Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
All these will be much easier to do if there is a legal, licensed trade.
I concur. The issues that we see with prostitution is because it is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:20 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times
Quote:
Can SugarDaddy.com be far behind? Expect a decline in female college enrolment next fall!
lmao, that site is absolutely hilarious.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,435,653 times
Quote:
Like a little bit pregnant?

The real issue is addictive drugs. 90% of the problems with prostitution are because of the stupid war on drugs. All these addicts desperate for a fix, doing whatever they need to do to raise some money and spreading disease or getting bumped off by serial killers.

So this is a government created problem. The other 10 percent is also government created. By making prostitution illegal, it brings in the unsavory elements - the underworld, even when addicts are not involved. This was the main reason that Spitzer attracted attention - his association with the underworld - something a governor should not be doing.

Just can the stupid morality and admit that nothing has ever been successful at controlling prostitution in the past. Concentrate scarce resources on harm reduction like reducing STDs, stopping the trafficking of women and preventing the under aged from entering the trade.

All these will be much easier to do if there is a legal, licensed trade.
I agree with what you are saying, but do you beleive, that the government can stop the "underworld" leaders from making a profit from this type of "business"? What I think is that the prostitutes will be safer, as well as the clients, but at the price of paying the government a portion, as in taxes, and also the underworld, because these women will continue to be abused by the simple fact that they are prostitutes. So instead of dealing with only the underworld, they will have a new pimp---the federal governement.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I agree with what you are saying, but do you beleive, that the government can stop the "underworld" leaders from making a profit from this type of "business"? What I think is that the prostitutes will be safer, as well as the clients, but at the price of paying the government a portion, as in taxes, and also the underworld, because these women will continue to be abused by the simple fact that they are prostitutes. So instead of dealing with only the underworld, they will have a new pimp---the federal governement.
wouldn't that be appropriate? after all, the government often scr*ws people anyway...

Old 05-14-2009, 08:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
If everyone would just have sex with their partners regularly, there would be no need for prostitutes.
Problem is, lots of guys can't find partners. I mean, I never had a problem, but most ugly dudes aren't as lucky as me. In all seriousness, there is a need for sex workers for this reason alone.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:41 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
Legalizing prostitution would mean licensing, regular checkups, etc., probably much like it's done in Nevada today. And as in Nevada, most prostitution would still occur outside the legal brothels. No, I don't think legalizing prostitution would eliminate the underworld's hold on it, but it should eliminate its hold on those who go the legal route.

I think Nevada could stop a lot of its unlawful prostitution by legalizing it throughout the state, rather than keeping it illegal in Vegas. I don't know why Nevada doesn't legalize it there. It seems to me that's where they need controls the most.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
wouldn't that be appropriate? after all, the government often scr*ws people anyway...
Yeah. The governement wants everything. So it would probably be safer to be a prostitute and client, but at the price of losing most of the money earned. And the customers, do they get a tax break from the IRS? I don't think so.

It would be so much better if the governement stopped ripping everybody off in the first place.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Legalizing prostitution would mean licensing, regular checkups, etc., probably much like it's done in Nevada today. And as in Nevada, most prostitution would still occur outside the legal brothels. No, I don't think legalizing prostitution would eliminate the underworld's hold on it, but it should eliminate its hold on those who go the legal route.

I think Nevada could stop a lot of its unlawful prostitution by legalizing it throughout the state, rather than keeping it illegal in Vegas. I don't know why Nevada doesn't legalize it there. It seems to me that's where they need controls the most.
yes, legalizing it would allow 100% focus on the seedy side instead of going after the dude who can't get laid and the chick who is making some extra cash

Old 05-14-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

Las Vegas is where the underworld is. So legalizing it there would cut into the earnings.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I consider Craigslist to be the online version of a telephone pole that people staple notices on. Garage sale. Lost dog. Babysitting services. Boat for sale. What people say on their flyers is up to them and reasonably policed by the neighborhood. The hooker standing by the telephone pole is shooed away, or someone calls the cops. No problem.

I've used Craigslist for years to sell stuff. It's a great place to find rental housing and jobs. It's a pretty self-regulated community, and I think it's asinine for the government to get involved in a private company
There's already been a number of murders of prostitutes that advertised their services on Craigslist. I think that's the reason they're pulling the prostitution ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships