Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 07:34 AM

186 posts, read 95,054 times

Advertisements

Serious question. I would like to know other's experiences, male or female, and how you dealt with it. In my case, it is my wife. She started dressing more frumpy these last two years, won't do her hair, and sometimes won't shower for longer than I'd prefer. I have tried to be gentle and very softly push..."hey, I love it when you get your done, so make an appt" or "let's get dressed up and go on a date this week, even if it's at the house after the kids are asleep" or "man I love it when you wear such and such or do your hair a certain way". I dunno....been married 11 years and I love her and don't have wandering eyes, but I am really struggling and losing interest. I will not cheat, never. That is not my MO, but I also know that I am waning in attraction and it scares me.

I am sure anyone would say, "well what are YOU doing to stay kept or in shape"? I do Crossfit and S/C 5 days a week. That has been its own source of tension for us. Yes, she has the time and ability to go do so herself. She used to be a personal trainer LOL.... I manscape, shower daily, and don't dress like a dork LOL....she always tells me how good looking I am, almost to the point of awkwardness for me. So, I "think" I am doing my part. I get pretty jealous of couples that work out together or go to a CrossFit gym together. There are many at mine.

I am really not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to deal with a real issue that I know other couples deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 07:58 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
It seems like there might be something going on with her mentally. Depression, maybe? Start with a physical check up.

You don’t really give enough info. Do you have kids? Does she take care of them and the house the same way she used to? Do her friends or family notice anything?

Old 10-09-2022, 08:02 AM

186 posts, read 95,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It seems like there might be something going on with her mentally. Depression, maybe? Start with a physical check up.

You don’t really give enough info. Do you have kids? Does she take care of them and the house the same way she used to? Do her friends or family notice anything?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think depression is the obvious answer, but getting her to do something about it is another monster. We have two younger kids (6 and 11) that I offer to take all the time so she can have a day to herself to pamper, etc.... I have offered countless times to move our schedule so she can go to the gym and have her time, but it's excuse after excuse. I guess I know the answer....just wonder what others have done or what else I can do. I am at a loss, and she and I have discussed it at length. I end up feeling kind of stupid and bad for even saying anything.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:05 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
It's great that you're talking , but if she really is stressed or depressed or anxious, ask her what she needs to do to feel better about herself. It might not be the same thing as what you think that she needs--maybe it's not pampering and the gym at all.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 10-09-2022 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-09-2022, 09:02 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH283 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think depression is the obvious answer, but getting her to do something about it is another monster. We have two younger kids (6 and 11) that I offer to take all the time so she can have a day to herself to pamper, etc.... I have offered countless times to move our schedule so she can go to the gym and have her time, but it's excuse after excuse. I guess I know the answer....just wonder what others have done or what else I can do. I am at a loss, and she and I have discussed it at length. I end up feeling kind of stupid and bad for even saying anything.
If you have discussed this issue at length what does she say?

Old 10-09-2022, 09:39 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
How old is your wife?
with 2 kids,6 and 11,I assume she is in early 40s? or late 30s?
Menopause can hit a woman as early as 30s.
Depression could be another reason,same old same old routine at home,she does not feel challenged or feel creative?
Does she still cook family meals.shop for grocery ,do laundry and clean house?
Not taking a bath or shower for days is bad news ,my uncle after his wife past away would not take bath,change underwear,change clothes !

Old 10-09-2022, 09:47 AM

I know a woman who married a man,his attitude towards workout is to sit down until the idea goes away.
Not everyone wants to expand energy heaving and puffing in a gym,what for??
Rice farmers in Thailand,coolie rickshaw drivers in India and China would agree!
try some new ideas-

Old 10-09-2022, 09:50 AM

may be take her to some fancy place where women dress up and she feels ashamed of her own appearance !

Old 10-09-2022, 11:43 AM

589 posts, read 323,259 times
You should offer to take the kids and do all the housework as soon as you get home and give her copious free time to go fulfill herself and perhaps start working part time. She will probably spiff herself up to attract employers and clientele. Show her how it’s done- keep up all childcare and housework and be fashionable, with good hair and grooming.

Old 10-09-2022, 12:02 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH283 View Post
Serious question. I would like to know other's experiences, male or female, and how you dealt with it. In my case, it is my wife. She started dressing more frumpy these last two years, won't do her hair, and sometimes won't shower for longer than I'd prefer. I have tried to be gentle and very softly push..."hey, I love it when you get your done, so make an appt" or "let's get dressed up and go on a date this week, even if it's at the house after the kids are asleep" or "man I love it when you wear such and such or do your hair a certain way". I dunno....been married 11 years and I love her and don't have wandering eyes, but I am really struggling and losing interest. I will not cheat, never. That is not my MO, but I also know that I am waning in attraction and it scares me.

I am sure anyone would say, "well what are YOU doing to stay kept or in shape"? I do Crossfit and S/C 5 days a week. That has been its own source of tension for us. Yes, she has the time and ability to go do so herself. She used to be a personal trainer LOL.... I manscape, shower daily, and don't dress like a dork LOL....she always tells me how good looking I am, almost to the point of awkwardness for me. So, I "think" I am doing my part. I get pretty jealous of couples that work out together or go to a CrossFit gym together. There are many at mine.

I am really not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to deal with a real issue that I know other couples deal with.
These past two years have been rough for a lot of people as well as hard on their interpersonal relationships. Does your wife work from home? I only ask because I wonder if that got her into the groove of not taking her usual care with her personal hygiene and appearance as well as perhaps causing some emotional issues as in person work can sometimes be a social outlet in a way that working from home is not.

I can also say that depression or just a feeling of general malaise could be an underlying cause of these changes in your wife. It's not easy either being the person who's personally dealing with depression or the person/people who care for the person who's dealing with depression. (I've had experience with both roles; neither is easy with easy, pat solutions.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships