Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:01 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Las Vegas is where the underworld is. So legalizing it there would cut into the earnings.
I'd thought of that. But I'd be a little surprised to learn that it's the big boys involved in street prostitution. Big bordellos, on the other hand, could be a cash cow for big corporations. No?

You could be right; I just hate to think that's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 09:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I concur. The issues that we see with prostitution is because it is illegal.
It's also dangerous because you can't make sex with strangers completely safe. Craigslist keeps showing up in the news for it's dead prostitutes and that's not going over too well.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's also dangerous because you can't make sex with strangers completely safe. Craigslist keeps showing up in the news for it's dead prostitutes and that's not going over too well.
Indeed but you can make it safer. A hooker can't call the cops if there is something wrong. She cannot do her job in a sanctioned brothel that would provide security.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,437,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I'd thought of that. But I'd be a little surprised to learn that it's the big boys involved in street prostitution. Big bordellos, on the other hand, could be a cash cow for big corporations. No?

You could be right; I just hate to think that's the case.
Las Vegas is such a city for profit, that maybe these women are there for a bigger purpose, like getting the clients to take them to a hotel. The client pays, and the revenues go to the hotel owner. I really don't know why not, I am specualting. I will think about your logic further.

I would like to add that in the US having a brothel is not as much a profit as in other countries because of the excessive taxation . Everything needs to be just so and everyone needs a license. Money here, money there. Its a pain .

Old 05-14-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Indeed but you can make it safer. A hooker can't call the cops if there is something wrong. She cannot do her job in a sanctioned brothel that would provide security.
Yes, even a prostitute with a pimp is safer than the recent prostitutes we all read about that went off on their own on Craigslist. A pimp will for no other reason try to keep his stable safe from harm or it cuts into his profits. A brothel also provides some security for the prostitutes - same reason, it doesn't pay to have the customers snuffing out the money-makers.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
The problem for the prostitutes though -- they can work in the brothels or for a pimp as long as they're young or keep bringing in the customers. Once they're over the hill or drugs have messed them up too much, and they no longer make much money, they end up on their own and once on their own they no longer have their "protector".

Craigslist isn't a good pimp or brothel because it's not going to beat up someone who harms it's prostitutes. It takes no responsibility at all for them.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem for the prostitutes though -- they can work in the brothels or for a pimp as long as they're young or keep bringing in the customers. Once they're over the hill or drugs have messed them up too much, and they no longer make much money, they end up on their own and once on their own they no longer have their "protector".

Craigslist isn't a good pimp or brothel because it's not going to beat up someone who harms it's prostitutes. It takes no responsibility at all for them.
but if legal everything will be regulated to the nth degree a women would no longer feel the need to sell herself on craigslist the reason why women do that is because it helps them hide their identity since they are scared of cops and because it's safer then walking the streets

Prostitution in Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The precise licensing requirements vary by county. License fees for brothels range from an annual $100,000 in Storey County to an annual $200 in Lander County. Licensed prostitutes must be at least 21 years old, except in Storey County and Lyon County (where the minimum age is 18).
Nevada law requires that registered brothel prostitutes be tested weekly (by a cervical specimen) for gonorrhea and Chlamydia trachomatis, and monthly for HIV and syphilis[7];

furthermore, condoms are mandatory for all oral sex and sexual intercourse. Brothel owners may be held liable if customers become infected with HIV after a prostitute has tested positive for the virus.[8]

Women work a legally mandated minimum of nine days for each work period.[9] Post-op transsexuals cannot become prostitutes because of the cervical specimen requirement.

Nevada has laws against engaging in prostitution outside of licensed brothels, against encouraging others to become prostitutes, and against living off the proceeds of a prostitute.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
but if legal everything will be regulated to the nth degree a women would no longer feel the need to sell herself on craigslist the reason why women do that is because it helps them hide their identity since they are scared of cops and because it's safer then walking the streets

Prostitution in Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They also advertise on Craigslist figuring that by eliminating the middleman aka pimp, they get to keep more of the money. I don't think most fear cops at all. I think they turned to Craigslist because for one they could and it seems like an easy way to sell whatever without a third party trying to take a cut of the profits.

In most cities, prostitution goes on and the cops don't do much about it. Pimps and their streetwalkers operate openly. Most cities have strip clubs where the prostitutes work and also have protection but have to split the profits. It's probably wiser to give up some of the profits. It's like the truck stop prostitutes who will hop from truck stop to truck stop with anyone who wants to buy them -- it's dangerous.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:12 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
I checked CL today, and it's starting to disappear ...

But they also will be adding a new "adult services" section. There's no sort of filter you can place so you get all kinds ... I mean all kinds ...

As for the suspect people, I will admit that there was one time I used CL to look for a "companion" just before my marriage. My buddies all pitched in and said "enjoy, cuz this is the last girl you'll see besides your wife for the rest of your life!"

I went on CL and a couple other websites and then thought ... "This is stupid. I've been dating the same girl two years now and it's great, I don't have protected sex anymore so it's unlikely I'll be able to perform, I don't have to worry about STDs, she's cute as hell, and loves me and I love her. Why would I have sex with anyone else?"

So I returned the money. And to be honest there weren't that many on there that I'd consider having sex with, even for free consentually. There were one or two that I would, and one in particular who I wouldn't have minded paying for if I were more easily tempted ... but something in me is just totally against paying for something that should be free. I never had to pay for it and never had issues getting girls anyway ... and the codewords and stuff they all use was totally confusing. No disrespect to the girls who are just trying to make a buck before they go out in the real world or through circumstance and bad luck got where they are, just not for me, and I suspect, not for 99% of men out there.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:28 AM

50 posts, read 248,355 times
Personally, I think that the US should make prostitutio legal. It happened here in New Zealand about 5 year ago, and the sky did not fall in. The number of prostitutes stayed about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships