Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2011, 04:41 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsPrince View Post
it is up to the person but not just instantly wanting to, other things that happen to the person, say me, that will change the persons mind. on a personal note i had a friend choose to be lesbian because she had horrible dating history with boys. so is she just trying to hide the fact that she was born with it or is she seriously changing due to that fact? and now i ask a question to you, if one is born gay or lesbian how can one change from gay to straight as many have before
Because they are bi-sexual by nature.
Choosing which way to go, if one does make that choice, involves many factors.
Taking advantage of either/or sure allows a larger pool of partners from which to draw

Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The churches I've been to have not once said "hate" is okay.
Move the goalposts much?

You stated that the Bible could not be used to promote hate because the Bible does not approve of hate.

Aside from the fact that the latter is trivially easy to disprove, and that the former is in no way dependent upon the latter being true at any rate, you're now completely changing your argument.

Claiming that none of the churches you've ever attended (which constitute a tiny, minute fraction of all churches) has given 'hate' the thumbs up is a completely different claim than that the Bible does not approve of hate (false though that claim is).

Old 10-17-2011, 09:58 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,131,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
For those Christians who think that homosexuality is wrong, do you -

1. Believe that God intends everybody to be heterosexual. Anybody who is homosexual is therefore "cursed" or "possessed by some sort of demon" and needs to be healed. Therefore, anybody who claims to be "homosexual" is in fact sinning simply by acknowledging this...
1. When I read Christian doctrine (ie the bible) - I consider common sense along with spirituality/intuition.
Therefore, I believe homosexuality is wrong, not because it is written in the bible, but because common sense tells me it is wrong.

2. I don't believe homosexuality is a "curse." I believe homosexual preferences are harmful beliefs & related feelings & behavior (which statistically proves to be harmful, sometimes fatal). When one realizes one's own psychology (study of the soul), better decisions can be made - in how to think - which will create more functional feelings & behavior.

3. We know that genes do nothing in themselves, but are "expressed" (turned on or not) by regulatory proteins, which are turned on by environmental signals. So one may have a tendency for some type of thing, but only if the environmental signals are present, will it be expressed.

I just came across this article related to parenting & homosexual preferences...

"Parents are easily the most important external force in the life of any child and, as would be suspected, contribute largely to the homosexual or heterosexual predisposition of their children. A professor of psychiatry at one of the nation's leading medical schools stated, 'Current research indicates that the family most likely to produce a homosexual comprises a very intimate, possessive and dominating mother and a detached, hostile father. Many mothers of lesbians tend to be hostile and competitive with their daughters. The fathers of female homosexuals seldom appear to play a dominant role in the family and have considerable difficulty being openly affectionate with their daughters'...

...the personality of the father is clearly not the sole cause of homosexuality. Other factors I have seen in the development of homosexuality include a hostile, feared older brother; a mother who is a very warm and attractive personality and proves more appealing to the boy than an emotionally removed father; a mother who is actively disdainful of masculinity; childhood seduction by another male; peer labelling of the boy due to poor athletic ability or timidity; in recent years, cultural factors encouraging a confused and uncertain youngster into an embracing gay community; and in the boy himself, a particularly sensitive, relatively fragile, often passive disposition."
How can I prevent my children from becoming homosexual?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
I'm sure you don't care about this, but the quotes you are using are about a book written in the 60's that has since been widely discredited.

His entire sample included ONLY homosexuals that were undergoing psychological therapy. Thus, he came to a conclusion that homosexuality was a mental illness. Shocking, eh?

One might wonder what would have happened if he interviewed happy, well adjusted gays.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
2. I don't believe homosexuality is a "curse." I believe homosexual preferences are harmful beliefs & related feelings & behavior (which statistically proves to be harmful, sometimes fatal). When one realizes one's own psychology (study of the soul), better decisions can be made - in how to think - which will create more functional feelings & behavior.
a) Heterosexual behaviors are 'sometimes fatal' as well. If your standard is 'sometimes fatal' then you should oppose all sexual activity, always. Not to mention driving, skiing, swimming, and just about every other human activity, as all are 'sometimes fatal'. If you refuse to oppose these 'sometimes fatal' activities, you tacitly admit that you are not opposed to things on the basis that they are 'sometimes fatal'.

b) Female homosexual behavior is safer than both male-male sex as well as male-female sex. So if you're going to claim a certain practice is preferable because it is safer, you should be advocating homosexual behavior for all women. And if you won't do that then you're a hypocrite for making the case on the basis that (some other behavior is more dangerous) in the first place. Let me guess-- you don't oppose having children because childbirth is more dangerous than not having children, do you? See? You don't really oppose homosexuality because it is 'more dangerous'. That's just an excuse (and a bad one, because it only applies to male homosexuality, not female homosexuality).

