Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 07:22 AM

1,210 posts, read 889,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Arms Length View Post
Don’t hit on women on the job (either them on the job or you on the job). Especially for service and retail, being nice to you is part of their job, and approaching her at her job means she can’t get away from you.
Hit on women on the job. If you don't and they would have like to go out with you, you lost an opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 07:32 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Serious answer.

These are your problems:
- you don't know whether she's single
- you know nothing about her, except that she's cute and possibly has a pleasant demeanor (which is her job)
- she knows nothing about you

These are your options:
1. Talk about appliances. She will be in sales mode, so you won't learn much about her, and this is kind of dishonest (or expensive, if she's good at her job lol)
2. Make unrelated small talk. This is asking her to neglect her job, and may get her in trouble for fraternizing with a customer.
3. Straight up ask her out / ask her # / give her your #. Good luck.
4. Forget about her and move on with your life.

IMO there's nothing wrong with 3 if you accept the extremely low likelihood of success. 1 and 2 both have the potential to be awkward/creepy; I would avoid unless you are skilled at reading people and objective enough to back off and leave her alone as soon as you detect discomfort or disinterest on her part.
This is all right on. The OP hasn't even talked to this woman, so from her perspective, he wouldn't be that guy she clicked with the other night, he'd be some random person asking for her number out of the blue while she's at work. OP can pump himself up listening to internet dudes telling him that it's his right as a man to take what he wants, but he also needs to be realistic about what's probably going to happen.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:35 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Hit on women on the job. If you don't and they would have like to go out with you, you lost an opportunity.
Yeah, I get a kick out of people who come up with excuses NOT to approach someone.

"Don't approach a woman at the gym, she's there to work out"

"Don't approach a woman at work, she's there...to work"

"Don't approach a woman shopping, she's there to shop"

I could go on... lol

Old 07-24-2019, 07:39 AM

1,593 posts, read 776,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yeah, I get a kick out of people who come up with excuses NOT to approach someone.

"Don't approach a woman at the gym, she's there to work out"

"Don't approach a woman at work, she's there...to work"

"Don't approach a woman shopping, she's there to shop"

I could go on... lol
Except the people I’ve beard these “excuses” from are...women. I can show you miles of comments like these from women.

I mean, the truth is, if a woman likes you, you’re good to ask her out wherever. But, service sector employees are specifically trained to make you like them, and make you think they like you.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:39 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is all right on. The OP hasn't even talked to this woman, so from her perspective, he wouldn't be that guy she clicked with the other night, he'd be some random person asking for her number out of the blue while she's at work. OP can pump himself up listening to internet dudes telling him that it's his right as a man to take what he wants, but he also needs to be realistic about what's probably going to happen.
Yeah I honestly hated when guys would ask for my number or check me out while I was at work. In his mind he has all the information he needs about me, while I have no idea. I get the "you miss 100% of the chances you don't take," but you can still take calculated risks. And based on this particular calculation, the odds are very low. But OP, can do what he wants. Just be weigh the outcomes before making a decision.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:44 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
All the OP knows is that she is cute.

He doesn't know if she's rude or weird or dumb or snobby. He hasn't even heard her voice, really.

They are total strangers. The most he could do is speak to her, about something benign at the store, then be clever enough to flip the conversation to the personal side to see if she goes along with it.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:09 AM

1,210 posts, read 889,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
And based on this particular calculation, the odds are very low. But OP, can do what he wants. Just be weigh the outcomes before making a decision.
Why would they be low? And besides, there's nothing to lose; The more hooks in the sea, the more likelihood to catch a fish.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:40 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,488 times
Unless you're very good looking she'll probably think it's weird that some random guy is asking for her number out of the blue. It's just not how it works in the real world. Real life isn't some sitcom

Old 07-24-2019, 12:14 PM

1,138 posts, read 449,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
i went out today to get a couple of things at lowes and i saw this cute girl that does applicanes and i couldnt talk to her and i wanted to ask for her number because she was talking to a coworker and i let it go because it's embarassing and i went around to look at things and i came back again and she was with a customer so i couldnt bother her and i went home.

so when i come back again and if i see her again, what do i say to her?

For the life of me I have never understood folks who make things so complicated. Skip all the stupid come on lines, the smart sounding humor and the awkward small talk. Just go up and asked her if she would like to have some coffee or dinner some time and offer your number. Then shut up, don't hang around looking weird or creepy, and wait and see what happens. If she is interested you will know sooner or later. Don't kill it trying to close the deal after a 30 second conversation.

The worst that happens is you are right back where you started. If she has a boyfriend/husband you will know instantly, and if she gives you a polite negative reply, whatever you do don't sit there and try to change her mind. That goes from OK to scary for girls quick if they think they just picked up a stalker.

Best case, you get a text or call. If you do, again don't push and rush. Let her get to know you and vice versa. Remember she may be pretty, but that doesn't mean she is the one for you. And, she may be looking, but that doesn't mean you are the one she is looking for either.

Quit over thinking and quit stressing. Just be yourself and honest.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 981,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
For the life of me I have never understood folks who make things so complicated. Skip all the stupid come on lines, the smart sounding humor and the awkward small talk. Just go up and asked her if she would like to have some coffee or dinner some time and offer your number. Then shut up, don't hang around looking weird or creepy, and wait and see what happens. If she is interested you will know sooner or later. Don't kill it trying to close the deal after a 30 second conversation.

The worst that happens is you are right back where you started. If she has a boyfriend/husband you will know instantly, and if she gives you a polite negative reply, whatever you do don't sit there and try to change her mind. That goes from OK to scary for girls quick if they think they just picked up a stalker.

Best case, you get a text or call. If you do, again don't push and rush. Let her get to know you and vice versa. Remember she may be pretty, but that doesn't mean she is the one for you. And, she may be looking, but that doesn't mean you are the one she is looking for either.

Quit over thinking and quit stressing. Just be yourself and honest.
Are you actually saying he should go up to a person he has never talked to and ask her out to coffee? What do you think will be the outcome of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships