U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-14-2009, 02:15 AM
 
3,853 posts, read 11,410,647 times
Reputation: 2503

Advertisements

Pretty interesting read. If anyone has used craigslist you know it is loaded with prostitutes openly offering their services in the erotic section. The new section they have to replace it will be called adult services and will supposedly will only be for people offering legal adult services (whatever that means). The article does note that this could to the prostitutes just moving to less regulated areas of the site, such as the casual encounters. Which, if you ask me, is exactly what is going to happen.

However, an interesting question is we already have the laws in place to stop prostitution. Prostitution is just like the war on drugs. We bust people for selling drugs so why don't we just start busting prostitutes for soliciting illegal services? Seems like by having them use craigslist we know where they are offering their services, start by doing undercover operations to stop them in their tracks. If someone was selling drugs on craigslist, we wouldn't go after craigslist, we would go after that drug dealer. We should do the same for prostitutes.

Craigslist gives in, will shut down Erotic Services section - Ars Technica
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2009, 03:26 AM
 
Location: In my skin
8,811 posts, read 13,816,608 times
Reputation: 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Pretty interesting read. If anyone has used craigslist you know it is loaded with prostitutes openly offering their services in the erotic section. The new section they have to replace it will be called adult services and will supposedly will only be for people offering legal adult services (whatever that means). The article does note that this could to the prostitutes just moving to less regulated areas of the site, such as the casual encounters. Which, if you ask me, is exactly what is going to happen.

However, an interesting question is we already have the laws in place to stop prostitution. Prostitution is just like the war on drugs. We bust people for selling drugs so why don't we just start busting prostitutes for soliciting illegal services? Seems like by having them use craigslist we know where they are offering their services, start by doing undercover operations to stop them in their tracks. If someone was selling drugs on craigslist, we wouldn't go after craigslist, we would go after that drug dealer. We should do the same for prostitutes.

Craigslist gives in, will shut down Erotic Services section - Ars Technica
There have already been several busts on CL. Here's one:

2nd escort service arrest made | Bryan/College Station, Texas - The Eagle (http://www.theeagle.com/crime/2nd-escort-service-arrest-made - broken link)

If they're smart, they'll know that escorting is, in fact, legal. I don't know about all states, but you can actually obtain a license to be an escort.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 03:38 AM
 
10,996 posts, read 11,121,128 times
Reputation: 8355
Craig should take the matter to court.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,911,068 times
Reputation: 42368
I consider Craigslist to be the online version of a telephone pole that people staple notices on. Garage sale. Lost dog. Babysitting services. Boat for sale. What people say on their flyers is up to them and reasonably policed by the neighborhood. The hooker standing by the telephone pole is shooed away, or someone calls the cops. No problem.

I've used Craigslist for years to sell stuff. It's a great place to find rental housing and jobs. It's a pretty self-regulated community, and I think it's asinine for the government to get involved in a private company
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
19,987 posts, read 20,465,642 times
Reputation: 20355
I imagine going after each prostitute individually would be time and $$ intensive. It makes more sense to stop the advertisement and make it more difficult get the services out there. IMO they should just legalize prostitution.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 08:01 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 34,911,068 times
Reputation: 42368
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I imagine going after each prostitute individually would be time and $$ intensive. It makes more sense to stop the advertisement and make it more difficult get the services out there. IMO they should just legalize prostitution.
I don't. I just don't agree that Craig is responsible for what people post on his telephone pole.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
19,987 posts, read 20,465,642 times
Reputation: 20355
As a business I do believe you are to some extent responsible for regulating your business activities insomuch as you are aiding in harm to another or breaking the law.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 AM
 
Location: In my skin
8,811 posts, read 13,816,608 times
Reputation: 8701
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I consider Craigslist to be the online version of a telephone pole that people staple notices on. Garage sale. Lost dog. Babysitting services. Boat for sale. What people say on their flyers is up to them and reasonably policed by the neighborhood. The hooker standing by the telephone pole is shooed away, or someone calls the cops. No problem.

I've used Craigslist for years to sell stuff. It's a great place to find rental housing and jobs. It's a pretty self-regulated community, and I think it's asinine for the government to get involved in a private company
I agree. There are websites dedicated to escorts. They don't allow advertising of sex for sale. I don't see anyone trying to shut them down. Once they make these changes, they shouldn't get much more grief, otherwise they'd probably have some kind of legal remedy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 08:40 AM
 
48,787 posts, read 39,288,230 times
Reputation: 30442
Well, there goes my side job!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2009, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
19,987 posts, read 20,465,642 times
Reputation: 20355
Quote:
Well, there goes my side job!
Mathguy, when your 2-3 hr. session reputation gets around you will get plenty of business.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top