You're just trying -- futily, I might add -- to find something to rationalize your religion-based opinions.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'm sure you don't care about this, but the quotes you are using are about a book written in the 60's that has since been widely discredited.

His entire sample included ONLY homosexuals that were undergoing psychological therapy. Thus, he came to a conclusion that homosexuality was a mental illness. Shocking, eh?

One might wonder what would have happened if he interviewed happy, well adjusted gays.
Also telling is the vague:
A professor of psychiatry at one of the nation's leading medical schools stated, "Current research indicates..."

How convenient that neither the professor nor the 'leading medical school' is identified...

Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Boxcar,
I realize no one person has 100% of the truth.
That doesn't shock me. lol
I just thought it was an interesting perspective or possibilities, as a parent.

Obviously, anatomically, we are designed to be heterosexual.
If you must, look at an anatomy picture, or check out your own.
We know that environmental influences dictate whether one's genetic tedencies will be expressed or not.
So, it's good to consider possible environmental influences that contribute to one developing homosexual preferences & related statistically harmful behavior.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
You're just trying -- futily, I might add -- to find something to rationalize your religion-based opinions.
Please specify exactly what phrase of my writings indicate that my oppinions are "religion-based."
If anything, in rereading my post, you'll see that I don't rely on the bible to tell me which 2 anatomy parts fit together without problem & which don't.

According to the United States Center for Disease Control,
homosexuals, particularly, sexually active men are statistically much more likely to contract HIV, AIDS & STDs than are heterosexuals...

http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/docs/fastfacts-msm-final508comp.pdf (broken link)

CDC - Sexually Transmitted Diseases - Gay and Bisexual Men's Health

Old 10-17-2011, 10:59 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
I'm not sure why the anatomical design of our genitals is important. Most heterosexuals have had, and continue to have, sexual experiences beyond the range of just vaginal intercourse. But I rarely hear anyone object to the unnatural use of the genitals when we heterosexuals do it.

Let me ask you an honest question; do you object to heterosexual oral sex with the same intensity that you object to homosexual oral sex? Anal Sex?

Or do you only get around to criticizing it when it's gay people who use their genitals in exotic ways?

Because according you your logic, we should only rightfully use our genitals for vaginal intercourse.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Please specify exactly what phrase of my writings indicate that my oppinions are "religion-based."
You mean aside from the part where you link to a site that prominently claims, repeatedly, "THE BIBLE CONDEMNS HOMOSEXUAL SEX"?

Quote:
If anything, in rereading my post, you'll see that I don't rely on the bible to tell me which 2 anatomy parts fit together without problem & which don't.
Ah, the whole 'unnatural' argument. But you didn't mention that at all in your previous post. No surprise-- I have little doubt that shifting the goalposts is a standard part of your repertoire of dishonesty.

Quote:
According to the United States Center for Disease Control,
homosexuals, particularly, sexually active men are statistically much more likely to contract HIV, AIDS & STDs than are heterosexuals...

http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/docs/fastfacts-msm-final508comp.pdf (broken link)

CDC - Sexually Transmitted Diseases - Gay and Bisexual Men's Health
No, according to the CDC, not particularly male homosexuals but only male homosexuals. The CDC is very clear that female-female transmission of STDs is extremely low.
http://www.gmhc.org/files/editor/fil...paper_0609.pdf

Take HIV: the CDC is unable to confirm a single instance of female-female HIV transmission. It lists one - one - probable case. Ever. And where STD transmission between females occurs, it is largely from one female who has shared needles or had sex with men in the past to another.

Look, I understand why you try and lump all homosexuals together-- your idiotic "Gay sex is more dangerous!" argument is completely gutted by the reality that lesbian sex is far safer than heterosexual sex. It completely destroys your silly claim that all heterosexual sex is safer than all homosexual sex, therefore heterosexual sex is prefereable.

Instead, by your argument that safer sex is preferable, then all women should engage only in female-female sex, since this is safer. Of course, this is hardly the argument you want to convey.

If you stop making stupid arguments, I'll stop pointing out how stupid they are. Deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality