a better opportunity arises
I cant speak from the girls point of view, but I would committed to her.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:40 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBrown333 View Post
I cant speak from the girls point of view, but I would committed to her.

I do think you need to have realistic expectations.

You're probably not going to get anything TOO serious and committed with what you're looking for.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Even more so, I believe that a relationship is supposed to be, first and foremost, easy. "Hard work" is just Hollywood BS to get people to produce more taxpayers. (Because welfare programs and tax cuts for the rich.) If a relationship isn't smoothly coasting along on its own and its problems aren't resolving themselves, then it's not a good relationship, and should be promptly ended.

Is a friendship supposed to be "hard work"? No! Then why should a relationship be? Anyone, other than Hollywood, have an answer? Conversely, if two friends always argue, they stop being friends, plain and simple! Then why in the world are you supposed to "work through it" when there's a ye olde relationshippe [sic] going on?
I agree, I don't believe in arguing and all that BS. a relationship does not have to be hard, people are just conditioned to expect it to be.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:43 AM

602 posts, read 396,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've read that "work" in a relationship is more like driving and less like hard labor. You have be be aware, present, attentive, proactive, and reactive. The question about your ideal relationship that some people are having is mainly wondering if you can achieve real intimacy with someone while you're also keeping them at arm's length.
thank you - you put it much better than I was able to!

Old 03-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
how many close relationships have you had that were "easy" - no work whatsoever? I can count on one hand how many of those I've had, and they ended quickly because we were still putting on first impressions and hadn't really gotten to know who the other person really was. Friendships and relationships overall are work because not everyone is happy-go-lucky and available for you at all times. People go through their own crap. They have bad days. They have losses. Supporting them and helping them deal with that crap is work. If you aren't willing to do that work, then you aren't cut out for ANY meaningful relationship.
I don't consider any of my relationships work, I am a very positive person always smiling and brightening peoples days, people love to be around me cause I am infectious with my positive vibe. I help people get through bad times (family or friends) I can sympathize very well, but I don't consider any of this work, its just part of my personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships