Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 04:52 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
.............so sure that God dosent exist??,i mean apart from that you think its unlikely,or apart from having bad religious experiences,,, because if anyone says anything about the existence of God,you all seem so sure that its just fairytales or spaghetti monsters and stuff,loads of things may be unliklely but that dont mean that its immpossible???
Very few of them claim they are sure it is not true, or impossible. What they claim is different to this… that it is no more plausible or credible than anything else you make up on the spot.

The say this for good reason… namely the complete lack of any supporting evidence, argument, data or reasons to lend credence or credibility to the claim.

Most of simply dismiss baseless claims. An “atheist” is really only someone who dismisses baseless claims specifically about gods.

There is, for example, no evidence argument data or reasons suggesting that alien abductions are happening. We simply proceed in life without that assumption therefore. We do not act like such abductions are happening… nor do we feel the need to find evidence that it is not happening. It is enough to point out the claims are baseless, dismiss them and move on.

All most atheists and secularists want is that “god” claims are treated the same way. They do not want special treatment, or anything extraordinary. Just that the claims about god is treated just like any other claims made on no basis at all.

Asking that one claim be treated like all other claims, without preferential treatment is more than fair is it not? Some people seem to think it is not alas, and that it is ok to dismiss all the OTHER baseless claims, but not theirs!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Very few of them claim they are sure it is not true, or impossible. What they claim is different to this… that it is no more plausible or credible than anything else you make up on the spot.

The say this for good reason… namely the complete lack of any supporting evidence, argument, data or reasons to lend credence or credibility to the claim.

Most of simply dismiss baseless claims. An “atheist” is really only someone who dismisses baseless claims specifically about gods.

There is, for example, no evidence argument data or reasons suggesting that alien abductions are happening. We simply proceed in life without that assumption therefore. We do not act like such abductions are happening… nor do we feel the need to find evidence that it is not happening. It is enough to point out the claims are baseless, dismiss them and move on.

All most atheists and secularists want is that “god” claims are treated the same way. They do not want special treatment, or anything extraordinary. Just that the claims about god is treated just like any other claims made on no basis at all.

Asking that one claim be treated like all other claims, without preferential treatment is more than fair is it not? Some people seem to think it is not alas, and that it is ok to dismiss all the OTHER baseless claims, but not theirs!!!
Very Good post. Wish I was smart enough to have made it.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:19 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, there need not be any justification for admitting something is possible. Only to declare something as definitive fact. Is there a God? I don't know. There could be. It is equally possible that there is, as that there isn't. Both are possibilities. To declare something is possible does not need to be justified, because you are not claiming it to be unerring fact.
You know my position. If you want to claim anything that is unfalsifiable as possible, then a near infinite unfalsifiable claims, must be accepted as possible. Something I would rather stamp as UNKNOWN. I do this, for the simple fact that it is UNKNOWN to be possible.
You on the other hand wish to push forward the unknown impossible, and the possible all under POSSIBLE. This is just dishonest.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:45 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Atheism doesn't equate to absolute certainty and most atheists don't claim to be 100% certain there is no god. The only thing that makes an atheist is the fact they don't believe in god claims.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
You know my position. If you want to claim anything that is unfalsifiable as possible, then a near infinite unfalsifiable claims, must be accepted as possible. Something I would rather stamp as UNKNOWN. I do this, for the simple fact that it is UNKNOWN to be possible.
You on the other hand wish to push forward the unknown impossible, and the possible all under POSSIBLE. This is just dishonest.
Yes, I know your position, and I guess I disagree with it. I have to be open to the idea that a great many things are possible, as I do not and cannot know for sure.

Leprechauns, God, alien life, ghosts...the list goes on. I cannot reasonably deny the possibility of these things existing, only that I have no personal experience with their existence. Just because I do not have experience with it, does not mean it does not exist, or could not exist.

Unknown, yes, but certainly possible. For a thing to be IMpossible, it would have to be known. And proven.

I don't know, so I remain open to an endless amount of possibilities regarding things I have no evidence for or against.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:56 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

This is repeatedly claimed but entirely false. You have allowed all the evidence for the Source of all that exists ("laws" of physics and chemistry, consistency and constants instead of chaos, Life, survival drive, etc.) to be classified as an unknown source and labeled with the euphemisms of ignorance (universe, nature, natural, emergent, self-organizing, spontaneous, random mutations, etc.).

It is so tiresome to have to constantly address these ignorant and arrogant presumptions because of the myriad absurd and unverifiable "beliefs about" God that abound. Dismissing the obvious existence of God by dismissing or refuting the myriad "beliefs about" God is illogical and irrational, period.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
The obvious existence of god? Obvious in your mind perhaps, but not to most of us...I'd say that your beliefs are the illogical and irrational ones....Speaking of tiresome....

Old 03-05-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yes, I know your position, and I guess I disagree with it. I have to be open to the idea that a great many things are possible, as I do not and cannot know for sure.

Leprechauns, God, alien life, ghosts...the list goes on. I cannot reasonably deny the possibility of these things existing, only that I have no personal experience with their existence. Just because I do not have experience with it, does not mean it does not exist, or could not exist.

Unknown, yes, but certainly possible. For a thing to be IMpossible, it would have to be known. And proven.

I don't know, so I remain open to an endless amount of possibilities regarding things I have no evidence for or against.
Your problem is that you don't understand the word "unknown", and somehow confusing it with "denying". People like you only read what you want to read.. or maybe you really don't understand simple English.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is repeatedly claimed but entirely false. You have allowed all the evidence for the Source of all that exists ("laws" of physics and chemistry, consistency and constants instead of chaos, Life, survival drive, etc.) to be classified as an unknown source and labeled with the euphemisms of ignorance (universe, nature, natural, emergent, self-organizing, spontaneous, random mutations, etc.).

It is so tiresome to have to constantly address these ignorant and arrogant presumptions because of the myriad absurd and unverifiable "beliefs about" God that abound. Dismissing the obvious existence of God by dismissing or refuting the myriad "beliefs about" God is illogical and irrational, period.
It is unknown mystic.....

Old 03-05-2011, 04:59 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Dismissing the obvious existence of God by dismissing or refuting the myriad "beliefs about" God is illogical and irrational, period.
What do you mean "obvious existence?"

I say what's obvious is that either there isn't one there or he/she/it doesn't give a damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality