Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:20 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,821,621 times

Advertisements

Why do women and men reconnect with long time past boyfriends/girlfriends? Because there is that memory of all the good things, the chemistry, the "firsts" you shared. You don't really remember the negatives. Interestingly, I had an old high school sweetheart contact me a few years ago. I had, over the years during the "worst" times of my marriage, remembered him fondly and wished I could feel that same feeling of being adored. The only reason we had gone our separate ways is because I had moved several states away. After I left, he got into drugs, which I didn't approve of. Then he moved one state away, but I was newly married at the time, so I just went on with my life. So, finally, almost 30 years later he contacted me after getting my cell number from a mutual friend. We had one conversation. His voice was exactly the same! But then he started talking. Turns out he was extremely racist. Like, over the top racist. Not something we had ever discussed in our teen love stage. All I could think was, thank goodness we went our separate ways so many years ago. I could never have lived with someone like that. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 05:07 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I am truly sorry. That reply was all about me running a fever and being stressed out to the max. I really do think I may be coming down with pneumonia.
Please get some medical aid. I had a pneumonia for six weeks -- I thought it would never resolve.

At this stage of our lives pneumonia can be dangerous. This is not the time to hole up and self-treat.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:30 PM

204 posts, read 181,771 times
"I'm sorry but I just can't do this anymore," turned on his heel and left - just like that.

It is finished.

Move on

Old 04-04-2017, 08:04 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
You have unfinished business with this man. Say what you have to say and move on. Then block him.

He damaged you and his children. Walking out on his children is abhorrent and selfish. His children should have been his priority. You owe him nothing. Return the money and do not accept any other mail from him.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:23 PM

711 posts, read 688,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post
"I'm sorry but I just can't do this anymore," turned on his heel and left - just like that.

It is finished.

Move on
There's a little Karma/closure mentality in me that wants these to be the last words the OP says to Glenn.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:51 AM

28,911 posts, read 30,284,252 times
I apologize if the OP takes offense to this, but believe me, I'm speaking from experience, as I was there once to....

rather then to seek answers the first thing I'd do is cut him off completely....out of your life

the next thing I'd do (and this is just me) I'd do some very heavy duty self evaluation....meaning, you've got to figure out, why you chose someone with so little concern for your heart....or for anyone else for that matter. This is unacceptable behavior....why would you allow this person even remotely back in your life?

When you start to self evaluate, you realize, you must have seen flags, than the next question should be, why would I allow someone to treat me so badly? I didn't deserve this?

Was I hungry to have someone in my life so badly that I allowed this person to do this to me?
Was I hurting financially and thought the extra income would help?
Was I with him for all the WRONG REASONS?
It's not his job to MAKE me happy, nor my job to MAKE him happy, if we're not already confident and happy in life, no one else can do it for us.
Did I lack that much confidence in myself that I was willing to accept this kind of treatment?

This isn't love, is it?

yanno, when I think about it....yes, he was terribly and morally wrong, but what is wrong with me that I was willing to accept so little. My parents didn't raise me to have such little respect for myself.

I've got to take time to re-evaluate me, and the heck with blaming him, I already know, he couldn't make me happy....

There is a whole lot of really good self help online to read....if nothing else, good reading material...but you need to sit back, kick your feet up and do some serious self examination, come to terms with your weaknesses, own them, than fix them.

And that my friend, starts a whole new perspective within....it's a long road, but well worth it.
Here is a sample....just to give you an idea might not reflect on you, but remember, educating yourself in all things is power and food for the soul.

http://tinybuddha.com/blog/trusting-...eeking-advice/

Last edited by cremebrulee; 04-05-2017 at 07:12 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 09:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
At the end of the day, we stay in bad relationships, or gravitate toward bad relationships, or allow bad relationships back into our lives because we are getting something out of them. Until we figure out what that is and how to replace that unbalanced need with a healthier desire, we won't stop the cycle.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:09 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
I know a woman who has bipolar, goes off meds when she feels better, then everything accomplished goes out the window.

In the past 8 months, she left her husband (again!!), moved in with a friend, found a job, filed for divorce.

She just went back to him because she loves him. I'm betting he tells her he can't live without her.

I feel angry with her. I know, she is sick, as is her husband. He controls until she caves, she goes back to him, he resumes his mistreatment.

Hard to accept it.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:16 AM

28,911 posts, read 30,284,252 times
yupper, NJgal, I was that woman, and KathrynArrogone is right....

Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times
I think this man realizes he is getting older, and will need someone around in his older years, to help him out, take care of him. I think he is not in love with anyone but himself.

I'd bet anything that Glenn is having financial difficulties and is either homeless or one step away from it. If he could come live with you, that would be great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships