Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:11 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times

Advertisements

I don't blame importerswife for marrying her one bit, good decision on his part. Same with MLV's hubby.

Great renovation on the house btw Importerswife, my shower looks similar to your's but I haven't finished yet, too busy being a irresponsible single guy tehehe.

Hey nothing wrong with marriage if it is true love and you feel judgement wise you made a good call. People who marry just for the sake of a trophy or because they think they must be married so they aren't alone I don't agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 12:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
You know, there's nothing sadder than an aging single guy with no kids. Just saying.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, there's nothing sadder than an aging single guy with no kids. Just saying.
Really? Why should kids define someone's life?

Old 11-12-2009, 01:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Really? Why should kids define someone's life?

All depends on your perspective. While I agree that I would never want to be an old, single, childless guy, and that my most important gig on this earth is father, I don't expect every person to agree with me.

Some men should not be fathers, and some women should not be mothers.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:14 PM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Then stay single, get yourself a blow up doll and have a happy life!
why should one get a blow-up doll?
I understand the "stay single" part...
but the blow-up doll?

Old 11-12-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The benefit is that "marriage" is a civil contract giving both parties legal recourse.

Some of the benefits are
joint parenting;
joint adoption;
joint foster care, custody, and visitation (including non-biological parents);
status as next-of-kin for hospital visits and medical decisions where one partner is too ill to be competent;
joint insurance policies for home, auto and health;
dissolution and divorce protections such as community property and child support;
immigration and residency for partners from other countries; inheritance automatically in the absence of a will;
joint leases with automatic renewal rights in the event one partner dies or leaves the house or apartment;
inheritance of jointly-owned real and personal property through the right of survivorship (which avoids the time and expense and taxes in probate);
benefits such as annuities, pension plans, Social Security, and Medicare;
spousal exemptions to property tax increases upon the death of one partner who is a co-owner of the home;
veterans' discounts on medical care, education, and home loans; joint filing of tax returns;
joint filing of customs claims when traveling;
wrongful death benefits for a surviving partner and children; bereavement or sick leave to care for a partner or child;
decision-making power with respect to whether a deceased partner will be cremated or not and where to bury him or her;
crime victims' recovery benefits;
loss of consortium tort benefits;
domestic violence protection orders;
judicial protections and evidentiary immunity;

You dont have to be married to cheat. You dont have to be married to take someone to court for your share of assests.
Excellent post - now this is the type of analysis that I am looking for.
You even addressed the fact that you can take your unmarried partner to court for a share of assets.

Well done!

Old 11-12-2009, 01:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
but the blow-up doll?
Well, there is an age when the women are not going to want to sleep with you anymore, at least not for free anyway.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:19 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times
Quote:
That was just an example... honestly it doesn't matter if he's rich.
Even if both were making the same amount of contribution to the family net worth, there is still no benefit to men.
Quote:
but the blow-up doll?

I said get a blow up doll because according to you, even if a woman provides equal monetary contribution to the family, you see no benefit. So I ask...why bother with a woman at all?

Old 11-12-2009, 01:24 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
I'm a woman, and I can't understand the benefit of getting married either, other than insurance benefits and not having to have a will that explicitly gives everything to my partner. However, for my husband's family marriage seemed to mean more...so we gave in and married last year, after 7 years of being together good as married. Whatever. Being a "Mrs" is still weird to me.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I said get a blow up doll because according to you, even if a woman provides equal monetary contribution to the family, you see no benefit. So I ask...why bother with a woman at all?
Well you could turn it around and say even if a woman does not provide equal monetary contribution, does that mean there is no benefit?

To be clear about this thread, I was saying there is no benefit to marriage for men.
But that doesn't mean that I am against having a girlfriend/partner for the rest of my life.
Honestly, I hope my present relationship with the girl is the one that lasts a lifetime, but when and if we'll be married, I have no idea... hence the question about benefits.

In any case, 2mares wrote an excellent well-informed summary of the benefits. As long as there is love, commitment, and trust, those benefits have some value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships