Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:22 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,839,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue2007 View Post
How come you save all of your wrath for Christians? Why aren't Jews ever attacked by atheists? Maybe this topic deserves it's own thread.
There you go throwing the Jews (or anyone else) under the bus again. So since you feel attacked it will make things much better for you if someone else gets "attacked"? Thats nice.

And for the record I don't see the debates and opinions here as attacks. People tend to discuss most frequently what is presented to them right in their face...and for the most part that is Christianity.

I honestly can't remember the last time a Muslim, Jew, or Buddhist came to my door and told me I was going to hell in a handbasket or told me that my brother is a sinner for being in love with another *gasp* man. Maybe the other religions feel that way but they are not making a point to my face and walking around high and mighty. Thats just not been my experience.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:37 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,692 times
Op doesnt believe and nobody is forcing him to do so.pointless thread.
I have never in my life had anyone force religon on me or tell me im going to hell and..
Im living in the bible belt.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:41 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,839,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I have never in my life had anyone force religon on me or tell me im going to hell and..
Im living in the bible belt.
Could that be because you are a Christian already?

Old 10-07-2010, 05:02 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Ahem. It's the Religion and Philosophy forum.

Aaaaaaaaand...let's get down to the nitty-gritty REALITY around here.

More than 9 out of 10 of the posts by TAC (The Atheist Crew) on this board (including the OP of this thread) have EVERYTHING to do with RELIGION.

Typical of those backed into a corner and exposed for what they REALLY are, to cite the rare exception as an argument against what they have been called on.

What a joke!...say that you only want talk of religion in church, and nothing about it "in public"...in a post to open a thread you are putting up on a PUBLIC (WORLDWIDE no less) internet forum, where you've spent THOUSANDS of hours reading and writing about RELIGION!!!!!--------WOW! LMAO!!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:26 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Here's a very small example of what Christianity and the government conspired to do to the nativepeople of this land.

YouTube - Indian Boarding School Plan,

YouTube - Our Spirits Don't Speak English: Indian Boarding School,

YouTube - Indian Boarding School Abuse
I submit...control of this land should be GIVEN BACK to the nativepeople.

If the wisdom they display on this board is any indication...they'd do a much better job at running things than the shysters that have been running it.

By what "right" did the "Early Settlers" and "Founding Fathers" take it in the first place? None I can see.

Sorry for the Off Topic. But "We're so sorry" is inadequate. What's THAT do? We should restore their rightful control...NOW!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:39 PM

430 posts, read 583,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
[/b]I didn't know one could throw the creator of the universe out of anywhere, much less a classroom.
A classically funny but logical comment that only comes along once in a long while! It sort of bites the illogical Christian mind that berthed it in the first place. Thanks!

And then this insightful observation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
What you call "godliness" amounts to Christian self-righteousness and snobbery. There's nothing Godly or moral about Christianity, which is likely why those guns, drugs and teenage pregnancies are more prevalent in so-called "Godly" conservative Christian communities.
Regarding a so-called positive viewpoint to be taken away from the decimation of the Native American culture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank316 View Post
And a nation was born.
Yes, a nation guided by a self-centered philosophy of "Manifest Destiny" that has created one of the most wasteful, belligerent, arrogant and consumeristic cultures imaginable. very little of it to be proud of. in it's earler years, it seemed to be productive and economically forward-looking, but it is consuming itself at an exponential pace. The end-result will be a revolt for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
... a time when people had a lot more love of God, country and their fellow man. It seems to me, as if we need to go back to the days when religion was more prominent in the classroom, than guns, drugs and teenage pregnancies. Never forget that by throwing God out of the classroom, Godliness has been scrapped too!
How vastly but typically myopic! You do realize, of course, that the population of all of N. America (incl. Canada & Mexico), in 1940, was about 150M total, don't you? About 35% of what it is now, and now we also consume vastly more energy, produce vastly more waste products, expect vastly more for ourselves and simply won't tolerate the urgent global needs of others who don't have the military or economic power we think we wield.

Communication was infrequent, mostly by letter and very limited AM radio. No internet, no digital long distance phone calling, no satellites, no i-Phones or Blackberries, no movies via your cell phone, no FaceBook or Twitter; nothing like today. (I know, you'll call all those things 'of the devil' simply because some Christian disciple says so, and it's immensely simplistic....)

Fact: You simply cannot accurately compare the culture of the 1940s with that of 2010 and conclude that "if only we were all Christian & devotedly religious, all this would be soooo much better!" Logically vacuous beyond comprehension!

We westerners are all products of that Anglo-Western Empire building, imperialistic and religiously defined and driven Manifest Destiny Crap for sure. Religion, with the possible exception of Buddhism, is always self-serving and arrogant beyond belief. It exists solely to promote itself and it's power over an imagined congregation, nothing more. Simpleton minds buy into this wholeheartedly because it requires no independent thought (and in fact it constantly strives to smother such thinking, see: the Intelligent Design debacle). They obviously prefer to have others do their thinking for them.

Accordingly, the resident native N. American indigenous culture just had to go. Anything associated with it was burned, buried, whipped or smothered.

Such arrogance should not go "unrewarded", IMHO. I join in a belated apology to all our native brethren. Realize that there are many of us Euro descendant white-eyes who share your hidden outrage.

Last edited by Shibumi; 10-07-2010 at 06:19 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 06:12 PM

430 posts, read 583,696 times
Default After careful review of those videos, I ask...

... why is it that Christianity is philosophically and culturally incapable of ever saying it's sorry. For pedophile preachers, for The Spanish Inquisition, for The Crusades, for their hideous and cruel treatment of indigenous peoples the world over (the native Hawaiians, the N. American Indians, the native Mexican Indians and Mayans, the proud African tribes... all of them seen as rabble o be stomped on and "converted". This is what defensive Christian posters here are envious of and would like to force on us "horrible, godless heathen atheists".

And in the end, why is it that they always look down their crooked noses at you and smirkingly, patronizingly, offer to forgive YOU?

Why?

Old 10-07-2010, 06:24 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
... why is it that Christianity is philosophically and culturally incapable of ever saying it's sorry. For pedophile preachers, for The Spanish Inquisition, for The Crusades, for their hideous and cruel treatment of indigenous peoples the world over (the native Hawaiians, the N. American Indians, the native Mexican Indians and Mayans, the proud African tribes... all of them seen as rabble o be stomped on and "converted". This is what defensive Christian posters here are envious of and would like to force on us "horrible, godless heathen atheists".

And in the end, why is it that they always look down their crooked noses at you and smirkingly, patronizingly, offer to forgive YOU?

Why?
Because it's a Prophet (profit) game.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:03 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Aaaaaaaaand...let's get down to the nitty-gritty REALITY around here.

More than 9 out of 10 of the posts by TAC (The Atheist Crew) on this board (including the OP of this thread) have EVERYTHING to do with RELIGION.

Typical of those backed into a corner and exposed for what they REALLY are, to cite the rare exception as an argument against what they have been called on.

What a joke!...say that you only want talk of religion in church, and nothing about it "in public"...in a post to open a thread you are putting up on a PUBLIC (WORLDWIDE no less) internet forum, where you've spent THOUSANDS of hours reading and writing about RELIGION!!!!!--------WOW! LMAO!!
Hey...I read your rule book. I know that all Christians are charged with the responsibility to "spread the good word," to "preach the gospel," to "save souls." I've lived in my house seventeen years and it's rather remote, a small group of houses on the lake...there has not been a year when young Mormons did not come to my door and most years a visit by Jehovah's witnesses. Look around...the first amendment is alive and well:

Old 10-08-2010, 07:24 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I submit...control of this land should be GIVEN BACK to the nativepeople.

If the wisdom they display on this board is any indication...they'd do a much better job at running things than the shysters that have been running it.

By what "right" did the "Early Settlers" and "Founding Fathers" take it in the first place? None I can see.

Sorry for the Off Topic. But "We're so sorry" is inadequate. What's THAT do? We should restore their rightful control...NOW!

I would if I could, it would be a more peaceful and meaningful life I think. If I had a time machine, it would be changed trust me. But since I cant and I dont have a time machine an I am truly sorry will have to cut it for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality