Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 03:31 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,413,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Did anyone besides me and HC actually listen to the clip? I don’t even think the OP listened to it because this dating coach says clearly to make a woman wait 5-10 years for any commitment (not just marriage). That means you and her date around since you aren’t exclusive.

If you don’t want to listen to the whole thing, try the 2 minute mark. That’s where he says it. And at the 3:20 mark he says again you just keep a woman as a FB for 5-10 years, don’t even make her your girlfriend.

If he was talking about 5 years dating and commitment before marriage, I could see it. But to wait 5 years to move beyond just dating? Seems foolish. No one is going to wait that long unless they have no self esteem or don’t plan on ever committing to you either.
Yes, I did. This "coach" is a raging toolface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 03:36 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Did anyone besides me and HC actually listen to the clip? I don’t even think the OP listened to it because this dating coach says clearly to make a woman wait 5-10 years for any commitment (not just marriage).
Yes, I did ... unfortunately.

He is not talking about dating or anything decent. He just means messing around with someone, i.e. "making her wait ...," which like I said is NOT the same as dating and NOT a very kind approach.

It's crap. No one should pay any attention to him.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:42 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
5 years is a good number. Might cut down on the divorce rate.
I am not sure there is a strong correlation between length of courtship and divorce rate.

My profession has an extremely high divorce rate, I am well aware that many professions kill marriages. I am not aware of what professions are the 'best' for marriages.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:49 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am not sure there is a strong correlation between length of courtship and divorce rate.

My profession has an extremely high divorce rate, I am well aware that many professions kill marriages. I am not aware of what professions are the 'best' for marriages.
Well, if you are just "dating" in a formal way it's not easy to really find out if someone is batshirt nutz in a short amount of time. I've dated several people that right around a year the truth behold. Whether it's a raging temper, sleeping around, drug use, whatever the vice they were able to hide it for a while.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:02 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Well, if you are just "dating" in a formal way it's not easy to really find out if someone is batshirt nutz in a short amount of time. I've dated several people that right around a year the truth behold. Whether it's a raging temper, sleeping around, drug use, whatever the vice they were able to hide it for a while.
My familytree had an extra helping of [bleep] nutz in among it's branches. Maybe that helped me to detect those when I was dating.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-05-2018 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:21 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,060,171 times
Quote:
One of my "personal rules" in dating:

Anyone can "feign sanity" for 3 dates.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:55 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
In truth, you don't need five years. The easiest possible way to find out what someone is made of is to take a 10-day vacation with that person.

Not a vacation where you sit by the pool and wait for telepathic servers to bring you yet another pina colada. Nope. A vacation where you have to travel from place to place, be on time for planes and trains, be kind of organized, and deal with unfamiliar situations.

I went on a vacation like that with a girlfriend. It wasn't as if we were going to Tanzania or Bhutan. Nope. Colofreakingrado. We had kind of a plan, an agreed-upon set of things to do.

Day one and two went smoothly. But by day four, she just wanted to sit around the hotel room in the middle of the Colorado Rockies and watch Donohue on TV. She snapped at a perfectly nice waitress. She complained about the temperature and how dry the air was.

No huge offenses. More like the death of a thousand cuts. Here we were in the most glorious landscape in North America and she's complaining all the time. And coming home from that trip, I realized how annoyed I was a lot of the time, chiefly because she basically ruined matters. Life is an adventure, and so is traveling. If you can't handle a ten-day trip without behaving like a neurotic princess, then there's no way you can handle actual life.

So I gave her the heave-ho. So glad I did, too.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:09 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
In truth, you don't need five years. The easiest possible way to find out what someone is made of is to take a 10-day vacation with that person.

Not a vacation where you sit by the pool and wait for telepathic servers to bring you yet another pina colada. Nope. A vacation where you have to travel from place to place, be on time for planes and trains, be kind of organized, and deal with unfamiliar situations. .

I did that with a woman, two weeks in Costa Rica hiking two different regions, including hiking across the Osa Peninsula, before we lived together. While it is true the hardships and constant 24/7 nature of it did show a lot about our ability to talk through things, negotiate, give and take, collectively solve problems and disagreements, and even how we shared experiences, that just showed that indeed we were great friends and partners, not spouse material. We tried to head that way, it would have been disaster.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:18 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

Not a vacation where you sit by the pool and wait for telepathic servers to bring you yet another pina colada. Nope. A vacation where you have to travel from place to place, be on time for planes and trains, be kind of organized, and deal with unfamiliar situations.

I went on a vacation like that with a girlfriend. It wasn't as if we were going to Tanzania or Bhutan. Nope. Colofreakingrado. We had kind of a plan, an agreed-upon set of things to do.

Day one and two went smoothly. But by day four, she just wanted to sit around the hotel room in the middle of the Colorado Rockies and watch Donohue on TV. She snapped at a perfectly nice waitress. She complained about the temperature and how dry the air was.

No huge offenses. More like the death of a thousand cuts. Here we were in the most glorious landscape in North America and she's complaining all the time. And coming home from that trip, I realized how annoyed I was a lot of the time, chiefly because she basically ruined matters. Life is an adventure, and so is traveling. If you can't handle a ten-day trip without behaving like a neurotic princess, then there's no way you can handle actual life.

So I gave her the heave-ho. So glad I did, too.
Actually not a bad idea...

Old 12-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I would wait 3-5 years anyways cause I prefer not rushing into something as serious as marriage. The divorce rate is so high cause people think with their private parts over their brain. Develop patience and let it develop organically and you'll soon find out if a man or woman is worth marrying. That's just how I feel about it.
The math and lifespans don't work out in a way that would make having a family possible, IMHO, on that timeline. I think an adult (24 years plus, finished with school and on the way to a promising career path) should be able to know within 4 months of dating if this one is VERY likely to be a "keeper" and then wait another year so to marry. Or, move on at the 4 month point.

If you've been dating 4 years and still can't decide if this is a woman you want to marry, 1. she's not the one, or 2. you don't want to be married.

If you start dating, you really like what you see, meet her friends and family and coworkers and take her to meet yours and you can make the decision quickly and clearly if you want to marry this woman and have a life and children together. Or you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships