Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 06:36 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,272,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
This. It's all about being at the same stage of life, with similar energy levels, interests, goals, and outlooks. Most guys 15 years older than I are already retired, while I have no interest in retiring at my age. It wouldn't work for either of us.
That actually worked for me! I married for the second time when I was 50 and DH was 65. We moved halfway across the country for my job and he retired. He was in advertising so you can imagine how dim his job prospects would have been. He was a very supportive stay-at-home husband, taking all the domestic stuff off my back (except the finances- I'm a control freak about that). He was also an amazing stepfather to DS. He died 2 years ago- an outcome I expected given the age difference and his chronic health issues- but it was a wonderful marriage.

I had 2 dating relationships when I was younger with much-older guys- a 34-year old when I was 21 and a 45-year old when I was 25. I don't think I was looking for a Daddy (my own is still alive and we have a good relationship) and I sure didn't need someone to pay my way and buy me stuff- I can do that on my own. I think I was just more mature for my age and more compatible with guys who had some history.

I'm 66 now and current BF is about to turn 68. I'm not messing with much-older guys at this age!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 04:11 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,847,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
That actually worked for me! I married for the second time when I was 50 and DH was 65. We moved halfway across the country for my job and he retired. He was in advertising so you can imagine how dim his job prospects would have been. He was a very supportive stay-at-home husband, taking all the domestic stuff off my back (except the finances- I'm a control freak about that). He was also an amazing stepfather to DS. He died 2 years ago- an outcome I expected given the age difference and his chronic health issues- but it was a wonderful marriage.

I had 2 dating relationships when I was younger with much-older guys- a 34-year old when I was 21 and a 45-year old when I was 25. I don't think I was looking for a Daddy (my own is still alive and we have a good relationship) and I sure didn't need someone to pay my way and buy me stuff- I can do that on my own. I think I was just more mature for my age and more compatible with guys who had some history.

I'm 66 now and current BF is about to turn 68. I'm not messing with much-older guys at this age!
I love to hear about happy marriages! I'm sorry you lost your husband.

But you bring up another important point: we all get older, and a much older spouse gets even older. If we all dated older men, we'd eventually be hitting up the assisted living facilities to find someone.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:24 PM

999 posts, read 554,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
But you bring up another important point: we all get older, and a much older spouse gets even older. If we all dated older men, we'd eventually be hitting up the assisted living facilities to find someone.
That'd be cool. Some of those places are pretty luxurious lol.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:23 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Ugh you could've left the part about the infidelities and disrespecting boundaries out of it......we would've gotten your point.
What is funny is many American Women love French culture with the exception of the Polyamorous sentiment in the country.

The concept of fidelity and marriage being for love and not business is VERY new, along with the concept of dating and marrying your own age...A couple of thousand years ago it was EXPECTED for a Woman to marry a Man 20 years her Senior....And it was expected for that Man to have multiple wives and provide for them all. (when it was economically feasible of course)

Now people think they can distance themselves from tens of thousands of years of hunter gatherer habits. Sorry biology doesn't work that way. Try again 10,000 years from now

Old 03-29-2019, 06:02 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,847,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
What is funny is many American Women love French culture with the exception of the Polyamorous sentiment in the country.

The concept of fidelity and marriage being for love and not business is VERY new, along with the concept of dating and marrying your own age...A couple of thousand years ago it was EXPECTED for a Woman to marry a Man 20 years her Senior....And it was expected for that Man to have multiple wives and provide for them all. (when it was economically feasible of course)

Now people think they can distance themselves from tens of thousands of years of hunter gatherer habits. Sorry biology doesn't work that way. Try again 10,000 years from now
I see. Well, if biology "works" that way, how many wives half your age do you have? Somehow, I'm getting the impression that "biology" isn't cooperating for you.

And, if "biology" says that I should be with a man 20 years my senior, why do I have no interest in men 20 years my senior? I must be an aberration of nature.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:38 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
For other people? No. For me? Yes.

When just dating to have fun I've done 10 years younger, and it was fun, but I never was 100% comfortable with it.

For others? Go for it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-29-2019, 07:51 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
To me it depends on the age of the younger person.

Is that person 30 and the other person 41? No big deal

But if the younger person is 19 and the older person 30 - maybe an issue.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:56 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think it's those middle years that are fine, the young side and the older side is where we can potentially have problems.
I agree.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:47 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,597,279 times
Quote:
Vous avez raison Tencent, Auraliea may have been right about my post # 54, perhaps my confessed infidelities weren’t necessary to get my point across, my bad.
However, my Gallic blood compels me to defend my apparent offence of ignoring boundaries.
I have never crossed the line and hit on a married woman, I have had one or two married women over the years who’ve made no secret of the fact that that they’d be open to an approach, but I’ve bitten my lip and turned away.
However, an engagement ring is just a very strong indication that marriage is contemplated.
When I met the woman who is now my wife, she was engaged, if her intended was the man for her, she’d have told me to get lost when I suggested dinner or drinks.
She didn’t, she gave me her number, and said, “Give me time to think about it.”
I remember my dad, when I was around 13, I was crazy about a girl in school, he said, “She’ll say maybe, but she means keep asking, don’t push too hard, take it easy, talk to her in French, she’ll love it, and you will win eventually.”

Old 03-29-2019, 08:55 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
Quote:

Not having much luck with women eh? Aww, sorry to see that.

What are you even babbling about this time? People like you crack me up, trying to tell others how they feel while making inaccurate sweeping generalizations. It's even more hilarious when they try to bring biology into it as if they are an expert. It's kind of pathetic really. This is 2019, not the 19th century or 2000 BC, time to wake up and get with the program.

All you did was give a great example of the naturalistic fallacy. Nice try though.

Run along and play with your cavemen dolls now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Vous avez raison Tencent, Auraliea may have been right about my post # 54, perhaps my confessed infidelities weren’t necessary to get my point across, my bad.
However, my Gallic blood compels me to defend my apparent offence of ignoring boundaries.
I have never crossed the line and hit on a married woman, I have had one or two married women over the years who’ve made no secret of the fact that that they’d be open to an approach, but I’ve bitten my lip and turned away.
However, an engagement ring is just a very strong indication that marriage is contemplated.
When I met the woman who is now my wife, she was engaged, if her intended was the man for her, she’d have told me to get lost when I suggested dinner or drinks.
She didn’t, she gave me her number, and said, “Give me time to think about it.”
I remember my dad, when I was around 13, I was crazy about a girl in school, he said, “She’ll say maybe, but she means keep asking, don’t push too hard, take it easy, talk to her in French, she’ll love it, and you will win eventually.”
Yeah yeah, I don't care anything about that, or your reasons. To be quite frank.

I just hope you'd keep/kept that same energy if/when someone felt the need to move in on someone you love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships