Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 01:18 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I would not be comfortable with this. And i bet he is unemployed.
My guess is he is highly sexually dysfunctional.

(Can you try to find out and let me know if I'm right? )

Old 09-10-2018, 01:19 PM

6,348 posts, read 2,903,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Believe it or not, there are some cultures that believe that you live with your parents, until you got married.
My uncle lived with his mother even after he got married. The house had a smaller separate apartment in back. They were originally from Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
My guess is he is highly sexually dysfunctional.

(Can you try to find out and let me know if I'm right? )
That's all men are to women - sex objects. DEPLORABLE!!

Old 09-10-2018, 01:21 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamfury1 View Post

Yes this just doesn't seem right to me.
Simple: if that doesn't seem right to you, then don't continue this relationship. Leave and let him find someone who will be ok with the way he is living his life.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:26 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,356,368 times
Quote:
Yes, I know. Thats another thing that I would say is a red flag. 47yo and never married.
My friend is in his 50s and never been married. He also has not been living with his mommy since he was 15. He works full-time in a stable, well-paying profession, owns his own home (has since a young age) and does his own laundry and takes care of himself, all by himself. He's just ardently independent, never wanted kids or marriage and has no trouble finding female company. He's a catch who does not want to be caught.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:27 PM

32 posts, read 53,233 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with him living at home. He may be there to help his mom out with the house. When our parents age it becomes quite a burden to take care of a home by themselves. I'd say give this a guy a shot, see where it goes, it may turn out that he's a really nice guy. Now if your looking for a relationship with a man who has more security and material wealth, then hes probably not the guy for you.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:27 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Bells and buzzers and flags are flying off.

I suggest you listen to them.

Tall and handsome isn't enough, or at least it shouldn't be enough.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:34 PM

326 posts, read 199,682 times
Quote:

Yes this just doesn't seem right to me.
When your gut feeling tells you something... run with it.

He sounds somewhat like me... meaning I'm in my 40's and have been told I'm attractive as well... but I haven't lived with my Mom since I was 17.

I'll give him credit for being honest though... I don't think I could tell any date that I lived with my Mom and feel confident that she'd go out with me again no matter how well the date went. I'd feel the same way about any woman I went out with... if she lived with Mom I'd be like "WTF?"

Old 09-10-2018, 01:37 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
This may only be my experience, but the people I've known who live with parents for cultural/traditional reasons basically turn things around and support the parents by a certain point, usually in the 30s somewhere. And often it's a case of the parents living with the adult child at that point, not the other way around. IOW, "let's get a bigger place, you'll be more comfortable, Mom" as the transition to..."It's actually my place even though we don't talk about that."

These adult children generally work very hard, not part-time, and do a huge portion of the grunt work around the house as well.

They don't separate from the parents until marriage but they are expected to really be rowing the boat, especially as they get up there in age. The responsibility factor in such cultures on the part of children/adult children is huge.

Previously, the parents did the same as young adults. It's what's expected, in honoring the parents, who still officially "call the shots" although it's obvious there's a change of guard taking place.

Again, this is only my experience.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-10-2018 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Should have stated: culturally

Old 09-10-2018, 01:38 PM

32 posts, read 53,233 times
delete

Old 09-10-2018, 01:45 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,072,165 times
Me being me, I'd walk away. But if there was something special between us, I'd try to find out more about the situation with his mom/work and then decide. It could either be he has no time because he has to care for his mom, he's mooching off of her, or trying to rebuild his life while living there and saving up money.

Playing video games at 47 isn't a red flag, it's called a "hobby". Now, if you can't get them to stop playing to do things that are needed, like cleaning, laundry, going out for XYZ, then that's called "addiction"; then it's a red flag. LOL. I only say this since my BF is a borderline gaming addict. But, I can drag him away so I don't mind so much. Better to be at home playing than out of the home "playing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships